Stream of Passion - The Flame Within

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Stream of Passion – The Flame Within
Napalm Records - 2009
By Adam McAuley

13709.jpg

I greatly enjoy the amount of emotion that is put forth by Stream of Passion. They manage to try and compete with some of the stronger female fronted bands I’ve heard like The Gathering and Madder Mortem and put up a reasonable fight. The band certainly has the ability make their textures overwhelm you, though perhaps not as well as the aforementioned bands are capable of at times. The vocals of the album are somewhat beautiful and rounded off by reasonably enchanting music that one wishes would be slightly more compelling.

There are a lot of more serene moments to be found as seen from “Run Away” which has a lot of keyboard portions. The music is quite delicate compared to a lot of metal which makes you almost want to consider the band hard rock, but like The Gathering, they manage to make a fairly subdued style quite powerful. The songs actually don’t incorporate a ton of acoustic moments, they just don’t pummel you with an overly intense approach. One hopes the band would sound uninspired by the lighter approach and for the most part they don’t. However, Stream of Passion don’t make your head spin with incredibly over the top moments either, but rather just keep to a pretty even keel.

There’s a cover of Radiohead’s “Street Spirit” that is very well done and surprisingly goes pretty well with the remainder of the work. Stream of Passion has a lot of potential with the melodramatic sound, I just hope they try to push the envelope a little more in the future. Still, The Flame Within is a great album that has its fair share of emotional content. It comes recommended to people looking for a solid female fronted band in the metallic landscape.

Official Stream of Passion Website
Official Stream of Passion My Space
Official Napalm Records Website