Strapping Young Lad At The Ventura Theatre

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I saw, for the first time, Strapping Young Lad. It was perhaps the best concert experience of my life.

I went to the concert, seeing people in their metal shirts. My brothers! My last couple of live concerts were more classic rock and it's basically all sorts of people. This felt like I belonged. Underground metal!

And I sat through the first three warm-up bands. I had to. Well...I guess I could've had something to eat then show up fashionably late, but aw hell, who cares. These bands weren't really anything special, sorry to say. Mabye under different circumstances.

Then after those guys came Cathedral. Excellent band. They played a very cool type of doom metal that was really enjoyable. So that makes it even more mind-boggling to think that they were completely blown away by SYL.

Like I said, Cathedral were great. But Strapping Young Lad were just a force. They guys took the stage, and I got my first glimse of Devin...right in front of me. It was spectacular. I saw the man that has made my musical experience so rich this past year. They played "Blame Canada" from South Park, to welcome the band. Nice touch.

They started playing, and the room just about exploded. I could've said that I was right by the speakers (and my left ear is still punished), but I was in the exact same area when Cathedral played. The power was unreal. I could feel Gene's double bass in my chest. The guitars were throbbing. It was awesome.

Devin took the mike. The place wasn't exactly packed, and Devin said "I'd like to thank both of you for coming out tonight...especially you in the front, 'cause you look so damn happy!" Then they played the first half of the new CD. The energy was massive. Forget that they were playing an intimate venue like The Ventura Theatre, half-filled. They played like they were co-headlining the Summer Sanitarium Tour.

He played like a madmad, gazing into the audience with an insane glimmer in his eye. He actually came up in front of me, with the security guard next to me, and glancing at me, made humping motions behind the security guard's head. It was hilarious! He also mooned the audience and uttered obscenities to the audience, but only he can make it funny and welcoming. There was a security guard in front of him, and he was chatting with him for a few seconds. This security guard looked bored and he just kind of rolled his eyes and looked away. At this, Devin said, "The Security Guard just gave me the STINKEYE!!! That's okay...I still have more hair than him!"

Finally, after a blistering set, Devin departed by saying, "Whoever has their arms in the air are cool...whoever doesn't is a..."

Well, you get the picture. :D

What a night! I also bought CITY from the front of the theatre ($15 - no tax...great deal). Hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as the new CD.

Thank you, Strapping Young Lad, for a great, great show. I won't soon forget it.

My friend was also at this concert, and I saw him about a week after and he said that most of the people, like myself, did in fact, leave before Samael took the stage...about 50 or 60 people stayed for them. I sort of feel bad now, but hey...they got paid, regardless.