SSD panning question

ashgallows

resonant manipulator
Oct 22, 2007
Culver City
www.myspace.com
sorry kind of a stupid question, but i was wondering if you guys bounce the kicks and snares each down to stereo tracks and then pan to center on the audio track or leave the pan out wide? Or do you just bounce to mono and center it? I'm not used to have stereo anything when it comes to kick or snare and am wondering how the center image is setup for this thing.

I've only owned the program for 2 days now, but sending out the dry kick and snare in mono and everything that is panned/recorded with multipe mics in stereo worked very well. You could also send toms and stuff to a monochannel and pan them by hand, but I went lazymode and sent them to stereo. If you want to route a full kit, you will have to keep in mind that there are only limited mono/stereo outputs coming out of the sampler though, but I didn't run into issues so far.

If they were recorded straight up close mic only mono is fine, however I have a feeling that slate samples are a blend of close and overhead mics, which would require you to use stereo.

Anyone here know how the samples have been recorded?

If they were recorded straight up close mic only mono is fine, however I have a feeling that slate samples are a blend of close and overhead mics, which would require you to use stereo.

Anyone here know how the samples have been recorded?

This is true. The microphones have been split up conveniently already though :) For example, when you hit a snare, you get a signal through the mono mics of both top and bottomsnare (and additional mono tracks for layered snares you've put on top of them), but you also get a stereo output of the snare in the room- and overhead mics on separate tracks. So it's really like you are recording a drumkit yourself. Very nice imo.

gotcha, now my question is, the kick for example: if i bounce the kick down which is on two channels in the instrument, when that is committed to a stereo audio track, is it mean to be panned center on both channels or hard panned as it was recorded to be that way?

Hmm, sorry I'm not quite following. Maybe it's because I'm ill and my thoughts are filtered by a thick layer of snot right now :D

Maybe someone else can chime in?

i took into account what you were saying and it seems he has it designed to work with the overhead mics, which are seperate from the rooms as they are part of the individual tracks. panned them out wide seems to still leave the kick/snare in the middle but the oh's are panned out accordingly. It seems like his reasoning is that you kind of pan internally in the instrument and then just bounce to stereo and pan out wide to preserve the image. The kicks seem less "clacky" when you do this as well.

I had same question. My snare sounds like it's coming out if right speaker. The track shows it to in meter of abate and kick

i took into account what you were saying and it seems he has it designed to work with the overhead mics, which are seperate from the rooms as they are part of the individual tracks. panned them out wide seems to still leave the kick/snare in the middle but the oh's are panned out accordingly. It seems like his reasoning is that you kind of pan internally in the instrument and then just bounce to stereo and pan out wide to preserve the image. The kicks seem less "clacky" when you do this as well.

Exactly, you have the kick and snare as mono instruments that you can send to mono outputs to your DAW and you'll have the room and OH mics as stereo so you should use the stereo outputs.
What I usually do with SSD is to have the kick and snare to mono outs, and toms (with panning), OH and room to stereo outs. I could have each tom as a separate mono track to pan and process them in the DAW but I haven't found it necessary to have different processing for each tom.

Did this clear things up? Or did it become more confusing? :loco:

Ok so SSD using cubase it automatic at creates stereo tracks for kick and snare. I can't change that so your saying create a another two tracks abs have the stereo go into the mono.

to achieve control over the balance of your snare image, the snare itself must be panned or bussed mono and the rooms/ambience etc must be panned out in stereo. the snare is the "mid" and the ambience is the "side" if you want to look at it that way.

Exactly, you have the kick and snare as mono instruments that you can send to mono outputs to your DAW and you'll have the room and OH mics as stereo so you should use the stereo outputs.
What I usually do with SSD is to have the kick and snare to mono outs, and toms (with panning), OH and room to stereo outs. I could have each tom as a separate mono track to pan and process them in the DAW but I haven't found it necessary to have different processing for each tom.

Did this clear things up? Or did it become more confusing? :loco:

I do exactly the same things

Cheers :kickass: