Still Thrashin' (uber rough - beta monkey, ampeg svx, randall g3)

-J-

May 7, 2007
I did a rough mix of a tune for a fellow Sneapster to help out with vox on (I need all the vocal help I can get, believe me :lol:).

I know there's a bunch of stuff going on here:
-guitars are a bit fizzy/nasally (I might do 2 more with an amp sim and blend)
-vox are probably too loud
-bass drum is getting a bit buried (need to combine with triggered sample)
But any other tips, affirmations of existing problems, or general snide comments appreciated.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7376987&q=hi

edit: figured out how to trigger a second kick to blend. workin' nicely. reaper comes through again!

dang, I didn't expect that! I figured someone would drop the hammer on all the flubs and the vox. thanks!! :headbang:

yeah, that's a cool song. love the guitar harmonies! during the chorus you need some gang vocals.."STILL THRASHING!... WITH PASSION!"

as far as the mix goes, i think the guitar tone fits the song well, but if you want to make them sound heavier i'd work on the bass tone a bit. it could use a little more low end and overdrive imo. but the snare, kick and toms need to come up in the mix big time, you might try compressing them a bit more to bring them up in the mix. other than that it's a pretty good sounding mix. very natural.

yeah, that's a cool song. love the guitar harmonies! during the chorus you need some gang vocals.."STILL THRASHING!... WITH PASSION!"

as far as the mix goes, i think the guitar tone fits the song well, but if you want to make them sound heavier i'd work on the bass tone a bit. it could use a little more low end and overdrive imo. but the snare, kick and toms need to come up in the mix big time, you might try compressing them a bit more to bring them up in the mix. other than that it's a pretty good sounding mix. very natural.

thanks for the tips - I'll use 'em all. I actually had an OD on the bass when I was goofing with the mix and then I was like, "nah." But it was probably the real deal and I didn't realize it.

forum bro will be hookin' up the backing vox, and he's got a great voice for it!

of course, I've got some solo wanking to add too.

----
for what it's worth beta monkey drum loops are kind of tedious to work with. I probably won't do another song with them. for part of the tune I had to program drums manually and create my own loops because there were no good loops that fit. kinda defeats the purpose of using loops if you have to program. and mixing is tough since they're sort of pre-mixed. but for $30, not bad I guess.