Super Hyper Awesome Axe-FX ULTRA, SD2/MF, SSD, Ampeg SVX Tone Test Extravaganza

friendforafoe

FFaF Guitarist/Producer
Oct 2, 2009
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
Hola peoples,

As some you may know, I finally have acquired and Axe-Fx ULTRA and have been plugging away at creating some tones while I wrap my head around this awesome piece of equipment (it's easy to make great-sounding tones from the get go, but the sheer amount of advanced options you have like sag, bias, etc etc is ridiculous and a bit intimidating). So I bring you THREE little clips for you to criticize/praise.

The first one is entitled "VIOLINS!" which is based on a violin preset I tweaked and is purely my guitar and the Axe Fx ... this was just for fun :D

The second two tone tests are the start of our new mix for Friend For A Foe. It's a bit rough right now, but it's slowly getting there and is by no means a final mix even if does sound uber tasty at the moment. In order to give us a more unique drum sound, I spent a good while combining snare and kick samples from Metal Foundry and Steven Slate Drums and the overheads and toms from Metal Foundry. Needless to say, I'm happy with the results so far. It's an UBER punchy kit, but sounds very natural imo so as the tones progress, so will the kit. Not bad for a first draft methinks.

The bass is also using Ampeg SVX instead of Pod Farm 2 like I normally do ... I'm still trying to decide which to use, but I love the way the bass sits in the mix and really compliments everything.

Anyways, let me know what you think!

Songs located here: http://www.soundclick.com/friendforafoe

Thanks guys,
Chris

hey man!

I really dig whats going on here! Since I don't have an axe, I wouldn't ask about the guitar tone, its not a surprize at all that it sounds amazing lol. I m really intrested about your drum processing, like how much percentage slate / mf the result is. Which kits did u use from Slate? Z(#)? Also i m really digging the lowend, its really definable and everything cuts thru well. Keep the awesome riffs coming dude, thanks for sharing them!

**UPDATE**

Wanna hear something SUPER heavy with vocals by our vocalist Chris Barretto? This started as another Axe-Fx tone test with the 8-string, but ended up turning into a Acacia Strain meets Meshuggah lovechild called "Secret Squirrel" ... it's retarded heavy. NOT a FFaF song and not mixed fully, but it's all in good fun ... enjoy!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9681111

Chris is singing for you?

Also, in your clip I literally can't hear guitars..

yea guitars need to come up. in all three clips actually. but especially the last one

I really like the tone in test 1 the best, test 2 sounds dirtier.
..and I also like the riff in test 1 a lot! very groovy, makes me wanna dance :p

Hey thanks for the input fellas. I was pretty damn sick when I did these and was mixing through my Beyerdynamics DT-880 Pros headphones vice my KRK RP8s. Through headphones, it sounded fine, but once I got around to listening via monitors after my head wasn't so clogged up I made this face --> :(

The guitars still have loads of headroom and I'll be turning those up asap. Mixing with a viral infection and hopped up on meds makes for some interesting results lol. The drums I'm proud of, but I'm not at the computer with the mix right now so I can't give you the levels and details just yet, but I'll get to that in a bit for ya!

Yes sir, Chris Barretto is Friend For A Foe's full-time singer as well as Benjamin Guarino (resident Periphery artist and of Thinking Imagery fame) ... we're doing the two vocalist route so we're still experimenting with ideas before we record something else. Our first offering "Niacin" was approached in a very traditional manner which is what we should NOT do with trying to utilize two vocalists, so we'll be revisiting that one. Still figuring out everything :)

Glad you guys enjoyed the work in progress mixes! I'll be sure to post up any updates soon!