Studio kickoff

Oct 29, 2008
Yesterday I had quite a drive up to Top Room with some equipment for Dave to use when he and Øystein starts working today. The trip should have taken about 2,5 hours as I had a detour to pick up some stuff from Hellhammer, due to a blizzard it took me almost 6 hours! Rough norwegian Borkis wheather you could say.

When we finally arrived I got stuck 100m away from the studio on the ice, it was a steep hill and I simply couldn't get the car moving... I had to get Finstad (the tech) to come down with his car on spiked wheels and load the stuff over to his car so I could start backing down the hill.

I'm sure Øystein will have an even better story to tell as he's driving over the mountains from Bergen today, and those roads were all closed last night because of the blizzard...

But the process has started!

Good luck with the recordings!!!...and take care in this xtremme conditions of nordic winter!!

thanks for the update.

I wish I could drive in such a landscape. Jens please keep us updated with how the sound is coming out. And go ahead and tell me no guest vocals from Simen so I can get that silly idea out of my head.

Yesterday I had quite a drive up to Top Room with some equipment for Dave to use when he and Øystein starts working today. The trip should have taken about 2,5 hours as I had a detour to pick up some stuff from Hellhammer, due to a blizzard it took me almost 6 hours! Rough norwegian Borkis wheather you could say.

When we finally arrived I got stuck 100m away from the studio on the ice, it was a steep hill and I simply couldn't get the car moving... I had to get Finstad (the tech) to come down with his car on spiked wheels and load the stuff over to his car so I could start backing down the hill.

I'm sure Øystein will have an even better story to tell as he's driving over the mountains from Bergen today, and those roads were all closed last night because of the blizzard...

But the process has started!

Good luck with everything! :headbang:

When I was going from Stockholm to Oslo there was a big storm on the Norge side. The train had to stop in a middle-of-nowhere station, then we took a bus, and then another train to Oslo. Fun trip indeed :) (and I'm not being sarcastic, I saw lots of Norge country side :) ).

You're really not missing a whole hell of a lot. Blizzards really aren't fun to be in, much less drive in!

True, especially Canadian blizzards :p .

this is great news, finally the recordings start. Just be carefully on that black ice, we don't want any damaged playing hands, or members slipping off the side of epic mountains .

I wish I could drive in such a landscape. Jens please keep us updated with how the sound is coming out. And go ahead and tell me no guest vocals from Simen so I can get that silly idea out of my head.

why??? Its incredibly not fun to drive in a blizzard, especially when you have shit to do and places to go.

Yeah being scared to crash (or have someone crash into you) and having to drive like 25 km/h is not fun at all. Light snow might be nice, annoying to drive in but not as dangerous as a blizzard where you are driving along seeing dozens of cars in the ditches in the side of the road, tractor trailers jackknifed, ambulances, etc all along the highway. I live in Canada, I've driven through many of blizzards, worst one was on the way to see Sonata Arctica in february '07... it was insane and worse that I even described above, how we made it is a miracle... but I would have pulled the fuck over if I was on a mountain fuck that :lol:

Driving in a blizzard with a van full of gear is especially bad, because it has high, broad sides that can easily catch a crosswind... that mixed with black ice = band in ditch, possibly with amps on their heads. I've had more than one close call with that.

If you think driving a vehicle full of gear in a blizzard is a good idea, please consider how shitty Metallica got after Cliff died... in a bus crash... in a blizzard... through the mountains... in Scandinavia.

Blizzards when you're out walking are fucking awesome though.