STARCASTLE re-issues

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
For the old farts... from www.melodicrock.com :

These are available now from www.rockcandyrecords.com for a discounted price of £10.99 for the next two weeks.

Starcastle 'S/T CANDY089 - Certainly one of the greatest characteristics of the 1970s was the diversity of musical talent on offer. From proto metal through to punk rock all bases were covered, not least of all the establishment of progressive rock. From the giants of the genre such as Yes, ELP and Genesis through to a multitude of lesser known acts, progressive rock became, against all odds, a standard bearer of quality and class.
Starcastle were a fitting addition to the progressive rock ranks. Based in Champaign, Illinois and formed from a couple of local acts, sporting improbable names such as Sea Daddy, St. James and Mad John Fever, the band overcame their geographical isolation by playing anywhere and everywhere, and attracting not only a fevered following but also the attention of label leviathans Epic Records.
Fronted by former REO Speedwagon vocalist Terry Lutrell, the band crafted a spectacular debut album, pushing at the boundaries of progressive rock. Think Kansas, Styx, Yes and Gentle Giant for a close approximation of their complex yet easily accessible and melodic sound.
No wonder that Boston apparently threatened to kick them off a tour for upstaging them. Originally issued in 1976, the album boasts complex musicianship applied to evocative and melodic songs, all wrapped up in one of the most beautiful and imaginative album sleeves of the era.
24-bit remastering from original source tapes, 4,000 word essay about the making of the album, interview with the band and photos spread out over a 16 page full colour booklet.
Track Listing: 1. Lady Of The Lake 2. Elliptical Seasons 3. Forces 4. Stargate 5. Sunfield 6. To The Fire Wind 7. Nova.

starcastle.jpg

Starcastle 'Fountains Of Light' CANDY090 - During the mid 1970s the popularity of progressive rock was at an all time high with acts such as Yes, Jethro Tull and, especially, ELP enjoying huge album sales and playing to sold out crowds the world over. Of course, shadowing these giants of prog were a number of young upstarts keen to make a challenge for gold and glory, not least of these were American mid-west contenders Starcastle.
The band's carefully executed debut album attracted a number of converts, selling something in the region of a quarter of a million copies, resulting in Epic records taking a keener interest. In an effort to up the ante, so to speak, the band was sent into the studio (Morin Heights, Quebec) to record their next album with flamboyant and creative British producer Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, Journey, Foreigner).
'Fountains Of Light' is arguably Starcastle's finest moment. Baker's production is meticulous yet forceful, allowing the band to stretch out and take on the competition without sacrificing integrity or a natural melodic song writing ability. Packed out with hooks to die for and submerged in complex yet accessible arrangements, the album oozes charm and class. Housed in one of the most impressively designed album sleeves of the seventies 'Fountains Of Light' still presses all the right buttons.
24-bit remastering from original source tapes, 4,000 word essay about the making of the album, new interview with band and additional photos spread out over a 16 page full colour booklet.
Track Listing: 1. Fountains 2. Dawning Of The Day 3. Silver Winds 4. True To The Light 5. Portraits 6. Diamond Song (Deep Is The Light).

cover_325919912006.jpg

i have the Renaissance Records versions, but i will be replacing with these since Rock Candy is best label out there right now, *ahem* besides my own! hahaha. they have already reissued Citadel in case you missed that last year (as you have that album pictured). :)

One of my all time favorite bands from that era, yeah i am old also. I still have them on vinyl. Oliver Wakeman(Rick Wakeman's son) plays keyboards for them when they tour

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbZ0m73B3E&feature=related[/ame]

RC puts out nice releases but I had to chase them for a refund when they didn't send the CDs I ordered. They also refused to respond to repeated queries. So, yeah not impressed. Best to use emusic (no essay etc), Amazon or wait for the vendor's area at PP.

i have the Renaissance Records versions, but i will be replacing with these since Rock Candy is best label out there right now, *ahem* besides my own! hahaha. they have already reissued Citadel in case you missed that last year (as you have that album pictured). :)

This band was the direct reason for me writing my song STARCASTLE on Overlorde's RETURN OF THE SNOW GIANT CD...

In fact I started to make a concept album similar to 2112, but only the main song ever saw the light of day...

PROPS!

This was one of my favorite video game consoles, as well.

You know - the ones that ate quarters...

RC puts out nice releases but I had to chase them for a refund when they didn't send the CDs I ordered. They also refused to respond to repeated queries. So, yeah not impressed. Best to use emusic (no essay etc), Amazon or wait for the vendor's area at PP.

www.nehrecords.com

he carries all the new stuff at reasonable import pricing of usually $15.99 a disc.

So, they are still active now? I like what I heard since I'm a YES fan and bought the remaster of STARCASTLE's self-titled album today.

Not sure what their status is. I know they released an album of new songs a few years back and played at RoSFest. According to their web site, they have a CD of unreleased material from the 80s that they are putting out sometime this year.

Got the two remasters this weekend and man do they sound different from the original, which is a good thing. There is a band today that has that STARCASTLE/YES sound and you might want to check them out they are called MAGIC PIE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKH0Z8ovFsg&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtWnDnlaaI0&feature=related[/ame]

Magic Pie:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuZzZ_MogBk&feature=related[/ame]