Stick!!!

ShredManWalking

Hit man for the Order
Dec 5, 2002
Kent State University
listen.to
I have this insane dream of learning to play a Chapmann Stick. Well, I have never seen any other way of getting one aside from the website. The local guitar stores don't sell them! Tapping, although a relatively easy technique, is one of my favorites. I would like to take it entirely to a new level if I had a damn Stick. Does anyone know... are they hard to play? You look at Tony Levin, who makes it look sooooo easy on the Liquid Tension stuff. Oh, one of my guitar buddies told me that you would need both a bass amp and a guitar amp to get proper tone with a stick because of the bass and trebble strings. Is he right?:confused:

A Chapman Stick is an electric stringed instrument that includes bass and guitar strings. It is basically just a huge fretboard, meant to be played like a piano with both hands (using the tapping technique for guitar, or big chord shapes.) It has 12 strings, or certain ones have 15. There are also special bass versions of it too. Try www.stick.com for some information. I love the sound of it! Try downloading "Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure" by Liquid Tension Experiment to hear a Stick. Also, a Stick was used on Dream Theater's "New Millenium." I probably sound like a damn infomercial...

o_O

Trey Gunn has done some cool stuff on the Stick and on his touch guitars. He used the Stick with King Crimson, but the best stuff I've heard has been with the Trey Gunn Band.

He uses two Line6 PODs, one for treble and one for bass, in his rig. You can see his setup here.

I saw a guy playing one at the NAMM show in Atlantic City, NJ about 10 years ago. I also worked to design some of the strings for it, although I never got to test them on it (I wouldn't have the first clue about playing one of those). The low strings are definitely bass tones and I do believe they require a special amplifier. I think the pickups are sparated with 2 outputs, but I don't know this for sure. All I know is that some of those bass tones would be pretty hard to produce on a guitar amp.

Originally posted by scanner313
I saw a guy playing one at the NAMM show in Atlantic City, NJ about 10 years ago. I also worked to design some of the strings for it, although I never got to test them on it (I wouldn't have the first clue about playing one of those). The low strings are definitely bass tones and I do believe they require a special amplifier. I think the pickups are sparated with 2 outputs, but I don't know this for sure. All I know is that some of those bass tones would be pretty hard to produce on a guitar amp.

Yes, there are two separate outputs. Like on the video found on the website, that guy is solo with the higher strings (distorted) and playing the bass riff (clean) underneath the solo. Amazing.