Steve Harris announces solo album

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
599612_10151023774464764_1047277199_n.jpg

Iron Maiden's Steve Harris announced that he will release a solo album entitled "British Lion" through EMI Music on September 24, 2012. The album is comprised of ten songs that Steve and his collaborators have been working on for the past few years between Iron Maiden tours and releases.
The following is from the official press release: "With a decidedly heavy rock-vibe this roaring debut paints with a full palette of sounds; brooding, melancholic, righteously indignant and exuberantly heavy. With Kevin Shirley at the mixing helm – whose credits include Iron Maiden as well as Led Zeppelin, Journey and Rush among many others – this is an album to sink your teeth into.
"From the growling riffage of opening salvo 'This Is My God' to the heavy forlorn balladry of follow-up Lost Worlds which showcases Richard Taylor’s soaring vocals, it’s clear that ‘British Lion’ is an altogether different beast from Maiden.
" 'Karma Killer', with its dirge-like muscularity, and 'Us Against The World', with its massive chorus, demonstrates just how far ‘British Lion’ has flexed Steve Harris’ considerable musical muscle. Dovetailed with guitarist David Hawkins’ positively gargantuan lyrical guitar melodies, it’s a mere hors d'oeuvre ahead of the epic, riffing-feast of 'The Chosen Ones', with its swaggering bravado.
" 'A World Without Heaven, at a breathtaking seven minutes and infused with progressive elements without ever teetering into self-indulgence illustrates perfectly these songsmiths’ colossal abilities to create a mood and stay there. Supercharged by Steve Harris’ inimitable style, there’s an un-cynical vibe here that’s as refreshing as it is out of place in today’s all-too-categorised music industry.
"And as far as the name ‘British Lion’; 'I’ve always been proud to be British,' explains Steve, 'I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be. It’s a massive part of being me. It’s not like I’m flag-waving or trying to preach, this is not a political statement at all. It’s like supporting your football team, where you come from. I just think it lends itself to some really strong imagery too, and to me it fits in with the sound.'
"With Iron Maiden, Steve Harris has become one of the most recognised and successful ambassadors for British music on the world stage. Having released 15 studio albums, sold over 85 million records worldwide and played more than two thousand gigs in 58 countries in the band’s thirty-five year career, his appeal is truly global.
"And now with ‘British Lion’, Steve steps out from Iron Maiden’s illustrious shadow to present a different side of his musical visions."
The tracklisting for ‘British Lion’ is as follows:
1. This Is My God
2. Lost Worlds
3. Karma Killer
4. Us Against The World
5. The Chosen Ones
6. A World Without Heaven
7. Judas
8. Eyes Of The Young
9. These Are The Hands
10. The Lesson

steveharris.jpg

Never thought I'd see this happen. Kind of disappointed that Steve isn't singing - that'd be something - but not surprised whatsoever.

I'm glad he isn't!

Expected something like this might come about after Maiden had announced they had hung up the boots, even if it was only temporary. Considering they are currently on tour and hinting at working on new material next year, I didn't see this coming at all. VERY excited about it though. I wonder what it is about the songs that made him decide not to keep them for Maiden? I'm hoping for a somewhat celtic style that the artwork is hinting at. Also very interested in who these musos are that he is working with and where they came from. As soon as interviews start popping up I'll be reading them very closely!

This is interesting....
I just googled British Lion and Steve Harris and came across an old interview from Steve and Dave Murray back in 1992.
Check out this excerpt:

Raw: Steve's own interest in the UK scene has also led to his involvement with a young London outfit by the name of British Lion. So what's the score on that front?

Steve: Well, the situation with them is that they're just changing a couple of members in the band and they've got to finish mixing this album that they've just done and they're finising off this video. All I've been doing is trying to help 'em out until they get management or a record deal. Basically, I just believe in the songs. They're not a metal band, they're a rock band really and they're really commercial, but I think they're really bloody good and they deserve a shot at it. It's like a lot of British bands. At least there's a few bands coming through now though. Wolfsbane, Gun, The Almighty and even Little Angels who are commercial but who are really good, so that's healthy 'cos there's a real bit of promise. Other than that though, bands playing around in pubs and clubs don't seem to be too exicting because they just don't seem to write good songs. That's strange. What amazes me is that a lot of the tapes of bands that I've heard actually sound kind of American. Then again, I suppose a lot of people could argue that British Lion sound a bit American because they're commercial, but to me they've still got this edge that the Americans haven't got. It's a bit of fire in there that makes a difference. The real key is getting out and playing though.

http://maidenfans.com/index.php?ACT=module&name=rwarticles&show=21

JB has this listed as being released on Friday. How excitement!

In regards to that article Spruce posted above, the first couple of reviews to come out say that apparently the dudes from British Lion make up part of the band, and some of the songs are reworks of their originals I think. Strange that it took THIS long to come about.

Just wrote half a page on this and the bloody thing vanished.
Here is the jist of the post..... British Lion was a band where Steve knew the guitarist. He sent Steve a demo cassette (yes that long ago) and Steve liked the songs. Over the years Steve helped the band write songs/modify existing songs. Over that period of time white lion disbanded. Steve believes these songs are strong and should be released.
The interesting part is that I have heard no samples. It reminds me of when a movie is released without preview showings for critics to review. It is usually a good sign that the flick is a bomb. Anyhow, I am very interested to here Steve make music away from Maiden. Think it's out on the 28th??