Strapping Young Lad...

Episteme

Jul 10, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
Visit site
Is it just me or do other people share the same views as I do on Devin's project Strapping Young Lad? I for one don't think it's really that good and just finding, abit...unoriginal. Just being heavy for the sake of being heavy, and I guess talentless screaming? I don't know, I've got SYL's Japanese version of City and Heavy...Like a Really Heavy Thing(I think that's the name of it), and I've heard a few tracks off their latest album. I like bands like Morbid Angel, Symphony X, pre R2R InFlames, Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Opeth, Death, Decapitated, Hate Eternal, etc... Maybe I'm just not listening to the right songs. Can you people probably suggest a few good songs or share your opinion. The only song I think is not that bad is Detox. Thank you :)

devour, OMFG, and consequence... those are my favorite SYL songs....and of course detox

Yeah. I also downloaded a couple SYL tracks because I heard so many good things about them. But I was disappointed. I don't think they are as good as many people say the are. Sounds like average modern metal to me.

I thought I was the only one who found nothing in their music. People are raving about these guys non-stop. People seem to be Townsend fanatics. I fell asleep during SYL at the New England fest. I don't see the big Extol craze either.

I couldnt disagree more. There are a number of reasons I love SYL- First the wall of intense, and immense sound that SYL does better than any other metal band. Second the amazing drumming of Gene Hoglan. Third, those infectious riffs that I could listen to all day. Fourth I love Devin's singing- it suits the music perfectly.

So, those are the reasons I love SYL, I agree Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing is not too good.

Yet, if one doesnt like them- thats fine- we are all a bit different in our tastes- I just find SYL to be supremely talemnted at creating aggressive and heavy music.

City is incredible, one of the best metal albums of the 90's. Try listening to that one some more and see if it grows on you. The first album I think kind of sucks except for a few tracks, and the new one is decent but nothing really that special. City is awesome though.

Honestly, I hate Townsend and everything I have ever heard by him, SYL or solo. I just find it funny so many people take such offense to someone hating him. Reminds me of the Opeth army... :)