STEVE VAI

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Seriously, the guy is so awesomely unique among the guitar virtuosos in the fact that he seems to have just limitless control over every note he plays, bending and wailing on them to his whim with such flawless precision for what I perceive as amazing expressiveness - check out the solo at 1:35 in the vid below, I just hang on every note he plays; the choice of notes, as well as phrasing and rhythm, is so spectacular IMO

And of course, the awesome duel with Tony Macalpine at 5:16 in this video

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing guitarist/musician and super nice guy when I saw him live a few years back! Same with Sheehan. I just can't listen to his music haha.

Who James, Vai's music? I love his stuff personally, Passion and Warfare is an incredible album, and the others all have great moments too IMO. Never had the pleasure of seeing him live, however! :(

Ooh, and I always loved this one too, and Petrucci has some cool moments as well (it really picks up at around 1:03)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who James, Vai's music? I love his stuff personally, Passion and Warfare is an incredible album, and the others all have great moments too IMO. Never had the pleasure of seeing him live, however! :(

Ooh, and I always loved this one too, and Petrucci has some cool moments as well (it really picks up at around 1:03)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THWYEdzgXH8

Saw G3, with Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci and Satch though, it was definitely ace.

I love the way Vai plays, but I just don't really like his music. Even though Gareth might say that it's not at all avant-garde and stuff, I think it is a little too much for me.

Yeah ive got Passion and Warefare, I don't mind that one at all, I guess its the later stuff which is a bit "jittery" for me. I prefer Sach's music to listen to & yeah that jam is sweet!

Honestly, I don't think you can even say Petrucci in the same sentence as Vai.
Don't get me wrong, Petrucci is amazing, but honestly he sounds like pretty much every other shredder when he solos and I've been listening to Dream Theater for nearly 5 years now.

However, talking 'bout Joe Satriani, I remember once hearing this thing on a guitar radio show, and within about 5 notes I said "This has gotta be Satch!" and the radio announcer indeed confirmed my belief.
I could do the same for Vai as well, they have just so unique phrasing and nuance to their style, which unfortunately can't really be said for Petrucci.

As far as I'm concerned, Satch and Vai are the peak of instrumental guitar music. Sure, some guys can play faster, or whatever, but non one has ever been as expressive as these 2 guys and especially in Satch's case, usually never as tasty and restrained and caring for the music more than their egos.
Another thing a lot of shredders can't seem to do is play rhythm well. Yet Satch and Vai are monstrous rhythm guitarists too.

I do prefer to listen to Satch by far, because sometimes a lot of Vai's compositions are just too much and I really have to be in the mood for it, but both are amazing.
I saw Satch, Vai and Petrucci at the very first G3 tour in Australia, towards the end of 2006, such an amazing gig.

As far as I'm concerned, Satch and Vai are the peak of instrumental guitar music. Sure, some guys can play faster, or whatever, but non one has ever been as expressive as these 2 guys and especially in Satch's case, usually never as tasty and restrained and caring for the music more than their egos.

Satriani and Vai are great players but my favorite players are Jason Becker and Marty Friedman and Yngwie.

Before I discovered those players I was a huge Vai and Satriani fan but those GREAT GREAT players changed my view about virtuoso playing.

One of the BIG definitions of a truly great musician: you can tell who they are from one phrase. (or one note if you're talking miles davis but hey that's cheating half of his phrases later on were just one note!)

I saw Steve Vai live and I was pretty blown away. There was a liiiiittle too much mindless wanking later on in the set but it was a great gig all the same. Also, it was ridiculously loud, louder than anything i've been to since

Satriani and Vai are great players but my favorite players are Jason Becker and Marty Friedman and Yngwie.

Before I discovered those players I was a huge Vai and Satriani fan but those GREAT GREAT players changed my view about virtuoso playing.

I love them guys too, but by the time you get to Rising Force's 4th album, Yngwie had already said everything he could with his guitar/compositions and pretty much became the AC/DC of virtuoso guitar based album music.
Marty's Dragon's Kiss is still one of my favorites, as is Perpetual Burn.
Marty's solos on Lucretia and Tornado of souls from RIP are among my favorite solos of all time too, but after the 90s he really stopped progressing IMO and his last few albums have been pretty horrible.

Personally what I like about Satch is that he's so restrained and never overplays, whereas I've seen Malmsteen live and 1/10 th of it is just him playing way too many notes.
It's great to have such classy technique, but you need to know when it's appropriate to use it and unlike Vai/Satch, Malmsteen doesn't always seem to understand when it's appropriate and just wanks away.

Sorry, I can't stand these kind of guitarists. They are bloody boring!

I prefer those good guitarists into bands, playing as a band, like Townsend, Smolski, Loomis, Impelliteri, Waters...and many other excelent players in amusing bands.

Considering Satch was in The Rolling Stones, Deep Purple (2 highly coveted gigs for sure, whether you like the music or not) and Chickenfoot, he has plenty of band cred.
Vai used to be in Alcatrazz and Whitenake, band cred a plenty there.
They may be known as solo artists, but compared to many shred wankers, they actually care for the compositions and what's going on behind the lead guitars.

Considering Satch was in The Rolling Stones, Deep Purple (2 highly coveted gigs for sure, whether you like the music or not) and Chickenfoot, he has plenty of band cred.
Vai used to be in Alcatrazz and Whitenake, band cred a plenty there.

For few years/months, because the bands also thought they were boring, I guess.

they actually care for the compositions and what's going on behind the lead guitars.

For me is like those stupid abstract paintings that nobody understand,
but people say they understand to be cool.

Anyway, he is one of the greatest guitar players but that attitude of experimental-cosmic-prog-divine artist... is irritating and those compositions of senseless and boring random notations are very very boring.

C'mon Vai fans!, hit me, beat me, nail me on the cross....
I'm ready!

Sadam_Husein_prueba_lanzagranadas.jpg

Vai is still one of my favorite guitarists. His playing and songs can really get to me sometimes. While I'm a bit torn with Satriani. Sometimes he sounds good, and sometimes he sounds like he's just playing to a jam track.