stereo bus compression tricks?

moose209

Bottom chugger
Dec 6, 2005
london
www.myspace.com
I was watching one of the masters do his mixing thing when sitting in on a mtes session in london - and the first thing he did was put a stereo compressor on the main output bus - which is all cool i am happy with that - but he had it keyed from a high pass filter so the bottom end didn't kick the compressor in too strong - now what are the best ways to do this using a daw as it's alot easier to set up with a big fat ssl in front of you but I just cannot achieve the same results in LE.

Also any other tips for compressing the stereo out? :headbang:

el moosiah <209>

moose209 said:
I was watching one of the masters do his mixing thing when sitting in on a mtes session in london - and the first thing he did was put a stereo compressor on the main output bus - which is all cool i am happy with that - but he had it keyed from a high pass filter so the bottom end didn't kick the compressor in too strong - now what are the best ways to do this using a daw as it's alot easier to set up with a big fat ssl in front of you but I just cannot achieve the same results in LE.

Also any other tips for compressing the stereo out? :headbang:

el moosiah <209>

Interesting. I normally wait until the mix is nearly there to stick a compressor in the 2 buss. The SSL compressor is brilliant.

I like the waves C4 on the stereo bus sometimes... but only a little bit of it.
Hardware wise, Alan smart C2 (SSL like), Manley vari mu (very nice, but pretty coloured), Cranesong STC8 (very nice and transparent). there's a bounch of stuff out there...

But, if you haven't got a nice compressor, don't compress your mix as the mastering engineer may have a much better one.

as for tricks, there are few plugs out there which can be key'd.

Use analog outputs and use outboard gear that features this option...

I almost always start my mixes by putting a comp on the 2-bus. My faves are the old SSl G384, the SSL comp actually inside the console(if I'm working on an SSL), Smart C1 or C2, Drawmer 1969, or Focusrite Red or Blue. I tried the STC-8 one time and loved it, but it's a little clean for most stuff I do these days. As far as the use of highpass filters on the sidechain to prevent the low end from messing with the comp, I only do it on dance type stuff due to the consistent kick and bass pulse in it. Don't want much pumping or breathing going on because of that.

Ive done this a couple times. Have an STC 8 as well. But I make my mixes without this stuff on there to make sure I can do it better in mastering. Cant really hear the compression good enough at a tracking studio. Genelec 1031's and a sub are no way to judge if you are applying a lot of compression. I guess that you can get away with a db or two there and then have the mastering guy do the rest. But that seems risky to me. I know mix guys have been doing this for years though. So I guess its what youre used to.

I really wanrt to try a C2 soon. Ive been mixing in the box lately and I have been waiting untill I get the mix about 80 percent there and then I put an L2 on the mix bus. I finish the mix like this and then make a mix down with out the L2 and then master.

I have found that if I put the limiter on the mix too early, it fools me into thinking I have enough guitars when I dont. Or vox or whatever. Best to wait till I have the mix fundmantals in place and then put it on.

I wonder what Andy does.

Colin

IIRC he has said in the past that he mixes with a limiter on the master bus (Finalizer maybe?).

I mix very similar to the way you do, adding an L2 after getting the fundamentals sorted.

He starts with putting an SSL comp on the bus. He told it on his q&a thread.

for the sidechain where do you guys like to filter on rock/hard rock mixes and metal mixes as well.

lets say for the ssl

If I were to use a sidechain, I'd LISTEN and set it so it so the kick no longer pumps the compressor.
I think 94Hz worked on the last thing I mixed through Stillwell The Rocket.

Lasse, you can have Father Jack back when I'm done with him. You know I'll take good care of him. :)

been using the uad 4k bus recently.
REALLY nice. Doesnt ruin the stereo image like the waves one.
Had it set pretty standard i think. 2 or 4 to 1 depending on the music, medium attack or was it fast.... auto release

I've been using a CLabs 7720 with hpf on the sidechain at 130hz. I throw it on pretty much right away and mix into it. I usually end up with 4 to 6 db of gain reduction. Attack usually at 30 and release at .1 or auto. :)

Best to wait till I have the mix fundmantals in place and then put it on.

I wonder what Andy does.

I remember reading that he does just that- gets the mix "up and running", then puts the Finalizer on and mixes with that. Every time I've mixed with the Finalizer on, if I later bypass the Finalizer, the mix sounds much better than it did before I had mixed through it.

Pretty much same process here.

I'll get the mix fundamentals down then I'll slap the GSSL and Sonnox Limiter on. I tend to mix with too much transient pop so the limiter tames that and sort of approximates how much the transients may get destroyed in mastering.

My big thing lately has been not slamming the mixes on the master bus as I mix. I like to do that because it gives me a better picture of how it will sound when 'finished', but I noticed that it impacts on the balance of my mixes greatly.

ermz I know exactly what you mean!!!!
Sometimes when I push a stereo-bounced mix in the premastering the balance get lost. Like vocals become too present or get buried.Same for kick drums and snare.
The limiter can destroy your nice snare sound!!!!

Thats why I test my mixes with the waves api2500/ssl and the L3-LL and check if this is happening...

But I mix more then 50% without any mastering plugins, just to avoid driving my mix to hot so it´s to near to 0dBfs...
I always try to let the mastering a headroom between 5-15dBfs...