Stratovarius - Deep Unknown

I really think if you're gonna look at music that way, then... how do you like any metal bands? You're describing like 90% of heavy metal, not just power metal.

Easy - I don't like heavy metal bands ;)

Outside of prog/power metal I pretty much only care for Megadeth - and with them it's primarily Rust in Peace and Peace Sells (which are the albums where song form is very unique, yet still tied together well). What I like in metal is really not what most people like in metal.

The last Symphony X album had some songs that were just as standard in song form, but I guess you didn't really like Paradise Lost.

i liked it but its probly the weakest. at least PL still had variety and not the same fast drum beat over and over like EVERY SINGLE power metal band besides a select few.

The new album Polaris has some good tracks...only listened once, but it made me revisit Visions, which I listened to a couple years ago but kind of forgot about...it really is pretty good, I'll have pick that up for sure. Other than Visions, what does everyone else recommend from Strato?

Strato has never been a favorite band..but Polaris is fucking amazing..It's heavy and Proggy. They have been releasing shit for the past 3 or 4 albums..I'm glad they changed for this one.

If you like Visions get Destiny, Infinite and now Polaris...I'm not Familiar with the really old stuff.

And the ones in between polaris and infinite are terrible

Stay away from Self-Titled, Elements Part 1 and 2

Strato has never been a favorite band..but Polaris is fucking amazing..It's heavy and Proggy. They have been releasing shit for the past 3 or 4 albums..I'm glad they changed for this one.

If you like Visions get Destiny, Infinite and now Polaris...I'm not Familiar with the really old stuff.

And the ones in between polaris and infinite are terrible

Stay away from Self-Titled, Elements Part 1 and 2

No love for 4th Dimension??? The live double cd Visions of Europe is pretty good if you want a sampling of Strato pre-suckage...

And JesterIF, you really hear a similarity to Romeo in this guys soloing? Interesting, I don't.. really the only similarity I hear is the neo-classical leaning, thats about it. cool.

I dunno, while listening to the first part of the solo, I heard some string skip picking the way Romeo used to do it, but sloppier. That's about it actually.

I dunno, while listening to the first part of the solo, I heard some string skip picking the way Romeo used to do it, but sloppier. That's about it actually.

That`s the way to listen to music. It`s all about the guitarist`s picking technique. :OMG:

I don't hear the sloppiness tbh.

I care a lot about accuracy, especially picking which makes me able to figure out easily when both hands of any guitarist aren't synchronized. This, imo, makes the playing sloppy. I just can't stand it.

And prman, what's wrong about hearing technical similarities between 2 players?

Old Stratovarius was incredible.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExfvKtt0gWU&NR=1[/ame]

Check out Twilight Time and Dreamspace. The best of their works, IMO, brooding, raw and creative. Their debut is boring and their newer albums are forced and cheesy.

^That album is the Siege Perilous of Stratovarius.

^That album is the Siege Perilous of Stratovarius.

A man of good taste, I see!

And you're absolutely right, that sounds great... Haven't really listened anything to pre-Visions stuff. Some bands really did peak after an album or two... Fates Warnings as well, with Awaken the Guardian.

Yeeeees.... but no

Shades of gray, disconnected and that album with monument are all classics but awaken is in a league of its own.

I am a new listener of Stratovarius. Just got the album 'Polaris' yesterday..honestly, it didn't knock me that much. The only song I liked is 'Deep Unknown'.