Devin Townsend or Strapping Young Lad for PPVIII?

Thanks to Beyond Ear Candy, I caught on to one if Devin's songs. Does anyone else like his solo stuff or the band Strapping Young Lad?

Dev is on an indefinite hiatus (Gene Hoglan hinting at the possibillity of SYL never getting back together), DTB has already played Prog Power, and SYL wouldn't fit at all.

I'll fix what 3DA said:

Devin's playing daddy to his newborn son. The others are in side-project land for the next year. (Tenet, Zimmer's Hole, The Almighty Punchdrunk)

Devin and Gene HAVE written music for the next direction of whatever project they make (I presume SYL is done, but Physicist maybe reborn)

The DTB is only on hiatus for the sake of Devin and Tracy parenting.

And yes, Ocean Machine's Biomech is one of the 2 greatest albums ever

bwahahaahhahaha.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Borivoj's cut n paste press release HQ is NOT a real news site.

Yeah, something's not clicking with you, is it?

If he cuts and pastes press releases (the following update from Hoglan isn't a press release either. Some knowledge you have...), obviously it's legit since it comes from the people who put OUT the press releases: the publicists. Blabbermouth has NEVER EVER put out false or fabricated info that they didn't later on fix or follow up to. They have far too much noteriety and sponsors now to put up fake news. Plus, who do you think this is? We're talking about metal news, not fucking mainstream media.

Stop being so ignorant just because you're wrong and Devin is done. He's stated in plenty of interviews over the last few months that he is done with music because he has lost his passion and hates his label Century Media.

Yeah, something's not clicking with you, is it?

If he cuts and pastes press releases (the following update from Hoglan isn't a press release either. Some knowledge you have...), obviously it's legit since it comes from the people who put OUT the press releases: the publicists. Blabbermouth has NEVER EVER put out false or fabricated info that they didn't later on fix or follow up to.

You must be a publicist then. If so, kill yourself. Marketers are the worst people on earth.

I think SYL is way better and more adventurous than the solo material, but it's way too heavy and death vocal-y for ProgPower USA. As for the solo stuff... any chance of his band appearing again was pretty much shot down by the lack of a sense of humor of many of the attendees who saw him play last time.

I agree, what is wrong with everyone? His funny sarcastic antics are very silly. And I think his solo material is very prog with a dash of power.
BUT, most of the attendees at this fest want more POWER metal than prog.

Guess there wasn't enough galloping double bass parts and songs about Dragons and Lord of the Rings.

It did appear that Devin went over like a lead balloon. Shame really.

You must be a publicist then. If so, kill yourself. Marketers are the worst people on earth.

Because I state a fact: that since Blabbermouth posts press releases released by publicists, they are therefore legit and should be treated as a credible source- proving you wrong, I am a publicist. Way to go Sherlock!

What are you, 12? Grow up.

Blabbermouth has NEVER EVER put out false or fabricated info that they didn't later on fix or follow up to.

Yeah, because they're too busy posting unconfirmed rumors that end up being false as often as they end up being true.

We all know what Blabbermouth is known for; in fact, why do you think they named it "Blabbermouth"?

Because I state a fact: that since Blabbermouth posts press releases released by publicists, they are therefore legit and should be treated as a credible source- proving you wrong, I am a publicist. Way to go Sherlock!

What are you, 12? Grow up.

Blabbermouth is a credible source? LOL. Whatever.

Yeah, because they're too busy posting unconfirmed rumors that end up being false as often as they end up being true.

We all know what Blabbermouth is known for; in fact, why do you think they named it "Blabbermouth"?

When have they posted an unconfirmed rumor that ended up false? The only ones that come to mind are Ozzfest predictions.

Plus, since when was what I posted a rumor? Last time I checked, an entire piece written by Gene Hoglan isn't a rumor and the several interview snippets of Dev admitting his future plans aren't rumors either. Unless if Blabbermouth made up all the myspace, webzine, and label information that they've been recieving over the years! OH MY GOD it's all a conspiracy!

Even if Devin Townsend is givin it all up, I still wish to see him or SYL again. SYL won't be the same if they continue without him.
But for Progpower I'd probably like to see him solo. More progressive and symphonic. You can't listen to SYL and not want to kill someone and they frown upon that stuff at Progpower. I hope the rumors aren't true and if they are I hope we get to see him one last time.

I didn't "get" Devin or SYL when I first heard them. I still don't get SYL. It's just too fucking noisy for me. But DT's solo stuff I am very impressed with. It took the lastest DTB release Synchestra to convert me. I was several listens in before I finally got a grasp of it; once I did I was in heaven. It's in my top-5 of this year.

Since then I got Terria, and heard Ocean Machine thanks to Pellaz a couple weeks ago. This guy is a brilliant songwriter. If you're not hearing it, you're missing out on something special.

I didn't "get" Devin or SYL when I first heard them. I still don't get SYL. It's just too fucking noisy for me.

You're trying to think too hard about it. SYL *is* all about being as noisy and chaotic and spastic as possible. See, it looks like you get it, you just don't like it (which is fine). But there's nothing mysterious about SYL. Also, if you are still interested in trying to get into SYL, their newest album is their lightest, most accessible, and least spazzy. Not as a whole, but it contains several easily-digestible tracks mixed in with the screamers. (The screamers are pretty easily digestible too, to those who have that taste).

If you wanna hear Dev REALLY make some noise, get a hold of the Devlab record. Some sections of that are just total punishment for the ears. "The solution is easy" BXXXXZZEWRRRRRRWWWWZZAAAAUUGGGGGGGGGSSSSHHHHHSHHSHSHSHZZSZS@#$