Mixing with Stereo Bus Compression : Making Better Mixes

^ i used to have issues like that too about stereo buss compression and i've come to the conclusion:

If it sounds good , keep it ! ( if i aint' broke dont' fix it )

If we're to be worried about mixes falling apart taking out the compression then shouldn't we be worried when we take the EQ out and it sounds different ? or reverb or whatever for that matter

we dont' because we plan to keep the eq on when we mixdown, same like i plan to keep the compressor on while i mixdown :)

Metalkingdom : i don't see how relying on compression for ur mix is frowned in the professional world when the biggest mixers such as andy wallace derived their sound from the SSL quad compressors

So many big mixers have stated on their interviews that the 1st thing they do is setup the quad compressor on the SSL.

the only thing to keep in mind is not to overabuse compression and don't compress too much and most of the people above who have posted their experiences have advised wisely

My biggest issue with mixing with a stereo bus comp on from scratch would be that I'd have to keep checking compression levels on it as the mix went along. Sounds like a bit of a hassle as you have to mix with respect to it in mind.

Although it does sound like a plan. It may be the final element needed to get my mixes sounding as good as I want them to. Suppose I never gave compression the attention it deserved.

If it sounds good , keep it !

Well...Do you think you know what "sounds good"? I don't mean what sounds good to you, I mean what sounds good to a lot of people...

If we're to be worried about mixes falling apart taking out the compression then shouldn't we be worried when we take the EQ out and it sounds different ?

If you're speaking of L/R eq, yes. If your mix is actually "good", you won't need eq on the end. You should always keep in mind that any piece of gear that you stick in your chain will degrade the signal.

i don't see how relying on compression for ur mix is frowned in the professional world when the biggest mixers such as andy wallace derived their sound from the SSL quad compressors

So many big mixers have stated on their interviews that the 1st thing they do is setup the quad compressor on the SSL.

First of all, nearly everyone who uses a SSL will use the compressor. Some people mix with it on, some don't. I worked with a couple of guys from the Ministry and NIN camps that don't use any compression at all on their mixes. You'd never guess that to be the case upon hearing. Saying that Andy Wallace derives his sound from the buss comp is a seriously misguided statement though. If that were the case, he could just mix anywhere as long as there's an outboard SSL comp available. He doesn't do that. Pulling -4db isn't very much at all. Most pros agree that relying on the compressor is a cop out as far as mixing goes. I mean, it does kill the shit outta your dynamics, and any other depth or dimension that should be there otherwise if you had a good mix. That's why TLA calls it the "automix". If you wanna disagree with him and Bob Rock (not to mention me and countless others), then go for it.

I personally mix with the SSL buss comp, and anything else on the L/R, OFF. Then the struggle becomes "how not to trash this mix I spent 12 hours on with this gd compressor". But you work it out. And it ain't with no huge gain reduction - or else your time and $ spent mixing was a huge waste.

the only thing to keep in mind is not to overabuse compression and don't compress too much and most of the people above who have posted their experiences have advised wisely

Saying things like "the only thing to keep in mind" must mean that you know a whole helluva lot about making records. ???

I've not been in the business for very long , but i'd like to think that me knowing what sounds good to a lot of people is what keeps me getting employed.

I still don't understand how reliance on compression is frowned upon by professionals ? compression is a very important part of a lot of recordings and andy has said that he uses Metric halo strips on every drum channel??

also , i've tried this mixing with compressor buss ages ago and i didn't even like it and i found it a joke , but it's only now that i've gotten the rest of my chops ( eqing/ reverb / balance blah blah )up to a professional level that i finally notice and understand why a lot of mixers use it so i don't see how it could be called " automix "

It's funny how TLA says about automix when his mentor and bro CLA talks extensively in his interviews how he relies on his settings and compression gear and never changes them when mixing a song ( also check out the thread about mixing with templates or something below )

Saying " the only thing to keep in mind " is merely stating a rule of thumb i follow as an approach to record making. It's my view/opinion and i think it's a good general rule to follow to not abuse and overcook compressors. like all things in life there are exceptions to the rule and if so go for it.

Yeah, I still agree with metalkingdom. I'll spend the time on my mixes and get them right without compression on the stereo buss...then if need be I'll slide the 2-buss comp in there.

IF it needs it, I emphasize that. I truly believe that less is better.

EDIT: I'll give up a little bit of punch and "glue" for more dynamics and depth anyday...but that's just my tastes. A metal band is supposed to sound deep and huge, not all squashed together. Dynamics are #1 for me. Everybody is different though, so I don't think there is any right or wrong way to do it.

Though consequently, because of my mixing style, I can't push my mixes very loud with out clipping them hard. My final mixes are a lot quieter than what's normal these days. Oh well, that's what the volume knob on stereos is for.

"Automix" hmm sounds cool. I wish the SSL comps I've used did that. I could be making a lot more money a lot quicker. :heh:

I've not been in the business for very long , but i'd like to think that me knowing what sounds good to a lot of people is what keeps me getting employed.

Ummm.... Aren't you in the military?

I still don't understand how reliance on compression is frowned upon by professionals ? compression is a very important part of a lot of recordings and andy has said that he uses Metric halo strips on every drum channel??

Nobody said anything about individual track compression. We're talking strictly about L/R compression.

but it's only now that i've gotten the rest of my chops ( eqing/ reverb / balance blah blah )up to a professional level that i finally notice and understand why a lot of mixers use it so i don't see how it could be called " automix "

What makes you think that your work is up to a "professional level"? I'm not saying it's not, because I've never heard your stuff. But you gotta have some credentials to say that and be taken seriously.

It's funny how TLA says about automix when his mentor and bro CLA talks extensively in his interviews how he relies on his settings and compression gear and never changes them when mixing a song

Once again, we're talking about L/R compression only!!!

At 23, you're not gonna have all the answers.

I test all my mixes with and without master buss compression. It's pointless to mix something without at least testing some basic "mastering" settings. I leave it on probably 80% of the time. It's not "automixing" and I think Bob Rock has lost all credibility thanks to St. Anger.

Ummm.... Aren't you in the military?

What makes you think that your work is up to a "professional level"? I'm not saying it's not, because I've never heard your stuff. But you gotta have some credentials to say that and be taken seriously.

At 23, you're not gonna have all the answers.

Not yet , u didn't read my post clearly in the a/e section . I'm leaving my studio job and entering on the 8th dec :cry:

Being a professional by definition means u're doing it as a living/business . I've been doing it as my day job since the start of the year nailing the main engineer position at the small local studio.

CV can be found here : www.myspace.com/rolandlim

With most lines of work there are good and bad professionals.

with the compression thing , andy does use alan smart compressor on the final bus and many engineers i've spoken to rely on their trusty SSLs to pull their mixes from.

I'm 21 BTW, obviously i don't have all the answers but this mixing buss thing has been the most important breakthrough i've figured for myself this year which is why i posted and shared my experiences with it .

with delicate stuff i don't use this mixing buss stuff , only for the harder rock /metal stuff .

I test all my mixes with and without master buss compression. It's pointless to mix something without at least testing some basic "mastering" settings. I leave it on probably 80% of the time. It's not "automixing" and I think Bob Rock has lost all credibility thanks to St. Anger.

Hey kazrog, a lot of people would call mixing with a bus compression as " mastering" settings but i wouldn't call it that as i actually mix from the start with a compressor on the bus instead of putting it on the end. There's a difference because my mix would fall apart/ sound very different if i took out the compression ( not that i mind because i want that sound anyway ) and wouldn't be able to use

to quote Charles Dye ( where i read about this technique from a fellow engineer showed in on an old digidesign mag + on gearslutz ) :

With most of the music I've been mixing lately (rock or other aggressive styles) 4 dB of compression has been sounding really good. It may sound like a lot, previously when placing the compressor over buss towards the end I would hit it only 2 to 2.5 dB, but I also had more compression on the individual tracks. Since I now use less individual compression, it probably works out to about the same amount of overall, just a different way to apply it.

Mixing this way gives me a sound that's very different than the more controlled sound of individual compression, a lot of automation, and light compression on the bus. It really sounds much more exciting. Explosive. As if things are at the brink of popping through the speakers. I love it.

