Interview with Øystein about Empiricism

astarte

Nov 23, 2001
Visit site
I found this in a local magazine, I had to translate the whole thing so it may be a bit confusing at times.... I don't think there's anything new here but... anyway, enjoy.... :)

Borknagar is much more than just the sum of its parts. “Empiricism”, its fifth album, presents the most touching vocalist (Vintersorg, exceptional as always) and the most virtuous bass player (Tyr, he who used to go with Emperor in their tours) that have ever taken part in the band; and, how it happened in “Quintessence”, the only nordic drummer able to fight against Hellhammer’s juggling, speed and strenght (Asgeir Mickelson, from Spiral Architect), and a keyboard player who, though not in the same league, compensates the lack of pyrotechnics with effective simplicity (Lars A. Nedland, “Lazare” from Solefald). Øystein G. Brun still takes the lead with, also guitar player, Jens F. Ryland, but this time they’re both eclipsed by the collective talent of their bandmates. And together they’re dinamite. Vintersorg may not have the versatility of Simen Hestnæs (now in Dimmu Borgir) and the acute laryngitis of Garm in his lycanthropic past, but he sends chills down your spine, serves you glory in a platinum tray and summons tears and adrenalin equally. Definitely the right candidate. “The Olden Domain” still has my vote as the most intense album of the band, but “Empiricism” is a recharge of energy that insinuates an even brighter future. “The Genuine Pulse” competes in the category of “instant classic” along with previous wonders as “Vintervredets Sjedesagn”, “The Winter Way”, “The Dawn Of The End” or “The Presence is Ominous”. Without a doubt it’s the most emotional work, technically complex and maybe the better achieved when it comes to writing and instrumental diversity; a chimera of prodigious melodies and anthologic chorus(es?) that ignores any truce, entangling itself in your nervous system until it roots and refuses to look back…

In Empiricism, Borknagar seems to be a whole new band...
Øystein: The main goal of this album was to try to write the most diverse and varied songs as possible. We wanted to work in detail the extreme parts and the beautiful and melodic parts. As a musician, I’m not interested in creating song that lead only to one path, I think it’s more interesting to try to progress, change the structures and develop deeper music…

Did you acomplish those goals in this new album? Are you satisfied?
Øystein: Definitely. I think it’s a great album. It has great songs and a great production and sound quality. Everybody in the band is very satisfied. It’s the best produced album we’ve recorded until now. We worked for two months in the studio, unlike the previous albums, for which we worked only three or four weeks. This time there weren’t hurries… Everything worked out the way it was intented, and also we could incorporate new instruments, like a Hammond and a grand piano. Besides, I live in Bergen, Vintersorg lives in Sweden and the rest live in Oslo, so we don’t have many chances to rehearse in a month. That’s why I decided to record a demo with the pre-production of the songs and I sent it to the rest of the members. They all contributed their ideas over the phone, and eventually we got together and finished giving form to the material. It’s a very tiring and strange process, but it works…

What exactly made you choose Vintersorg as the new singer?
Øystein: Well, not only he’s an excellent singer, he’s also a great musician who can play an enormous variety of instruments. It’s a pleasure to work with him. We were already friends for a long time, and we kept in contact because we share lots of interests and tastes. In fact, we even thought of doing something together sometime, as a side project… But Vintersorg wasn’t really my first choice for the new singer of Borknagar. When our previous singer (editor’s note: Simen Hestnæs, now in Dimmu Borgir) left the band, we invited him to our rehearsal room just to have some fun and, at the same time, to try the old songs with his voice… There weren’t any compromises or anything like that. But the result was so good we thought it was obvious that he was the perfect candidate. And since that moment we haven’t stopped working and things couldn’t have been better. It was the obvious choice.

How would you compare Vintersorg to Garm (the first singer) and Simen.
Øystein: The three are great vocalists. But Vintersorg is much more absorbed in the music and lyrics, is more dedicated to the band and he takes things more seriously. And also he has a very special talent when it comes to write really amazing lines and vocal melodies. I don’t want to speak badly of the previous members of the band, but I can tell you this is the best line-up we’ve had.

