Start of a new song

I'm listening on computer speakers at work, but anyways: The chunky rhythm guitars sound a tad buried. The snare could use some more high end to it. Also, I hear no cymbal action at all. Musically it's very cool, though.

Whatever you're monitoring on must have a shitload of hi's, and cut mids because I can barely make out any cymbals? Also, the guitars have a problem with the mids and bass and they need a lot more definition. The drums are a little too dry for my tastes as well. The kick could stick out a little more and the snare a little less. The playing seems like it could be a lot tighter too.

The hi-end is your biggest problem though.

Whatever you're monitoring on must have a shitload of hi's, and cut mids because I can barely make out any cymbals? Also, the guitars have a problem with the mids and bass and they need a lot more definition. The drums are a little too dry for my tastes as well. The kick could stick out a little more and the snare a little less. The playing seems like it could be a lot tighter too.

The hi-end is your biggest problem though.

The playings spot on, thanks. Every note played is where its supposed to be. If youre talking about the octaves in the second drumbeat section, then yes, they're different to the octaves that are playing on the right, that was intentional. I don't use monitors for mixing, i use mdr 7506 headphones which are known to have a shit load of highs, so i always compensate for that, quite annoying really. Buried cymbals? there are no cymbals :lol: One thing i do agree on is the Kick/snare, oh and the Highs. I really need a decent pair of monitors.... Insult my playing again and i'll have to kill you :heh:

I'm listening on computer speakers at work, but anyways: The chunky rhythm guitars sound a tad buried. The snare could use some more high end to it. Also, I hear no cymbal action at all. Musically it's very cool, though.

Yeah, was trying to balance the lead with the rhythm, guess it didnt work out to well. I agree on the snare being dull, will sort that out. This is just a basic take with no technical work, no cymbals e.t.c Just wanted some general ideas before i pursue it further. Cheers. :headbang:

Well, if that's how you intended the playing then that's cool. Sounds off to me though, a little of timing and volume issue. And I'm not insulting you, just telling you what I heard and DOING YOU a favor of helping you make a better mix.

If there are not supposed cymbals, then you have a pretty bad bleeding issue that needs to be taken care of.

All I changed was a very minor boost of ~10k or so.

Listen.

YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery.

You should hear it in your left headphone pretty well. :)

Yeah, i hear that. Anyways, isnt it good to have the room in a drum sound, even without cymbals? And i know the term bleed isnt what you hear in the overheads btw.

With regards to the playing, do you mean the octaves? Because to me, the rhythm sounds dead on.

Btw, theres a slight room reverb on the snare. Thats probably what youre hearing, i took a look in nuendo, forgot it was even there.

Sure, I love room mics. Would hate to record drums without a few. I was just saying that there are cymbals in there and if you didn't want them, you should for sure take them out.

The chunking guitar right in the beginning that continues for most of the song...it sounds off a very little bit volume wise. Could have been from palm mutes ect... Try compressing it a little more. The timing dosen't sound dead on to me but it is very close. Either way it's not bad, some people didn't even comment about it so you know it's not the biggest issue. I'm not saying your playing sucks I am just being as helpful as I can. Like I said I think the hi end is the biggest issue.

As mentioned, bring the chunky/muted guitars up a bit (tad burried) and maybe some more brightness to the snare with some extra verb on it perhaps? Apart from that it sounds solid enough.:kickass:

Hey Familia,
You still using the same Recto/Monkey settings? One thing I've found through experimenting is instead of sucking all the bass out with the Monkey (which sucks out a lot of tone coming from the guitar/pickups) and cranking the bass on the Recto, is try setting your bass on the recto at around noon and rolling off the bass on the Monkey until the looseness/woofiness goes away. I do this while chugging on the top two strings. I find that the bass gets tight around 10:00 on the monkey and much more of the guitar tone is left intact. Not to say your guitars sound bad on this...they sound really good. Just thought I'd through some suggestions for you to try since you've been so helpful with me finding my tone.

Cheers,

Brett

Hey Familia,
You still using the same Recto/Monkey settings? One thing I've found through experimenting is instead of sucking all the bass out with the Monkey (which sucks out a lot of tone coming from the guitar/pickups) and cranking the bass on the Recto, is try setting your bass on the recto at around noon and rolling off the bass on the Monkey until the looseness/woofiness goes away. I do this while chugging on the top two strings. I find that the bass gets tight around 10:00 on the monkey and much more of the guitar tone is left intact. Not to say your guitars sound bad on this...they sound really good. Just thought I'd through some suggestions for you to try since you've been so helpful with me finding my tone.

Cheers,

Brett

Hey Brett, thanks for the suggestions, i'll give them a try. Like i said before though, the bass on the BM is really not to my taste at all, thats why i've never used it and instead use all the bass on the Dual Rec. I'll give it another go, later on.