Stevie Ray Vaughan - your thoughts?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Any fans here?

Over the past few months, I've developed a strong love for late 60s / early 70s blues inspired rock. So with that said, I finally delved into SRVs catalog. And, I must say, this guy raged!!!!

Sure, the songwriting was mediocre, but the playing - especially the solos - friggin' knock me over.

So, do you like him? Or do you think he was an over-rated hack?

how could stevie ray vaughn be an overrated hack? hes a better guitarist than just about anyone the people here mention regularly. very talented individual, its a shame we lose most of them in their primes...

I've been a huge fan for a long time. This man had such a passion for the guitar & playing music. Very emotional. I never had the chance to see him live, but his performances (when he wasn't too fucked up) looked incredible. I love the way he'd improvise & change things up a bit. He was so creative in a live setting. SRV will always be amongst my favorite guitar players.

Overrated hack ??? Not IMO

Stevie Ray Vaughn!! One of the greatest guitar players ever. IMO, Stevie was who brought "contemporary" electric blues to the forefront. More than being a great guitarist, Stevie was a great human being, who I had the fortune of meeting, along with his brother Jimmie another fine bluesman. My top 3 guitarists of all time--- All you know-it-alls and keyboard warriors I'm ready for the flames--1( Hendrix 2.) Stevie Ray 3.) Roy Buchanan and one more Tommy Bolin.

Soundmaster, your ? is what most people ask about Buchanan. He's often referred to as "the greatest unknown guitar player ever" Roy's style was, well, he could play anything, IMO, he was steeped in the blues. He had a tone that for lack of a better word, "cryed" Maybe the most emotive player I'e ever heard. If you want to check him out I would suggest: "Sweet Dreams the Anthology" or "Live in Japan" Of course, this is all subjective, but, Jeff Beck said Roy was the greatest guitar player ever. Peace.

well composition-wise he wasn't so fantastic but when it came to soloing, I can hardly think of anybody with such passion in playing...