"Steve Jobs killed the music industry"

I see where he's coming from, but it's still a fucking stupid thing to say. As if any ONE thing could be the sole reason why the music industry is the way it is. The way I see it is the music "industry" creates products. The ones that people demand are the ones that are made. People want ipods, so there you go.

edit: Also, since he has such great artistic integrity, I'm sure he will quickly remove all of his songs from being sold on itunes, because why would anyone share their profit with someone who KILLED the music industry?

Yeah this coming from the guy whose concert tour grossed over 200 million dollars last year.

Shut the fuck up Bon Jovi.

and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it. God, it was a magical, magical time

Magical times = buying shitty music because of nice jacket? o_O I remember some albums I bought that sucked ass but they had a nice cover... it was not magical, it sucked!

Steve Jobs found a way to monetize technology being used almost exclusively for theft. If anything he slowed the bleeding.

That said, I get where he's coming from but it's less an argument against itunes and more an argument against the devaluation of music and the mystery and joy of shopping for physical media when you're young. I know some of you guys never experienced that but a lot of us grew up hanging out in record store and buying stuff entirely based on recommendations and yes, cover art. Obviously that's a far less efficient way to get new stuff but it was exciting at the time.

I get what he is saying, back in the day it was cool to spend your allowance on like one album and listen to it over and over, reading teh liner notes, etc

I don't think the magic is gone just because music is more readily available, if people choose not to find an album "magical" and actually read the booklet and cherish it and such then it is most likely their own choice. I still find particular albums magical... I think people just don't find the same fascination in music. For that I blame the fact that it's used constantly, always during tv and commercials and playing in shops, you sub consciously learn to phase it out so when you do sit down to music you are less likely to give it the same attention people who cherished vinyl growing up did. It used to be like reading a book, you sat down and just listened to music. Now people tend to use it as a supplement or background noise not as an activity of its own. My two cents anyway.

I don't think the magic is gone just because music is more readily available, if people choose not to find an album "magical" and actually read the booklet and cherish it and such then it is most likely their own choice. I still find particular albums magical... I think people just don't find the same fascination in music. For that I blame the fact that it's used constantly, always during tv and commercials and playing in shops, you sub consciously learn to phase it out so when you do sit down to music you are less likely to give it the same attention people who cherished vinyl growing up did. It used to be like reading a book, you sat down and just listened to music. Now people tend to use it as a supplement or background noise not as an activity of its own. My two cents anyway.

Exactly.
I don't even own a portable MP3 player for that reason. Do we really fucking need music blaring in our ears from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed? Okay, fair enough if you'll a full time audio engineer whose job is to listen to shit all day and make it sound better, but otherwise, I'd say the answer is quite definitely no.
The only time I really wish I had one is when I'm in the gym, because it's just this crappy pop radio station playing in there.
Every time I go there, I hear this fucking song "I just wanna say hello.........OHHH OHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" (I think that's the lyrics of the chorus anyway)anyway) and various other shitty "r'n'b' and dance pop shit (no offense to the dance pop fans here, cos I know some of you guys like Lady Gaga and stuff like that, but I personally cannot stomach music like that for the life of me)
I suppose the irritating factor of that music pushes my adrenaline harder and makes me lift better :lol:

But otherwise, I think it's cool to just take in the sounds of the environment around you when you're out and about.
Sometimes a busker on the street might be playing something awesome (recently I listened to some cellist busker dude playing some Bach pieces when I was walking around the inner city, was really cool) so I just love to stand there for a few minutes just listening to them play, something I'd probably just totally ignore and keep walking if I had ear buds in blasting music in my ears.
Then when you finally get home, just take some time to really listen to some music properly and truly feel it.

Bon Jovi should stop making shitty music and not whine about mp3. He's right on the magical part, though.. but I won't physically (nor digitally) buy his fucking music anyway. ;)
I love cool digipacks/albums with lots of nice artworks, pictures and "engraved" logos etc.
Imho, the labels killed music industry but holding on to a dying technology, by signing only the same sounding artists with their shitty 100% mass-compatible music again, and completely ignoring every prognosis and every development that clearly happened.

Clockwork and Harry -- we're not saying music is not magical anymore (quite the contrary IMO)...what we're saying is that there was a certain magic/mystery about selecting music based on their record/cd covers. That particular feeling is something I haven't experienced in many years. The first Demons and Wizards CD comes to mind. What a kick ass cover that was.

Clockwork and Harry -- we're not saying music is not magical anymore (quite the contrary IMO)...what we're saying is that there was a certain magic/mystery about selecting music based on their record/cd covers. That particular feeling is something I haven't experienced in many years. The first Demons and Wizards CD comes to mind. What a kick ass cover that was.

If people didn't still do that then we would not still have album covers. And I see no downside to being able to listen to the music before you buy it so you don;t have to go on a picture the band may or may not have had any artistic control over.

You can still buy albums based on the art if you want to, no one's going to force you to preview the songs :p not even Steve Jobs.

Hmm, I am 34, not the oldest one, but grown up spending way to much time in music and instrument stores. My way of buying and consuming an album has not changed over the years. I was able to prelisten Music in the Stores before buying them and mostly did, and I can do now. There were releases that were bought without thinking about it, because it was "The new album from XY" and there are still some today. I still listen to albums as one piece as I did back than, as it is the way I like to consume music. It is still possible to listen to an album :) You just have to have them in the correct order in your playlist :p
Some small things changed tho: Every time I started to listen to an album I had the LP or CD cover in my hand, watching the Cover, now its mostly clicking a line in iTunes but, as I still buy CDs and convert them to mp3 because I like to have media in my livingroom, I can still watch and read them as much as I want. Well, and we don't have to stand up and switch sides on LPs when the first half or quarter is over :p

So, it is not that you are forced to buy music without coverartwork, its not, that you are forced to listen so songs instead of albums. There were mix-tapes back than and many of my friends had those in their walkmen, not very different to random lists in their ipods today.

I think Jovi was just trying to employ a spot of lateral thinking, pinpointing the starting point and being flippant. I don't think he meant it literally. It's like saying Hitler's mother started WWII just because she gave birth to a maniacal dictator. Whilst technically true, it's not directly her 'fault', and is just exaggerated lateral thinking. He was just trying to make a point, but just came off like an angry old fart instead :lol:

Bon Jovi is fucking wrong and fucking old.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... back the fuck off the Jovi...

And his tour may have grossed over 200 million... means he's doing something right if people will still pay to go see him play after so long...

everyone knows that live is the only way to make a living in the industry nowadays....

I did not find buying tapes/CD's magical at all. It was a pain in my ass and I was very poor. I'd basically go in the store and listen to the album I could not buy. Fucking sucked. :(

The first point is good, sortof. Accessibility is great, but there has been a certain devaluing of music due to the incredible increases in supply

the second is just dumb. Yeah it was definitely Steve Jobs, on his own and entirely personally, who ruined the music industry.