Starting to build guitars

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
A friend of mine (my guitarist) and I are going to start building guitars. He has access to tons of wood (literally) and has already built a couple of his own. He's making me a custom Les Paul right now, Alice in Chains edition. It's gonna be alpine white with a white neck like Loomis' guitar, with black AIC suns for the fret inlays and black machine heads, pots, switch, and bridge. I'll post pics when it's done.

After that he's making me an explorer in the colors of LSU, purple and gold. These are, of course, not for sale due to copyright reasons, but I've been designing my own guitars and going to copyright the designs as soon as they're finished.

He will be handling the construction and assembly since he's very knowledgeable in that part and will be tutoring me on how to do it as well, while I'll be mainly designing new guitars and handling the paint.

My question is, does anyone have any references for studying painting, decals, custom paint jobs, etc.? There are tons all over the internet but if any of you have ever painted your own guitars through some sort of manual or you know how to just through experience, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks guys.

It's not very hard when you have the templates, wood, and such, which we have in spades. I honestly think the painting is going to be more difficult. He made a Jerry Cantrell G&L Rampage signature copy and it's fantastic. His father owns a wood business which deals in designs, cutting, shaping, etc., so we've already got the machinery. It's just all there for the taking.

I've used car lacquer to paint my guitar white. Looks like a professional paint job and is easy as hell. But no clue about anything more artistic...

dude, sign up to the sevenstring.org forum. There's tons of people there who are into guitar building and they have a special section of the forum for luthiery. Some really talented and knowledgeable people there.