Steve Wilson writing for EM (Electronic Musician)

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
From Steve Wilson's facebook update:
"I've recently started writing about music again, this time in the form of a monthly column for the US magazine Electronic Musician. It's called "New is the New Old", and each month I write about an aspect of the music industry as we know it today, compared to how it was in the past (mostly unfavourably it must be said). Of couse these are very personal perspectives, but I try to put them across in a thought provoking way, and create some discussion at least. The column is also available online at the EM website."

Check out his latest article...
http://emusician.com/interviews/in_the_mix/in_the_mix_compression_blues/index.html

Great stuff....

Here's my take: as many albums were sold last year as in 1973, part of the heyday Steven refers to. I think there are still people who believe in the format, it's just competing with a lot more than it used to have to. There seems to be no shortage of people who live and breathe music, there always have been. I also believe we're going to see a decline in piracy, due to the hassle of dealing with the noise and security risks of p2p, and legitimate alternatives becoming easier and more affordable. Vinyl is making a resurgence. It's hard for me to be cynical when so many cool things are happening at once.

Steven is definitely one of the leaders of the music community, and I almost always agree with him, but sometimes I think he strives to create a poetic sense of drama that (at times) dates his comments back by a few years.