Stereochrist - Dead River Blues

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Stereochrist - Dead River Blues
Firebox Records/Arctic Music Group - 2004
By Adam McAuley

stereo.jpg

It isn't too often that I get to hear quality stoner metal, so this album was a pleasant surprise. Stereochrist have the thick grooves and distinct sound to succeed in a relatively unpopulated genre. Dead River Blues is a great record to chill to...sit back, relax and let the dense sound overwhelm your eardrums. It also holds equal effectiveness in a party situation, if you please, due to the general feel good nature portrayed.

Stereochrist tread across Down, Sabbath and Trouble, amongst others, as influences, and it shows strongly in their riffs and personality. A very southernish sound is present, which partially gives the Down comparison, but it also shows in the singer's strange tone - my only complaint with the album. Although he fits in with the music, his voice is generally quite annoying, distracting and easily the worst part of the record. Aside from him, the other band members perform their jobs effectively and with conviction.

Opener "Smack the Sun", the heavy crunch-laden of "Hologram Man" and the very pretty "Supersorrow" are my favorite tracks on Dead River Blues. It seems the band is more consistent when going for the typical Sabbath riffs, rather than the moments where singing is the driving faculty of the music. If you're looking for a fun stoner album, since quality records of this type seem to show up only sporadically, definitely sink your teeth in and enjoy.

7.5/10

Official Arctic Music Group website
Official Firebox Records websiteOfficial Stereochrist website