Strapping Young Lad

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
Okay, the only SYL albums I own are Alien and The New Black. I actually like The New Black, but I think Alien is pretty boring and overrated.

Is it worth getting the rest of SYL's back catalog, or should I just stick with exploring shit like Entombed and Autopsy?

City is Townsend's masterpiece and Alien has its moments. I would try his solo stuff instead like Accelerated Evolution, Terria, and Synchestra. They take awhile to get into but once it clicks...you'll be rewarded. Oh yea, his new one Ziltoid is comical but good.

City is Townsend's masterpiece and Alien has its moments. I would try his solo stuff instead like Accelerated Evolution, Terria, and Synchestra. They take awhile to get into but once it clicks...you'll be rewarded. Oh yea, his new one Ziltoid is comical but good.

I got Synchestra the other day. You're correct, it's taking me a while to get into it, but Vampira is a fucking sweet track.

City is the best SYL record - very powerful stuff.

But the solo work from Townsend really pushes the boundries of musical/metal creativity...sheer brilliance.

Like previous posts....I will say it does take a while to get into it...but if when it clicks, the gratification you'll get from all his solo albums especially infinity, ocean machine, physicist, terria....far surpasses anything youd get from a generic death metal band. the staying power is unbelievable.