I should also say that this is in no way considered mastering compression. Compression across the stereo bus while mixing is done all the time on most of the records you own. Whether inserted at the beginning or towards the end it's been a pretty standard technique for decades done by engineers all over the globe. If you need anymore proof, I have three letters: S - S - L.

questions about Stereo buss processing that he has answered :

Quote:
Originally posted by not_so_new
This is nothing new but I will put a comp on the mix bus (errr... or buss) but I don't print it to tape. The old saying "don't fix it in the mix" is the same to me as "don't master when mixing." Maybe I am just too old school but I want to get the vibe of my mixes from the gel of the tracks and punch it up later. Maybe I don't trust my room or monitors or ears enough but I don't want to paint myself into a corner.
NSN,

I wasn't clear in my original post (I've made a change so it would be), but I don't consider this mastering in any way. Compression on the stereo bus of a mix is a pretty everyday technique (the SSL compressor). When I take my mixes to mastering the ME still adds more of his/her type of compression + limiting. I definitely support the idea of leaving mastering for the ME. I don't do limiting of any kind to my buss.

I understand your point though, I just suggest when you mix through a compressor, every decision you make will be based on that exact compressor's personality. I think you don't have any choice, but to print it. If you aren't sure also print one without + pick the best one @ mastering.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Those plugins just make it much easier to mix 'cause all instruments start sounding much better right way.
That's exactly what I'm talking about with mixing through a compressor as well. The mix just jumps together. It's pretty cool.
Quote:
But I do play very light with it 'cause I don't' want it to compress too much so, like you said, it doesn't push "backwards against your changes".
I don't worry about that anymore though. I only care what the mix sounds like after the compressor.

And it's pretty easy to tell when your pushing the compressor too much. When that happens the mix starts caving in, it begins to take on a very hard sound, almost hammer to anvil like + it seems like you have to turn things up way too much to be heard. So, just back off the threshold + let the mix breath a little bit more.

Hope this helps.

could you go into more detail on what you mean by "automix" or maybe find the interview you were talking about?

It's not from an interview... Once upon a blue moon, back in the days of 2", I was a 2nd engineer at a *super bigtime* MIX studio in L.A./Hollywood. There was an 80 channel SSL G+ with Ultimation in the front room with a 16 channel Neve sidecar loaded with 1073's and 1084's - along with every piece of outboard gear that you can imagine - and then some. In the back room, there was the Bob Rock special 6000 E/G with the three stereo busses (A,B,C) that were noisy as hell, but still bangin'. We did tracking at this studio as well, but other than a couple GNR records and Suicidal Tendencies, it was usually overdubs. I did many sessions with mega-stars, mega-producers, and mega-engineers...people that you read about and see on TV. If you're a really good 2nd, and keep your fucking mouth shut, some of these people will actually talk to you... That's what I did. That's what all 2nds who turn into real engineers do. I learned a lot of shit that you'll never read in any book or magazine.

Anyway, the other 2nd at this studio spent a year prior at Enterprise in Burbank as TLA's guy. That's where I first heard the term "Automix". Sometimes, usually at 5am after the clients are gone, we'd make fun of some of the not-as-awesome engineers and their mixes by popping the buss comp in and out and yelling "AUTOMIX!!!".

Look, most everyone agrees that the buss comp is awesome. -4db isn't alot of reduction, either. But, if you are relying on it for your "sound" or whatever, then you suck.

p.s. Charles Dye blows.

I pretty much just wanted to know how those not-so-good-engineers have it set so that I can just put tracks on there and have it automix them for me???

I'm a complete goon and noob, but what does "4dB of compression" mean? When I've used compressors in the past, the only time anything expressed in dB's ever comes up, it's for output gain...So, does that mean compressing to reduce gain 4db, or makeup gain 4dB or am I clueless (that's my vote).

I have no idea...someone help me out?

They are talking about 4dB gain reduction.

So, are they physically reducing the output gain fader (in the plugin), or reducing it through the compression? I'm assuming through compression, since that what we're talking about. So, in that case, is the output gain left at 0dB and the reduction all comes from the comp. settings?

I don't think I'm making any sense, my apologies.

Here's what I mean:
GCOMP-FINAL.jpg

For example, using this pic:
Are they reducing the makeup gain by 4 db, or are they leaving it at 0 and the reduction comes from their attack, release, threshold and ratio settings? I'm assuming the latter...

Yeah, the compression of the audio (set from thresh and ratio etc settings), causes a maximum 4dB drop in the level of the music in parts which exceed the threshold. Im rubbish at describing how compression works - for every dB over the threshold the music is, the level is reduced by the ratio that you set (e.g. 4:1). The ratio and threshold values would be fixed so that the compressor is reducing the audio by about 4dB in this case. This would usually then be compensated with the make-up gain which comes after the compression stage.

Sorry I suck at explaining it, I know what it is doing in my head.