St Petersbourg

Haha. I do think he's talkin' about ladies swingin' on poles. Capitalism at it's purest, some might say. :]

We call it the canadian ballet in my neck of the woods. :]

ColdDarkNord said:
...and as I know that situation with metal is awful in St-Petersburg, u need to come to Moscow for this stuff

METAL IS AWESOME IN PITER!!!!!
take morrah for example!!! they kick some serious ass!!!!
amatory is amazing too!!!
and dont forget where russian rock started out: kino, alisa, ddt, akvarium.

and btw, i hope you got to visit castle rock, its an amazing music/merch store...
damnit i wish i came here earlier, i was in st. petersburg in late july/august...
come back next year

metu said:
What kind of festivals happen in St Petersburg?

What can you tell us about Kino, Alisa, DDT and Akvarium?

there are no real metal festivals in Petersburg. but there are a lot of metal concerts. there are several rock festivals though. in june, ther usually is Okna Otkroy (open the windows), it features biggest rock bands in russia, and some of the smaller ones too.
then there are free local rock shows may 23rd (day of petersburg's foundation). and there is always june 22, and august 15. there are rock concerts on those days ALWAYS. (those dates are birth and death dates, of Victor Tsoi, the singer/guitarist of Kino).

Kino and Akvarium were first really succesfull rock bands in russia. although "successfull" then meant something else then it does now. then it meant that a few thousand people knew about you in the city, and that you played at peoples apartments for booze. but when the communist party realised that rock music can be beneficial, they started legalizing rock concerts. they even opened "Rock Club".
Alisa is a very succesfull band, that started out just after Kino did (early 80s). i never got much into them. their singer is considered by some to have caused the accident that killed Tsoi (Tsoi was returning from fishing, in Latvia on august 15 1991, and fell alseep behind the wheel, drove off the road, and crashed in a bus). there is some ground for that speculation. Kino and Alisa have been rivals by that time, and it was almost impossible to fall asleep for Tsoi under the circumstances.
DDT started out in mid 80s, but did not get popular until early 90s, when they released "actrisa vesna" ("actress spring") album. they are probably THE most popular rock band today, that started out in the 80s.

if you are interested, i can find and post some links to their mp3s.

Coooool!! What bands from out of country come to play in St Pete's? What kind of venues are there and how are the crowds? What shows have you seen which are most memorable and why?

Gin_from_the_bottle said:
if you are interested, i can find and post some links to their mp3s.

You know it! Mp3s, articles, (good) interviews... whatever you've got. My time for such research comes and goes, but my thirst for it never does.

several good bands came to play in st. petersburg over the last 10 years. but its hard for western bands to earn comparable profits in russia, this is due to the fact that ticket prices are low, compared to the rest of the world. heres a small list of bands that played in piter (thats the way russians call st. petersburg): rage against the machine, biohazard, nightwish, finntroll, cradle of filth, tyr, slayer (im pretty sure they played in petersburg, not only in moscow), and prodigy.
to be quiet honest, i never saw a metal show in russia. rock concerts though get a lot of older generation people, those who listened to the stones, and the who on western radio stations in the 70s... but many young people show up for them too. also one more distinctive character of russian concert venues is the fact that 98% of them are seated. at least they were a few years back. but i doubt that it changed. the fact that most shows are seated leads to often fatal outbreaks of violence. also, if there is a mosh pit, its ALWAYS crazy. imagine that: you came to see nightwish, and the crowd is moshing like its lamb of god playing. also, it is not too uncommon for a riot to happen after a big concert. as a matter of fact, almost at every concert with a crowd over 1000 people, the swat teams are guarding all the entrances, or even worse, have the venue in a circle, until the doors open (supposedly so no one will sneak in weapons).

here are some mp3s:
kino - v poiskah syuzheta (in search of a theme)
ftp://inix.ath.cx/kinoman/neisvestnie/06.mp3

kino - posledniy geroy (last hero)
ftp://inix.ath.cx/kinoman/neisvestnie/08.mp3

kino - vremya est' a deneg net (theres time, butno money)
ftp://63.220.35.105/45/01.mp3

kino - general
ftp://63.220.35.105/46/12.mp3

kino - ya obyavlyau svoy dom (i declare my home)
ftp://63.220.35.105/enl/07.mp3

kino - videli noch (saw the night)
ftp://63.220.35.105/notch/01.mp3

agata kristi - kak na voyne (sa on the war)
http://dl2.zvuki.ru/278/mp3/4.mp3

agata kristi - dekadance
http://dl2.zvuki.ru/278/mp3/14.mp3

grazhdanskaya oborona - nasrat' na svoe lico (take a shit on your own face)
http://grant.pp.ru/grobrec/go/total/13.mp3

ddt - chto takoe osen' (what is the autumn)
http://dl2.zvuki.ru/238/mp3/7.mp3

korosia metalla - chelovek so shramom (human with a scar)
http://dl2.zvuki.ru/536/mp3/1.mp3

i couldnt find any working links to aria's songs. and im not too sure of the quality of the songs either. if you want more links to the bands, then just post here and ill post more.

psilocybe larvae were supposed to play in arctica (i think) not too long ago...
(hopefully) next spring ill be able to travel to europe. so far my planned stops inlude: germany, st. petersburg, and finland. much concert going will be had, and much drinking, blazing, and generally having a good time will be had.

Soulburner, I had exams that time, sorry.
I have been to Psilocybe Larvae, but I've missed their performance due to the unexpected circumstances. :erk: