Staff Picks of 2006

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Welcome to UltimateMetal.com’s Staff Picks of 2006! It’s been a great year for metal, and we have plenty to say about it. Below you will find our individual staff picks – organized alphabetically by first name – with links to the corresponding reviews and commentaries underneath. Also, while some staff members chose to compile a Top 25, others opted for a Top 10 and a few even decided to remain silent.

Agree with our choices? Disagree? What’s on your Best of 2006 list? We want to know what you think!

Amanda a.k.a. The Metal Chick

1. Vanden Plas – Christ 0
Few releases this year can measure up to the greatness that is this album. By far the best of their career, and the best prog metal album in a long time. I bow to their awesomeness.

2. Blind Guardian – A Twist in the Myth
This album showcases how Blind Guardian can move forward musically while still keeping their classic style behind it all. I really like the new direction they’ve taken, and I think it’s pretty near impossible for them to release a bad album.

3. Elvenking – The Winter Wake
This band is so much fun with their folk metal style. Violins in metal really are cool. These crazy Italians just cannot disappoint.

4. Eternal Tears of Sorrow – Before the Bleeding Sun
One of a handful of bands in the death metal realm that I can’t get enough of. This album is dark, evil, and beautiful.

5. Into Eternity – A Scattering of Ashes
Here is another band that can probably never release a bad album. This one is their best by a long shot, and I now have a new respect for how great this band really is.

6. Scar Symmetry – Pitch Black Progress
In the same style as Into Eternity, but a little heavier and darker. They’ve improved with this album, and they can only get better from here.

7. Angra – Aurora Consurgens
I don’t care what anyone else says, this is one of the best Angra releases of all time. It made me a true Angra fan – something their previous albums couldn’t quite do.

8. Dragonforce – Inhuman Rampage
The ultimate in melodic speed power metal. Others of this style can only aspire to be this cool.

9. Falconer – Northwind
Another folk metal band with their best album to date. The singer is amazing, a voice you don’t find in metal. Falconer fans should love this.

10. Circle II Circle – Burden of Truth
This is my introduction to CIIC, and certainly an impressive one. They’re led by one of the greatest metal singers of all time, Zak Stevens, so that right there makes the band worthy of attention.

11. Mercenary – The Hours That Remain
11. Venturia – New Kingdom
13. Moonspell – Memorial
14. Pyramaze – Legend of the Bone Carver
15. Tarot – Crows Fly Black
16. Edguy – Rocket Ride
17. Rage – Speak of the Dead
18. Manigance – L’ombre et la Lumiere
19. Eidolon – Parallel Otherworld
20. Warcry – La Quinta Esencia
21. Tears of Anger – In the Shadows
22. Vision Divine – The Perfect Machine
23. Persuader – When Eden Burns
24. Section A – Parallel Lives
25. Zero Hour – Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond

Jason a.k.a. circus_brimstone

I have absolutely no complaints this year. It seems I never do. 2006 saw remarkable returns by veterans and stunning debuts from several newcomers. At the time of publication I had listened to 152 albums released in 2006 alone, and of course considered them all for inclusion in this year’s best-of list.

1. Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
As far as I’m concerned, this is the perfect Agalloch album. Songs like ‘Falling Snow,’ ‘Not Unlike the Waves,’ and ‘Our Fortress is Burning: II – Bloodbirds’ kept me revisiting time and time again.

2. Drudkh – Blood in Our Wells
I’m not alone in the sense that I, like many of you, can’t get enough of this Ukrainian black/folk band. The Swan Road topped best-of lists last year, and Blood in Our Wells should claim the same honors. ‘Furrows of Gods’ is one of my favorite tracks from 2006.

3. Giant Squid – Metridium Fields
The End had a great year, and so did Giant Squid. Though less eccentric than many of their labelmates, GS prove no slouch in the songwriting department as Metridium Fields is compelling from beginning to end.

4. Enslaved – Ruun
Further widening the gap between traditional black metal and themselves, Enslaved follow up Below the Lights and the more like-minded Isa with Ruun – a progressive post-black outing that excels on all levels. At first it’s not as pleasing as the above-mentioned record – it’s true I still prefer BtL and I – but given some time it makes a name for itself. By that time, you won’t be able to stop listening to it.

5. Cult of Luna – Somewhere Along the Highway
This one really snuck up on me. I thought I’d given it plenty of time, but after writing it off as a decent album and shelving it, I kept returning over and over. Cult of Luna, though I am of the opinion that they haven’t yet peaked, have tons of potential, and somewhere along the way, Somewhere Along the Highway clicked with me and I haven’t looked back since.

