Mics used to mic Guitars

Siriun

Apr 24, 2012
Hey peeps,

Just wondering what your general go-to preference is for recording guitars.
I know the 57 and 421 is always a good choice, but do any of you have any different selection in mics you use for micing a cab? (ie 121, i5, 405, etc)

Just curious as to what different sound/mic combinations you guys have used aside from the 57/421 standard for metal. And for the record, I'm talking about recording metal, as I know tone and mics decisions can be broad and differ.

I like using an i5 and PR20, mostly for blending with a 57. The Cascade Fathead II is good also on guitars.

I have a my trusty 57. I've been wanting to buy an i5 for a while now but I've been wanting to hear some actual bands/albums with an i5 used on the guitars. If someone could point me in the right direction on a song with an i5 used in it that'd be great!

SM57 is ALWAYS on the cab. If other things don't cut it in the mix you can always rely on the 57 to give you something useable. Been like the transformerless 57 quite a bit recently. Less harsh highs, more bottom end and a bit less of the honky part of the midrange. You end up sacrificing a bit of cut though.

I5 I've tried a few times and while I always prefer it in solo it tends to come across as a bit harsh in the mix.

421 is cool blended with a 57. I also like the AT4040 if you get the placement right.

i try the i5 every time i record guitars, and always ditch it for a 57 track. there's just something about it that brings out the nastiness in distorted guitars...but this same characteristic makes me pick it over a 57 every time on snare

i also like using my AT 4033...and you can't go wrong with a ribbon of any kind

57 on the front of the cab and a D6 on the back of the cab. phase reverse the D6 and you will be amazed.

also, I haven't tried my cascade fathead I mics yet, but those should be interesting to say the least.

Almost always SM57 coupled with MD421, but have also had good results with SM7, e609, i5. I'm gasing badly for a Royer 121, though...

Does anyone know which mics they used in the late 70s, early 80s? I always find that the guitars on albums like "Killers", "High Voltage" or "Kill 'em all" have a lot more aggressive, dirty midrange than guitars on recent records.

Does anyone know which mics they used in the late 70s, early 80s? I always find that the guitars on albums like "Killers", "High Voltage" or "Kill 'em all" have a lot more aggressive, dirty midrange than guitars on recent records.

Ride The Lightning, I believe was an SM57, U87, B&K (now DPA) 4006, and an AKG C12 reissue. Same for Puppets, while AJFA (should have been in the final mix) was an SM7 and U87 up close, C12VR and B&K 4006 out in the room.

Most other rock guitars were usually miced up with an AKG D12, 414, or various Neumanns (U67 or U87). This is, of course, as far as I know.

SM57 + e906 are my 2 go to mics. I haven't heard anything better yet for High Gain stuff. And if Andy and Fredrik are anything to go buy.. an SM57 will still get you the best tones in metal

I really like using sennheiser e935. A bit brighter than sm 57.

Woah - I've never even tried any of the vocal range on guitars (or anything other than vocals, for that matter). Should give them a go.. The 935 and 945 are incredible on vocals..

As for guitars, I'm a HUGE fan of the old Sennheiser 409s and 509s (if you're lucky enough to have any). Also love the 906.

I only recently got a Sennheiser 903 - these are discontinued and Sennheiser in NZ had a few kicking around, one of which I grabbed to try out.. These things are AWESOME on guitar! I used one of those Shure drum mic clips and had the 903 clipped onto the 906's stand and had the capsules perfectly aligned - sounded awesome. In fact, I'll try get into the studio sometime in the near future to get some samples.

Also a fan of the 421 and the 441 - both sound fantastic but I've always felt they needed to be blended with another option - normally 409/509.