Starting a Metal Band – Question

BrotherV56

New Metal Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hey there. I'm 14, a drummer, and decided with some friends to start up a metal band, but I just have a couple questions about the process. I know I'm only 14 so it may seem totally unrealistic but one of my goals is to get signed, even though people are constantly telling me I never will. So some questions I have are, is it better to be more complex or simple when it comes to the music itself? I wrote lyrics to the couple songs we have been experimenting with and I'm not sure how complex the music needs to be to fit with the vocals well. Also, so far I'm the only one who's actually worked on it. I write the songs and create the bones of the music, so how do I get the other people in the band to actually work? I feel like I want it more than they all do combined, and suggestions? And I know this is sorta long so if you make it this far I would really appreciate some help/answers. Keep on head-banging!

Hey Man! awesome that you want to start a band! It doesn't matter how old you are as long as you put in the work!

1. There is no hard fast rules to how complex the music should be to fit around the vocals. The main thing you guys should worry about is how you WANT to sound. Do you want to be the next Acacia Strain writing downtempo, heavy, slamming songs that are very simple to play? Or do you want to be the next Periphery and have a complex blend of clean vocals, screams, and multiple tempo and time signature changes throughout the song? Or even the next Cannibal Corpse or Slayer, where the hardest part about your songs is the insanely fast tempo you play at? Its all about your vision as an artist and what you want to sound like!

2. If the rest of the band isn't putting in the work that you are, explain to them that they need to get it together! If they don't, fire them and find other members who will! The only thing musicians that don't put in the work will do is be the same musicians they already are. They won't ever grow into something better.

3. Don't give up on your goals! it won't happen overnight, but if you put in the work, get some well written, decently produced music out to your fans, then you will gain more fans, and potentially even get signed! But again. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT. Its gonna take a lot of hard work, as well as finding band members that you gel with!

Keep kicking ass man!

Wow Dalton thanks man! This really helps actually, I'm thinking of a clean vocal and scream mix with not too simple of music. I think our songs our definitely gonna be more lyric based. Thanks again!