6. Envy – Insomniac Doze
Japan’s Envy are no strangers to the post-rock crowd, and Insomniac Doze is an improvement over its more scatterbrained predecessor A Dead Sinking Story. While the lyrics are all sung in Japanese – they’re translated in the booklet for English-speaking audiences – Envy manage to be incredibly emotive in spite of the language barrier. ‘Scene’ is one of my favorite songs of the year, too.

7. Unexpect – In a Flesh Aquarium
In a Flesh Aquarium is truly an accomplishment for avant-garde, Canadian group Unexpect. Featuring jawdropping musicianship, well-thought-out songwriting, and a stellar production, Unexpect’s IaFA witnesses the band at the top of their game. The End was smart for signing ‘em.

8. Summoning – Oath Bound
Despite being my introduction to Tolkien-obsessed Summoning, I had no trouble warming up to Oath Bound. The songs they come up with are mindblowing – see ‘Mirdautas Vras’ and ‘Land of the Dead’ for details – and from what I hear OB is on par with most, if not all, of their back catalog.

9. Converge – No Heroes
Converge are back with a vengeance. You Fail Me was mildly disappointing considering they were coming off Jane Doe, but No Heroes proves they’re back on top.

10. Katatonia – The Great Cold Distance
Consistent beyond belief, Sweden’s Katatonia turn in another spellbinding full-length with The Great Cold Distance. Some of the material even stands up to prior favorites, and the band sounds as good as they ever have.

11. Amorphis – Eclipse
12. Red Sparowes – Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
13. Russian Circles – Enter
14. Vader – Impressions in Blood
15. Wolves in the Throne Room – Diadem of 12 Stars
16. Fuck the Facts – Stigmata High-Five
17. Mouth of the Architect – The Ties That Blind
18. Isis – In the Absence of Truth
19. Anata - The Conductor's Departure
20. Arsis – United in Regret
21. Nachtmystium – Instinct: Decay
22. Benighted – Identisick
23. Canvas Solaris – Penumbra Diffuse
24. All Shall Perish – The Price of Existence
25. Negura Bunget – Om

Nathan a.k.a. Nate The Great

1. Celtic Frost – Monotheist
It’s nearly impossible for a metal album to offer more than this. These veterans have not only learned from their students, they’ve turned around and put on a clinic in blackened metal that all their followers will be scrambling to match in the following years.

2. Blut Aus Nord – MoRT
This is the definition of “falling into the abyss”. MoRT swirls its blackness around the listener creating one of the most uncomfortable experiences in quite a few years.

3. Moonspell – Memorial
Sometimes sheer enjoyment has to be a factor in rating an album at year-end. Memorial is outstanding in its ability to pull the listener into this band’s awesome gothic metal.

4. Enslaved – Ruun
This album is quite possibly the best of this band’s last 3 albums…and that’s saying a lot.

5. Drudkh – Blood in Our Wells
It’s fair to say Drudkh is going to have trouble staying “underground” after this album. A true masterpiece of Burzumic black metal, this album is light years beyond that simple classification.

6. Converge – No Heroes
This band continues to push boundaries and explore the outer ranges of song structure and stellar musicianship. Aggressive and emotional…what more can you ask for?

7. Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
This is probably the album that will catapult this band to new heights. More indie-rock, less black metal, but all for the better.

8. Katatonia – The Great Cold Distance
A unique album in that it was a disappointment to me early on. Over time I slowly was pulled into it’s modern spin on the amazing Discouraged Ones.

9. Wolves in the Throne Room – Diadem of 12 Stars
Possibly the USA’s best black metal band. This is exactly what I think of when I think of Pacific Northwest Black Metal.

10. Intronaut – Void
With Mastodon flopping around on the beach like a dead fish, we’re lucky to have a band that can pick up where they left off…of course the inclusion of death metal and the exclusion of any southern comfort makes them an entity all their own.

11. Daylight Dies – Dismantling Devotion
12. Mouth of the Architect – The Ties That Blind
13. These Arms Are Snakes – Easter
14. Anaal Nathrakh – Eschaton
15. Scald – Vermiculatus
16. Microwaves – Contagion Heuristic
17. Isis – In the Absence of Truth
18. Negura Bunget – Om
19. Wolf Eyes – Human Animal
20. Fall of the Leafe – Vantage
21. Wolverine – Still
22. Textures – Drawing Circles
23. In Flames – Come Clarity
24. Merrimack – Of Entropy and Life Denial
25. Thralldom – A Shaman Steering the Vessel of Vastness

Phil a.k.a. dill_the_devil

I won't be listing Top Ten releases this year. There are a couple of reasons for this, the most pertinent being that I haven't actually had a chance to listen to much of anything that hasn't specifically been sent to me for review in 2006. This means that there are rather significant gaps in my knowledge of and familiarity with this year's releases. While there have been stand-out albums amongst the piles sent to me this year – Celtic Frost's Monotheist, Vader's Impressions in Blood and Manatees' Untitled all spring to mind – I wouldn't feel comfortable including such albums in an apparently definitive 'Top Ten' list when I have yet to fully absorb (or even listen to) other releases such as Isis' In the Absence of Truth, Blut Aus Nord's MoRT and Napalm Death's Smear Campaign.

Rodrigo Escandon

Unfortunately my output for UltimateMetal continues to be minimal compared to previous years but the with added responsibilities at my job and obtaining an MBA it has really been difficult for me to give UM more time. However, at least I have stayed on top of things and listened to well over 100 2006 releases that were all considered for this best-of list.

1. Cult of Luna – Somewhere Along the Highway
An album that truly affected me in a personal matter, Somewhere Along the Highway is a monumental achievement from a band that keeps getting better with each album.

2. Drudkh – Blood in Our Wells
Drudkh continue to prove that they are unrivaled with their brand of black/folk metal. Blood in Our Wells would have been number 1 in any other year.

3. Summoning – Oath Bound
After a long break, the heavily Tolkien-influenced Summoning have come back with an amazing album. ‘Land of the Dead’ and ‘Mirdautas Vras’ (sung in the black language of Mordor) are two of the best songs of the year.

4. Benighted – Identisick
I will not back down in saying that this is the best death metal album since 1998’s The Sound of Perseverance.

5. Peste Noire – La Sanie des Siècles - Panégyrique De La Dégénerescence
This is without a doubt one of the best black metal debuts ever. Peste Noire’s blend of raw production values, melodic sounds courtesy of both electric and acoustic guitars, tortured screams and mid-tempo pace takes you into a world of anguish and despair that is completely captivating.

6. Suidakra – Caledonia
With guitarist Marcel Schoenen back in the band, Suidakra also returned to their folk roots and crafted what could possibly be their best album.

7. Andromeda – Chimera
I was never a big fan of Andromeda’s last album II=I, which felt cold and too technical for its own good, so Chimera definitely caught me by surprise. David Fremberg’s singing is phenomenal and the rest of the band led by the talented Johan Reinholdz have crafted catchy, melodic and memorable songs that are not overdone with unnecessary technical prowess.

8. Manticora – The Black Circus Part 1 – Letters
One word that can easily describe Denmark’s Manticora is consistent. The Black Circus Part 1 – Letters is the band’s fifth release and I can’t think of one negative aspect on any of their releases. This is another excellent addition to the band’s catalogue and I can’t wait for Part 2.

9. Kalmah – The Black Waltz
The Black Waltz brought major changes for Kalmah. For starters, Pekka now sings in a lower and deeper growl (much more similar to death metal style singing). In addition, the keyboards were put more in the background and more emphasis was shown with the guitars. As a result, Kalmah now sounds much heavier and much better than ever.

10. Mastodon – Blood Mountain
Let’s get it out of the way, Blood Mountain is not as good as its predecessor but could Mastodon have topped Leviathan with the follow-up? I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch to answer “No” to that question. By not comparing it to Leviathan I was able to enjoy the many qualities of Blood Mountain much more and I definitely began to like it more and more after my initial disappointment with it.

11. Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
12. Negura Bunget – OM
13. Red Sparowes – Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
14. Converge – No Heroes
15. Wolf – The Black Flame
16. Astral Doors – Astralism
17. Yakuza – Samsara
18. Amon Amarth – With Oden on Our Side
19. Heaven Shall Burn – Deaf to Our Prayers
20. Enslaved – Ruun
21. Iron Maiden – A Matter of Life and Death
22. Amorphis – Eclipse
23. Hammers of Misfortune – The Locust Years
24. Anaal Nathrakh – Eschaton
25. Aborym – Generator

Russell

This has been a good year – relatively rarely do I pick up on and enjoy so many new releases so quickly. There are some gaps I still have to fill: while there are a few albums I want to hear that I haven’t had the chance to get my hands on yet, the biggest issue has been finding the opportunity to give each album the listening time it deserves. At the time of publication (What, me, steal an idea? Never. [Cheers Jason!]) I’ve listened to about 400 albums released in 2006, and edited reviews of a further 600. To check out everything in those reviews, or give every promo that’s passed through my hands on the way to review for UM as much time as I would if I were to review it myself, or had bought it, would be tricky…. So I’ve cheated and indicated this on my list (Man is this going to bug Jason with his format pedantry…. Hah!).

Top Ten:

1. My Dying Bride – A Line of Deathless Kings
I’ve never been the biggest MDB fan. They’ve always been good, some albums great, but rarely have I enjoyed one of their CDs as soon – and as consistently – as A Line of Deathless Kings. As ever, the band sounds as happy as a bulimic in a pie-eating contest (See that line between edgy and outright offensive? I think I just gaily danced over it), but beyond puerile similes, this is emotive, majestic, and hugely memorable.

2. Disillusion – Gloria
A major step away from Back to Times of Splendor, this is a courageous, exciting release. I can see why this may piss fans off, but in my opinion this is a daring, original, and truly well thought-out release, which deserves recognition. It makes me warm inside…like when I used to climb the rope in gym.

3. Covenant – Skyshaper
This being a list for UM, I’ve largely stuck to metal (and I’m indecisive at the best of times, narrowing my choices makes it all a little easier). Yet I couldn’t keep this one off – Covenant are one of my favourite EBM bands, and have proved unbelievably consistent over the years. With Skyshaper they have proved again how damn good they are at writing downcast and unforgettable future-pop.

4. Christopher – Abandoned in Situ
It’s been five years since Christopher’s last CD, but the wait has been worth it. This mix of classical, industrial metal (kinda) and world music is compelling (but not entirely accessible – it grows), well-written, and original. Plus the very high standard of this self-release shows some artists need a label as much as an ass-kicking contest needs a one-legged amputee. A lot of labels don’t get this professional.

5. Negura Bunget – OM
If you spend your time contemplating the vast void and darkness so inherent to your soul while roasting marshmallows on a burning church, I’m guessing OM is your number one album this year. Either that or you haven’t heard it yet. The dark, dark atmosphere of this release constantly transports me back to when I was first getting into black metal, and for that alone it deserves to be in my top ten. Great stuff.

6. Cradle Of Filth – Thornography
I’m not a Cradle fan. In fact – much to my other half’s annoyance – I spend a lot of time being disdainful towards them, which is perhaps why just writing this makes me feel dirty (like when I used to climb the rope in gym!). But this is really a very good album. Straightforward metal, with fewer symphonics and decent songs. I expect to like it (like climbing the rope in gym), but I couldn’t help it (like…well, you see where I’m going with this. But I’m just kidding really; I never liked the gym ropes.).

7. To-Mera – Transcendental
Much as I’d like to take this entire paragraph making jokes about Lee_B and pies (I wonder if Lee ever climbed the rope in gym?) – and then wait for his disparaging comments calling me a dirty hippy, with the usual insults about my trousers and girly hair (all fair game really as he’s not actually that large [don’t tell him I said that]) – that would be doing the band a disservice because this is actually a very good release. To-Mera have done a great job with Transcendental, which manages to be prog without being stereotypical, technical without being forgettable, and varied while remaining cohesive. Very nice (Hey, where’d my pie go?).

8. Envy – Insomniac Doze
I’ve followed Envy since All the Footsteps…, and Insomniac Doze marks another step in their gradual evolution from screamo (as it should be done, I hasten to add) towards more post-rock influenced and original territory. But above all this, it is emotive – I can’t speak Japanese for shit, yet that proves no problem in catching the mood of the songs.

9. Katatonia – The Great Cold Distance
At first I was a little nonplussed on hearing The Great Cold Distance, but with time (and winter!) it’s really started to grow on me. Another excellent album from an inspiringly consistent band.

10. Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
I really don’t need to say anything that hasn’t already been said. So…umm…lovely weather we’re having isn’t it? Uh, yeah, creationism, pretty entertaining huh? But I'll tell you what's dead. Vaudeville. You know what killed it? Talkie pictures. But you can still make it. You just need a gimmick. I, for one, am a tumbler….

