"Steve Jobs killed the music industry"

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... back the fuck off the Jovi...

And his tour may have grossed over 200 million... means he's doing something right if people will still pay to go see him play after so long...

everyone knows that live is the only way to make a living in the industry nowadays....

When all the old and tasteless people die, he'll be out on his ass. Yay!
:Spin:

what we're saying is that there was a certain magic/mystery about selecting music based on their record/cd covers. That particular feeling is something I haven't experienced in many years.

So true. I haven't felt that 'magic' in over 10 years, since the last CD I bought. To me it was also a turning point in deciding to make music my living. And the strange thing is, I don't regret having spent one dime on that.. even on the albums that sucked and ended up trading/piling up (and I spent A LOT).

People who never got to experience it don't have a clue what that is, but to me it reminds me not only of the music, but more so, where I bought it, what friends I had, what things I was going through.. my life back then. It's a whole trip down memory lane. Certainly made the music more intimate, more personal.

Now the only memory you would get is pressing 'add to cart' :ill:
Fail!

and sitting in front of the facking computer, for a change (that's not even a memory I'm being ironic)

Buying stuff nowadays that I can listen to on the web.. I'd feel like a retard.

I still want to buy good 'old' > late 90's :lol: music in lossless format, buy it's more expensive nowadays (add injury to insult) and I've become so lazy to put in a CD on the tray, I just wanna click things..

EDIT: Yet of course, he's also trying there to convince more pplz to buy his records ;)

"Steve Jobs killed the magic of buying music without knowing what it sounds like, and basing your selection purely on the cover art... Oh, and the internet may also have had something to do with that..."

I kind of get what he meant, but holy shit did it not come out in a way that sounds reasonable, and his scapegoat is totally, totally off the mark if he's saying what I think he tried to... It's like he's ignoring the decade-and-a-half in which people have been able to sample music on places like Amazon and get recommendations for other albums, all of which were around LONG before iTunes.

Exactly.
I don't even own a portable MP3 player for that reason. Do we really fucking need music blaring in our ears from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed? Okay, fair enough if you'll a full time audio engineer whose job is to listen to shit all day and make it sound better, but otherwise, I'd say the answer is quite definitely no.

Well I do really fucking need music blaring in my ears from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Who are you to say how are people suposed to enjoy music? There are times when I sit down relax and enjoy some tunes and there are times where I'd rather listen to my favourite tracks instead of hearing boring conversations which I'm not taking part in - in the bus, at university, at work etc.
I'd also rather listen to my favourite music instead of hearing everyday urban noise, what's wrong with that? There are milions of ways in which you can enjoy music yet old vinyl fans keep saying otherwise.
You can get the music you want in an instant, so what? Isn't it actually about LISTENING rather than showing off what you dug up on a huge vinyl records stack(after dismissing dozens of bad records you didn't like because only way you could judge when buying was the cover? If so then I agree, finding a good listenable song was actually an miracle worth celebrating). If anything, I am happy I can listen to so much music on myspace, youtube, etc.
I understand older people will hold to their beliefs that their times were better and so on(this is normal and happens all the time throughout generations) but stop saying we can't experience this magic in music you are talking about because we actually can.
I may have sounded bit too aggresive, for which I apologize, but really, stop telling people how they should be enjoying stuff.

Well I do really fucking need music blaring in my ears from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Who are you to say how are people suposed to enjoy music? There are times when I sit down relax and enjoy some tunes and there are times where I'd rather listen to my favourite tracks instead of hearing boring conversations which I'm not taking part in - in the bus, at university, at work etc.
I'd also rather listen to my favourite music instead of hearing everyday urban noise, what's wrong with that? There are milions of ways in which you can enjoy music yet old vinyl fans keep saying otherwise.
You can get the music you want in an instant, so what? Isn't it actually about LISTENING rather than showing off what you dug up on a huge vinyl records stack(after dismissing dozens of bad records you didn't like because only way you could judge when buying was the cover? If so then I agree, finding a good listenable song was actually an miracle worth celebrating). If anything, I am happy I can listen to so much music on myspace, youtube, etc.
I understand older people will hold to their beliefs that their times were better and so on(this is normal and happens all the time throughout generations) but stop saying we can't experience this magic in music you are talking about because we actually can.
I may have sounded bit too aggresive, for which I apologize, but really, stop telling people how they should be enjoying stuff.

Wow bro. I think you misinterpreted what he was saying. I think we were saying that people aren't as attentive to music because it is around us all the time whether we choose it to be or not. I don't think he said anything about how you should be enjoying whatever it is you enjoy...

I don't think the magic has gone at all. Teenagers are probably on Last Fm not only finding new music but talking to people from all over the world and discovering new bands from their new friends. I'd much rather have had access to that than going to shops and buying things that you aren't certain are going to be good. I bought bad cd's with awesome covers a lot, I ordered in Metallica live bootlegs sold for $80 dollars that were just terrible and walked around with a portable cd player the size of a brick. Not magical, fucking annoying

I don't think the magic has gone at all. Teenagers are probably on Last Fm not only finding new music but talking to people from all over the world and discovering new bands from their new friends. I'd much rather have had access to that than going to shops and buying things that you aren't certain are going to be good. I bought bad cd's with awesome covers a lot, I ordered in Metallica live bootlegs sold for $80 dollars that were just terrible and walked around with a portable cd player the size of a brick. Not magical, fucking annoying

OT here but I remember when I was 16 I bought an instructional DVD of metallica songs for bass thinking it was legit because it really seemed like it and when I got home it was a random dude explaining and playing the songs in the most awkward way I've ever seen... and it cost me like 50€ ... lol

i agree on the concept he's talking about. i can definitly say that BUYING an album and listening to it while reading the lyrics and looking at the cover art an experience that probably isn't going to happen to today's kids.
(hence the loss of bieng enchanted by beutiful melodies such as metallica's "Sanitarium")

but out of all people, Steve Jobs? if i had to choose, i'd blame MTV's CEO.
a channel whose initials stand for "MUSIC television" and all he plays is Jersey shore and sweet 16.
what the fuck does that have to do with music?!?!
i guess what i'm saying is, FUCK MTV!