Start mixing for others

MrTheDownie

New Metal Member
Dec 25, 2011
Hi,

I didn't really know where to post this but here goes.

So I've been lurking this forum for quite some time and I've been reading a lot, I even bought the systematic mixing guide.

I feel like my mixes are starting to get pretty good, not amazing but good.
I've mainly mixed my own stuff and tracks that people here has made but I want to take the next step and start mixing some real bands.

I need some advice on how to get in contact with bands, how did you start mixing for other people? How did you get in contact with them?

Thanks

Go to shows and talk to bands, and do mixing and engineering for free. You should be able to engineer as well, even if it is on a drum machine and pod with autotuned vox. Also, see if you can intern somewhere for just a bit. There is way more to this business than being able to mix. Way, way more. Your personal skills are at least as important as your mixing skills. My observation is that these are the 4 most vital elements to mixing successfully:

1. Who you know (connections)
2. Who you are (you must be positive, fun, and energetic)
3. Your problem-solving abilities
4. Your mixing abilities

#4 probably will not come into play if you do not succeed at 1-3.

In fact, I speak from experience. I am decent at 1 and 2, but suck at 3 (perfectionist), and good at 4. But I never made it as a career because of 3. If it was 1, 2, and 4 only, I would be mixing professionally.

I play in a local band myself so I know a lot of other bands, the problem is that I haven't got a studio, just some basic stuff.

I have recorded my own band a few times but at 3 different locations since I haven't got my own studio.

But I will try to look for some local bands that's starting out and take it from there.
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

To start off I mixed a band that were getting bigger in the local scene who got me on to help with their EP initially and I ended up taking over for the whole thing (ended up getting about 20 new enquiries off the back of one record; of those about three or four came through); but once you establish yourself as putting out one or two good productions and attending gigs + networking then you'll pick up a few bands based on the quality of your product (if you took your time and made it good; if you can get a band that is lenient with deadlines to start out then great because it'll allow you to expand your abilities without falling into rehearsed patterns to get stuff out faster - it happens) and how enthusiastic you are about what they are doing (this really helps IMHO - a lot of engineers get jaded real fast and just slip into a pattern of apathy - its ridiculously hard not to because the work is taxing but try not to be that guy).

See if you can network yourself in with someone who rents out their studios to external engineers as well - this helped me a lot because it adds an air of legitimacy more than recording in someones living room with your profire and drum mic kit - although I find the time/budget situations with these arrangements to be fairly fatiguing for the most part. But yeah, nothing impresses a band more or makes them feel like they've spent their money well than a big fuck off mixing desk - because bands don't know that you'll be dragging this shit home to mix on your beat up m50's later anyway.

Öwen;10481598 said:
But yeah, nothing impresses a band more or makes them feel like they've spent their money well than a big fuck off mixing desk - because bands don't know that you'll be dragging this shit home to mix on your beat up m50's later anyway.

Haha this is so true, speaking from experience here hehe.

Great advice, its really fun to hear how people started out, thanks!