Stereo Nasty 80s metal full album released

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I am truly proud of the work I did on this album.
I think we really captured a modern 80s metal vibe and sound.
Recorded, mixed, mastered by me in Trackmix Recording Studio​.
I can answer any questions about the recording process or mix.
Have a listen. Hope you enjoy it.
Available now on bandcamp, itunes, spotify.
https://stereonasty.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for the replies.
Really appreciate it.
This was my first album with the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt and I really noticed a difference in clarity and punch.
Make sure to listen on Spotify if you subscribe, Bandcamp sound pretty shit compared to spotify when set on HQ.

I'm a sucker for 80s metal, and really enjoying this. Will probably grab the album from bandcamp (edit - bought and liking it). Super work on the production. Any info on the guitars etc would be interesting.

I'm a sucker for 80s metal, and really enjoying this. Any info on the guitars etc would be interesting.

Thanks
We went for a classic 80s sound so used usa charvel so cal left and original 80s charvel 375 dlx right. Tube screamer into marshall 30th anniversary head into mesa rectifier cab miked with sm57 and m201 into api mic pres.
The so cal has a duncan jb (replaced the tonezone) and the 375 has a duncan sh11 custom custom.
Guitars are standard tuning.

We initially tried an evh 5150 which sounded great but missed the mid range presence and clarity that we got with the marshall.
The guitar player is super tight and really digs in and the marshall worked really well with his style.

The guitars are panned 9 and 3 oclock rather than fully panned and there is a tiny bit of ambience verb from val halla vintage verb. Very little eq on the guitars in the mix. We tweaked the amp and mics to get the sound at source.
Sonimus satson channel and reelbus on the guitar channels and satson bus on the bus.

Bass is usa p bass into zoom b3 sansamp sim into warwick tubepath 5 head di out into universal audio la610.

Sweet. I might try bringing my panning in a bit next time I go for this vibe and add a bit of vvv.

Still got my Charvel Model 3, which was my first good guitar - and still love it!

Very cool mix, great singer! Reminds me of early Grim Reaper. How did you do the drums?

Thanks.
First of all, tight drummer playing consistently.
Secondly, Great kit properly tuned.
Kit is a German made Sonor S Class Maple.
Brand new heads.
Tama Metalworks steel snare.
Zildjian A custom cymbals.
API and Focusrite ISA mic pres into Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt.
In the mix there is a little bit of sample support but it is mainly the mics.
There is Val Halla vintage verb large wood room for ambience on the whole kit and some snare plate on the snare and hall verb on the toms.
Kick, snare, toms busses all have limiters pulling 3-5dB.

Thanks.
First of all, tight drummer playing consistently.
Secondly, Great kit properly tuned.
Kit is a German made Sonor S Class Maple.
Brand new heads.
Tama Metalworks steel snare.
Zildjian A custom cymbals.
API and Focusrite ISA mic pres into Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt.
In the mix there is a little bit of sample support but it is mainly the mics.
There is Val Halla vintage verb large wood room for ambience on the whole kit and some snare plate on the snare and hall verb on the toms.
Kick, snare, toms busses all have limiters pulling 3-5dB.

You really nailed that 80's sound, the drums sound live and organic. Great job!

Great work, real 80s vibe, everything feels bang on the money - what mic used for the vocals? He has a great tone, did you add much compression/timbre/colour to it?

My favourite song on the album.
I really see these guys going places.

Last edited by a moderator: