circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Still Remains – Of Love and Lunacy
Roadrunner Records – 168 618 205-2 – May 3rd, 2005
By Jason Jordan

WE13_APP_COVER1.jpg

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Still Remains is the best metalcore band on Roadrunner Records’s roster and, moreover, they’re one of the most refreshing, metalcore outfits that I’ve come across. That’s saying a lot when a reviewer such as myself is frequently set adrift on a sea filled with –core bands. What sets this quintet apart from the pack? For starters, the use of keyboards and impeccable timing.

From “To Live and Die by Fire” up until “Blossom, the Witch,” it sounds as if the guys were heavily influenced by Swedish catalysts like Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork. And, actually, likening the band to Underoath isn’t far-fetched either, specifically due to the keyboards. At any rate, customary metalcore rhythms have nudged their way into the Still Remains sound, as evidenced by compositions such as “The Worst is Yet to Come” – which features copious amounts of clean singing – and “In Place of Hope.” The latter really leeches from Soilwork. But, all the influences found on Of Love and Lunacy have been melded together, which comprises a whole that doesn’t feel contrived or calculated. “With What You Have” is a short, piano interlude that I don’t think was entirely necessary. It goes without saying that the band continues to service us with “Kelsey,” “Recovery,” and “I Can Revive Him with My Own Hands.” The band can definitely be considered melodic and the screams – though undeniably average – are okay.

Mostly, I think that Still Remains have a fresh sound that puts several metalcore bands to shame. This subgenre is tired, I know, but there is always possibility for success in spite of overwhelming odds. Of Love and Lunacy isn’t the best metalcore effort ever conceived, but if you like the subgenre then the aforementioned should find its way into your collection relatively soon.

8/10

Official Still Remains Website
Official Roadrunner Records Website