Honourable Mentions:
Aborym - Generator
Electric Mud Generator – The Sun Will Rise
Novembre – Materia
Shade Empire – Intoxicate O.S.
Summoning – Oath Bound

Stuff I Haven’t Listened to Enough to Tell If It’ll Be in My Top List:
Amorphis – Eclipse
Anata – The Conductor's Departure
Celtic Frost – Monotheist
The Ocean – Aeolian
Madder Mortem – Desiderata
Yyrkoon – Unhealthy Opera
Ihsahn – The Adversary
Manatees – Untitled
Enslaved – Ruun
Unexpect – In a Flesh Aquarium

Stuff I Haven’t Heard but May Well Feature on My List If I Had:
Cult of Luna – Somewhere Along the Highway
Converge – No Heroes
Wolves in the Throne Room – Diadem of 12 Stars
Isis – In the Absence of Truth
Blut Aus Nord – MoRT
Drudkh – Blood in Our Wells
Wolverine – Still
Insomnium – Above the Weeping World
The Gathering – Homed
Hammers of Misfortune – The Locust Years

Tom Strutton

As usual I spent most of my year trawling through the last 35 years of popular music history, playing catch up. However, I did find the time to listen to and appreciate several outstanding releases of 2006. No doubt the early part of 2007 will be used to familiarize myself with the great albums of 2006 that slipped past me unnoticed. Only two albums released in 2006 really made my jaw hit the floor so far, these being the first two on my list. As for the other four…I would recommend them strongly but not above anything that the other writers have put on their lists.

1. Jeniferever – Choose a Bright Morning
Jeniferever are a post-rock band from Sweden, and Choose a Bright Morning is their debut album. This is by far and away one of the most intelligent, sensitive, musically complex and self-assured albums I have ever heard, and if this was the only album to have actually been released in 2006 I would be a happy man. Every track is magical and the songs will stay with you for a long, long time.

2. Decapitated – Organic Hallucinosis
Hands down my favourite and most highly recommended metal album of 2006. Decapitated are in a league of their own and this is a monumental leap forward from 2004's The Negation. New vocalist Covan fits remarkably well into the band and his anxious vocal delivery adds a much-needed sense of urgency to the furiously technical compositions. I worry that Decapitated are a little misunderstood and underappreciated in the metal world; in my mind Organic Hallucinosis has cemented their rightful claim to legendary status. This album is a shining beacon of hope amidst the gloom of mediocrity that threatens to envelop and extinguish the good taste of metal fans everywhere.

3. Yyrkoon – Unhealthy Opera
With this follow up to 2004's Occult Medicine, Yyrkoon look unlikely to ever disappoint. No-nonsense, hard-hitting death metal with an emphasis on grooves that bring a smile to the face. The world is a better place for Yyrkoon.

4. Disillusion – Gloria
This simply oozes class and sophistication. On top of that it is incredibly self-assured for an album that takes a stylistic departure from its predecessor when arguably one wasn't necessary. This won't be to everyone's taste, but if you like your choruses sumptuous and memorable then Gloria was made especially for you.

5. Negura Bunget – Om
Om inhabits its own little world, and I was more than happy to dwell in that world soaking up its rich ambient soundscapes. Very pleasant indeed.

6. Dragonforce – Inhuman Rampage
Okay, these guys get boring really fast and their live show is as boring as…well, just really boring. But they sure as hell know how to make a happy, catchy, adrenaline-fuelled eight-minute long pop song. This is included in my list because it is a guilty pleasure. I am not interested in how fast or technical the band can play, what impresses me the most is how their songs are constructed. I won't go into detail here but any composers out there may know what I'm getting at. Oh, and the production value is superb, ideally married to the style of music.

Zack

1. Insomnium – Above the Weeping World
If it weren't for this band, I would have stopped listening to melodic metal ages ago. If you need rejuvenation, do yourself a favor and pick this up.

2. Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
Another great release from this group proving that good bands can come from somewhere outside of Europe.

3. Saturnus – Veronika Decides To Die
It's too bad these guys had to be in the same year as Insomnium and Agalloch, because this is top notch stuff. Essential for all doom fans.

4. Amorphis – Eclipse
It's fortunate that Amorphis is back, because it was only a year ago that most of us thought we had lost one of the best. Tommi brings such a powerful voice to the table. This is still getting a couple of spins and it's been out for half a year.

5. Into Eternity – The Scattering of Ashes
Into Eternity have shown that they can withstand line-up changes, because this is their best yet, even amidst all of the turmoil. I haven't loved falsettos this much for ages.

6. Summoning – Oath Bound
This features some of the best individual songs of the year, and is possibly one of my favorites from this band.

7. Scar Symmety – Pitch Black Progress
One of the few very heavy releases on my list, but it certainly deserves it. Perfect combination between screaming and singing.

