Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello guys,

I'm gas-ing for this :
Duende_PCIe_angle_web.jpg

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/news/article.asp?ID=40&T=M

- Duende PCIe with still the original EQ and BusComp plugins,
- said upgraded v3.0 and from 32 Channelstrip mono instances to 128 if placed on Intel processor
- that a friend of trust is selling for... 350€.

That would save me a lot of CPU. Do you see any black point today about the duende PCIe ? Do any of you own it and can talk about it ?

Yeah, I bought one for 400 eu used some time ago

- search gearslutz for opinions, some people have problems with the hardware cousing problems, mine works fine though.

- The Channel and Bus Comp are a bit more softer sounding than the Waves SSL

- The extra plugins are pretty expensive :/ but there are some discount deals from time to time.

Anywho, hard to say if it's worth it over native plugs, you can pick it up, test it and then sell it again, dunno

Well, the fact that it's a DSP card is already a point for me. I don't plan on buying a new computer so it's why I'm interested on this, because otherwise, I'm quite happy with my native plugins.

Here you find the specs. I have an AMD athlon 64 X2, so that means he is wrong and I can use the V3 version of the software and therefore use the upgraded dsp power ?

I have one and use the X-Comp and X-EQ all the time, great plugins. My comp isn't the greatest anymore either so the DSP helps. I kept mine on V2. I do have the occasional problem where it doesn't register which is fucking annoying but can usually be fixed with a reboot.

Okay. He told me that the optionnal plugins are actually impressive, he mentionned the reverb too.

I've had my friend on phone, and he explained me that the 32 to 128 upgrade is only possible for intel processors. With my AMD I can still upgrade to V3 but will not activate the 128 option. But he explained me it's about sharing the treatment with the computer CPU, which is still faster because files are loaded on the card but it's not 100% DSP processing. So it's about being able to have more than 32 instances using the plugs like a native vst.