Strangest place to find Opeth...

cyanopsis said:
Last tuesday, Peter Lindgren of Opeth featured in Dagens Industri (Industry Today), one of Sweden's biggest financial paper. The title reads "Physicist, big exporter of death metal". The article dealt mostly with the Swedish music export in general, where Opeth was considered a good example. It is said in the article that Deliverance has sold perhaps 5-6000 copies in Sweden compared to 140 000-150 000 worldwide, which makes them quite invisible on the home front. Further down it is said something about Peters background; that he has a BA in literature and a major degree in technical physics with financial mathematics as a speciality.There are two pictures, a recent one of Peter and a classic band photo. The article was a full page.

wow man!, that's what i was talking about!

i knew that Peter was an interesting man, but what you posted makes him even bigger.

:worship:
:headbang:

and please, anyone who knows svenska, please translate the paper please!

if you really want it translated use an online translator, or maybe email that address on the top of the article and ask for a translated version?

cool...
hey, 30's not too old!
i recall seeing lots of books i'd read behind peter in the interviews--i got an inkling then that he was well-read and very intelligent...
maybe one day we end up teaching at some college together...
rock out!

I was thinking...it had to add up. I mean, he's just so quiet and low key that I thought he might be some twisted, demented metal guy that might turn into a potential serial killer. And we all know that most serial killers are nice on their "off time". But now this explains it...he's just too smart for the average metal guy.

Like Euripides said, "The good and the wise lead quiet lives." :)

haha awesome i always knew he was a rocket scientist kinda guy :D

its funny though, i thought i saw in an interview that mikael said the other guys didn't have real jobs... if he has all those qualifications, it couldn't be that hard to get hired somewhere could it?

Hm interesting article, thank you for the interpretation, I only read English, lol.
It is shocking that Opeth only sell 5 to 6, 000 copies in thier homeland. That seems strange. I've read interviews where Opeth have said that they do better internationally as opposed to Sweden.
I can kind of relate to that in terms of musical projects that I've been involved in (not on the huge level of Opeth of course) that sometimes, ironically enough it's harder to be accepted at home.
Is there any reason WHY Opeth sell better in other nations as opposed to Sweden. Is it just the size of Sweden, I dunno :shrugs:
During the last 10 years, alot of great metal hs come from Sweden..

You know? 'The Almighty' talked about it once, If I find that interview I'll post it here.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

deathbearer said:
Hm interesting article, thank you for the interpretation, I only read English, lol.
It is shocking that Opeth only sell 5 to 6, 000 copies in thier homeland. That seems strange. I've read interviews where Opeth have said that they do better internationally as opposed to Sweden.
I can kind of relate to that in terms of musical projects that I've been involved in (not on the huge level of Opeth of course) that sometimes, ironically enough it's harder to be accepted at home.
Is there any reason WHY Opeth sell better in other nations as opposed to Sweden. Is it just the size of Sweden, I dunno :shrugs:
During the last 10 years, alot of great metal hs come from Sweden..

i think that Sweden has a good metal health, but the only interested in metal music are to ones whom are able to form up a metal band (the ones involved in the so called "scene"), and resuming, those guys are buying metal records, in our case, Opeth music, so it's not so strange to think that only those 5 or 6000 people in all Sweden are really into extreme metal, the rest of the youth are involved into the mainstream, fancy cars (as Ihsahn said a long time ago), Mtv, Pop music, and so on, and as we all know, the rest of the population are mainly adults, and it's difficult to find some oldie who are really into extreme metal.

i believe that this can explain (roughly) why Opeth's sales are so low in Sweden, compared to other countries.

Dseven said:
..fancy cars...
porsche_cayenne.jpg
> Opeth

A big factor is probably downloading from the net. In Sweden we dowload music nowadays. I`m sure that`s a big thief making the selling of records in sweden lower.

And the second reason may be as someone mentioned.....we aren`t that many here.

5000 sold albums on 9 000 000 people living in Sweden
150 000 sold albums on 285 000 000 people living in the US ((and around the world to))

See the diffrence....

Well...Cool article anyway.