Stolen Guitar Alert/Gibson SG

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Anyone in the North Carolina area please be aware that a 2005 Walnut Faded Special has "disappeared" from one of the post office's sorting facilities. Here's a pic of the headstock showing the serial number,

gibsonserialnumber.PNG

I believe it reads,

If you do happen to come across this guitar, please be advised that it is STOLEN PROPERTY and that it would be greatly appreciated if you could contact either myself or the seller.

My eBay ID is: arkamobserver

The seller's is: yclasshydrodriver

Thank you.

Oh man that sucks. I'd be scoping out every employee of that place. Did you buy it and it never showed up?

Oh man that sucks. I'd be scoping out every employee of that place. Did you buy it and it never showed up?

The guitar was shipped through a NC USPS office on May 08, 2013. It disappeared from that facility the same day according to USPS tracking information.

I contacted the post office and got nowhere with the retard staff there. I then opened an investigation with the postal service, which, as of toady, has not been acted upon. I just now filed a complaint with the Post Master General's Office. As to what good that will do, I am under no illusions, but it felt good to submit that complaint against the USPS regardless.

Did you have insurance?

Yes, the seller insured the guitar for its full value.

I also opened a claim with PayPal.

Not worried about getting my money back, as much as I am about not getting the guitar I really wanted.

Also, I think the seller is an idiot. First he ships the guitar through the USPS instead of UPS or Fed-Ex. Then, after the guitar falls off the tracking radar, all he can think to do on his end is to call the post office and ask them if they saw the package. In the meantime, I'm on the phone with PayPal and the postal service initiating investigations, while he's blithely off somewhere twiddling his thumbs.

Do I think the seller was complicit in the guitar's disappearance? Not likely, as he has over 600+ positive eBay with no negative feedback at all. Do I think he's a smart seller? Nope. Anyone who uses the USPS to send anything other than a letter is, imho, just asking to be ripped off.

If you had a preferred method of delivery then perhaps you should have negotiated that before hand. It sucks that your guitar went missing but I think the sellers obligation to the instrument is over just as the transaction is. Perhaps try contacting the police.

If you had a preferred method of delivery then perhaps you should have negotiated that before hand. It sucks that your guitar went missing but I think the sellers obligation to the instrument is over just as the transaction is. Perhaps try contacting the police.

The transaction isn't over, as I have not received my guitar or a refund.

As a counterpoint to this incident I will say that a month ago I sold a guitar to someone on eBay and used UPS to ship. The guitar arrived exactly on the day it was supposed to and in perfect condition. What's more, I didn't spend the money I was paid for the guitar until I had spoken to the buyer and confirmed that he had received the guitar and was happy with his purchase.

Should I have specified that the seller use UPS or Fed-Ex? In hindsight, yes,. But the fact remains that the guitar has gone missing from a USPS facility. That is neither the fault of the seller or my own. Something which the USPS seems to be not overly concerned with atm.

Of course, if the seller didn't send the guitar "on the cheap" then there's a good chance that this mess never would have happened. So yes, the seller, in this case does, imo, still have an obligation due to his cheapness, for which I am now paying the price.

The person that ships is responsible for filing all claims.

I have shipped a shit ton of stuff via USPS and only had to claim one time. It was painless and I actually need out making profit due to upping my insured value.

I will say that ups or FedEx have a much better tracking situation which can be important for things like guitars that are easily identifiable and targets for theft, moreso than other audio or music gear.