circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Stinking Lizaveta – Scream of the Iron Iconoclast
At a Loss Recordings – AAL022 – April 23, 2007
By Jason Jordan

stinkinglizavetasotii.jpg

Stinking Lizaveta is a name that gets tossed around in instrumental circles, and rightfully so, as Scream of the Iron Iconoclast – their fifth full-length – is a melting pot that fuses a variety of styles into one semi-interesting whole. Genres such as rock, doom, stoner, jazz, blues, and others are explored here, and though there’s a lot to like about Scream…, it’s too easy to drift off during the jam-heavy portions that display an unnecessary amount of noodling, which would probably be better suited to a live setting.

At barely over an hour, perhaps it’s unrealistic to demand undivided attention when an instrumental band as varied as Stinking Lizaveta are involved – due to the meandering that occurs in several of the 16 tracks up for grabs. Leads and such aren’t overkill in tracks like ‘Gravitas,’ ‘To the Sun,’ and ‘Thirteenth Moon’ since they’re significantly more structured than others that aimlessly wander, ostensibly, for minutes on end. Also, I find it difficult to enjoy Scream of the Iron Iconoclast when it’s at its most sluggish – ‘Secrets of the Past,’ ‘Presence of Mind,’ ‘That’s How I Feel,’ etc. – whereas the tension-filled ‘Indomitable Will’ and bouncy closer ‘Nails’ succeed as a result of their energy.

Now, I’ve never been enthralled with Steve Albini’s production-related work, but his recording and mixing jobs impressed me here. Each instrument can be heard clearly and distinctly, and the trio sound great overall. Still, while SL’s latest has a few definite winners among the 16, I think the length expects an unrealistic attention span from the average listener, and, furthermore, perhaps a few less tracks (10, 12, or even 14) would’ve been more manageable. Though very good from time to time, I doubt I’ll return to Scream of the Iron Iconoclast that often.

Official Stinking Lizaveta Website
Official At a Loss Recordings Website

Anyone who gets into this kind of music will also find enjoyment in a band called Zebulon Pike from Minneapolis, MN. Nice review, J.J.

I love these guys, they totally jam and they don't care about ANY kind of scene or genre, unlike so many who profess such independence. Cheshire Agusta hits harder than a lot of hardcore drummers and Yanni is a maniac on guitar. I do agree that a couple of tracks could have been pruned.