8. The Ocean – Aeolian
I was introduced to The Ocean with this CD, and I'm incredibly fortunate for that.

9. Blind Guardian – A Twist In the Myth
Another consistent release from Blind Guardian, and it still makes the top ten.

10. Iconofear – The Unbreathing
I haven't been this impressed with an unsigned band in ages. One of the freshest sounds I've heard in years.

Not bad. Not bad at all! Im glad to see Enslaved back again in the lists.
Two things though, no Slayer - Christ Illusion and Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side? Those were the top albums of '06!

Edit: Oh sorry, Amon Amarth wás mentioned :D

I saw something that was excluded :(

Deicide - The Stench Of Redemption, IMO they are the band that has improved the most between releases, Santola and Owen give an amazing new feel to Deicide!

Good point, BloodSword - Devin released three albums this year: The New Black, Synchestra, and Hummer (though I won't argue that should be on the lists). I wish Mercenary had some more love too.

No particular order

enslaved - Ruun
Deicide - Stench of Redemption
Strapping Young Lad - The New Black
Negura Bunget - OM
Summoning - Oath Bound
Vader - Impressions in Blood
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Zyklon - Disintegrate
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Wolves in The Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars.

mine is:

Unexpect - in a flesh aquarium
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Amon Amarth - With odens on our side
Dismember - the god that never was
Isis - in the absence of truth
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Zyklon - Desintegrate
Vader - Impressions in blood
Asunder - works will come undone
Birdflesh - Mongo musicale

honorable mentions to: Spawn of Possession, Frightmare, Gotherfall, Ghoul and many more you all know. I have few more albums to listen to, I might edit this.

*EDIT Arsis and Nefastus Dies are out and Zyklon and Dismember are in!

1. Eyes of Fire - Prisons
2. Textures - Drawing Circles
3. Dismember - The God That Never Was
4. Slayer - Christ Illusion
5. Callisto - Noir
6. Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses
7. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
8. Isis - In the Absense of Truth
9. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
10. Enslaved - Ruun

for me it's-

1.Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
2.Deicide - The Stench Of Redemption
3.Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage
4.Kalmah - The Black Waltz
5.Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth
6.Firewind - Allegiance
7.Dream Evil - United
8.Cradle Of Filth - Thornography
9.Into Eternity - The Scattering Of The Ashes
10.Cannibal Corpse - Kill

1. Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
2. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
3. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
4. Galar - Skogskvad
5. Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells
6. Darkthrone - The Cult is Alive
7. Dissection - Reinkaos
8. Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
9. Keep of Kalessin - Armada
10. Amorphis - Eclipse

Actually I would like to include the new Monsorrow and Finntroll albums here but since they are yet to be released I can't. Those are the albums that I've truly enjoyed and listened to the most during 2006. They have already secured their spot in the top 10 list of 2007 though.

Only based on what I actively and attentively listened to; Negura Bunget-"OM", Drudkh-"Blood in our Wells.", Agalloch-"Ashes against the Grain.", Enslaved-"Runn." Devin Townsend Band-"Synchestra", Summoning-"Oath Bound." Tenhi-"Maaaet.", Solitude Aeturnus-"Alone."

Really, I heard nothing of note in 2006. Maybe 2007 will hold some surprises!

I think it's very hard to make a top 10 this year, so my top 5 or so changes a bit concerning the mood I'm in ...

1) Outworld - Outworld
2) Benedictum - Uncreation
3) Soulscape - Crimson Skies
4) 7th Wonder - Waiting in the winds
5) Beyond Twilight - For the Love ...
6) Wolf - The Black Flame
7) JOP - Maniacal Renderings
8) Meyvn - Splintered Skies
9) Krux - II
10) Beautiful Sin - The Unexpected

honorable mentions; Zero Hour, Wolverine, Vicious Rumors, Anthem, Celtic Frost, Slayer, Jorn, Sphere of Souls, Winters Bane, Dezperadoz, Tomorrow's Eve, Leatherwolf...All GREAT CD's !!!

Worst album:
Voivod - Katorz

Best DVD's
Iced Earth & Kamelot

Best gig:
Wolf at Keep it True
and a very honorable mention for the 5 Benedictum gigs in 2006 !!

Wormphlegm - Tomb of the Ancient King
Dolorian - Voidwards
Madder Mortem - Desiderata
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Novembre - Materia
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Nightbringer/Serpentinam - split 10"
Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust
Nortt - Ligfærd

Also...

Boris - PINK