That means Vintersorg is more engaged in all the composition aspects of the band, unlike Garm, for example. I understand his participation was very limited…
Øystein: Yes, in a way it was. Garm wrote lots of lyrics, but he composed them without real feeling. He wasn’t really commited to what he wrote, but he wrote for the sake of writing something, you know? He wasn’t really motivated, he did this for fun. Vintersorg is more dedicated and takes this seriously because he feels this is something serious for him.

It seems like every Borknagar singer stays in the band only for two albums. Do you think Vintersorg is going to be an exception?
Øystein: Yes, I think so. Vintersorg and I are very good friends. It would surprise me very much if something happened between us or between the rest of the band, because honestly we are a great team and we get along really well. There’s no conflicts, and as a matter of fact, we’ve already started writing new material…

In the past, the press always defined Borknagar as a “supergroup”. However, my personal opinion is that this is the first albums that really deserves such title. I mean, today the band not only includes Vintersorg as the new singer, but also Tyr as the new bass player, Asgeir as drummer and Lars as keyboard player. These last two had already participated in “Quintessence”, but is in this album where they all really stand out. Honestly I was really surprised by the instrumental quality of the album. I found it excellent…
Øystein: Thanks. It’s true that they’re all great musicians. Asgeir, for example, is grandiose. I’m not exaggerating when I say he must be one of the best drummers in all Norway. He can play everything: progressive music, jazz, metal… anything. I think the same of Tyr. The rhythmic section of this new album in excellent. Lars is also a genius, and he brings lots of interesting ideas.

What’s your opinion about bands like Solefald or Spiral Architect, whose sound is considerably more experimental?
Øystein: Though they’re not my thing, I think boths bands’ music is great. Again, it’s not something I listen to everyday, but their quality is undeniable.

One characteristic of Borknagar is the inclusion of one instrumental in every album, in fact in the first one there’s a number of similares interludes. Do you plan to keep that, sort of, “trade mark” in the future?
Øystein: Yes, of course. I think it’s positive to have a song that allows you to have a little break between so many fast and aggressive songs. It’s a brief breath that I think contributes to the variety and progression I was talking about earlier.

I found “The Genuine Pulse” fabulous. Which is your favorite of this album?
Øystein: I love “The Genuine Pulse” too, and second “Gods Of My World”, which is really personal. It talks about trying to be your own god and following your own instincts… But I like ALL the songs of this album, really…

What does the title “Empiricism” represent?
Øystein: There’s a ancient philosophical belief that claims that all that a person knows starts from the use of his/her five senses: sight, smell, tact, hearing and taste. We wanted to try and experiment with other senses and transmit that perspective to the listener. It’s like a sixth or even a seventh sense that we try to stimulate with our songs.

When does the idea of creating Borknagar comes up. I know that you used to play in a Death Metal band…
Øystein: It’s true. It was a brutal death metal and very aggressive band. With the passage of time I felt the urge of creating a different and more atmospheric type of music. I’ve always been a big fan of bands like Pink Floyd, that have a deeper sound, more emotional. So it was an easy decision. I made a few phone calls and the band was formed with Garm, Infernus from Gorgoroth and Ivan from Enslaved. The first album was an experiment. I wanted to see how far could I go, and the result exceeded my expectations. I didn’t expect to be where I am now, but I’m glad that it happened…

I have really nice memories of the debut of the band. I think it’s an excellent work for its time, really varied and extremely aggressive… What is your current opinion on that album?
Øystein: I like lots its atmosphere. As you say, it’s a great album for its time, though now there’s lots of things I would have done differently, of course, and in fact there’s several mistakes that were recorded in the album. But I like it. I like all our albums. And we still play some songs from the debut in our concerts.

My favorite album of all the discography of the band is “The Olden Domain”. I think it has an epic and magnificent feeling that you couldn’t repeat…
Øystein: Well, that’s the idea, to not repeat ourselves. I try to progress and write a different album every time. That is one of the biggest problems of the majority of today’s bands: all the albums sounds too alike! I, for instance, would never try to beat what we did for “The Olden Domain”, like I wouldn’t try to beat what we did for “The Archaic Course” either… I try to progress from album to album and avoid repeating the same formulas…

And how would you describe the progression between the first album and the last?
Øystein: Today we’re better musicians and more mature people. During the first album I was about 19 years old and now I’m already 26. I see things from a different perspective. But the musical essence of the band, though it went through a progression, stays intact, and that is something that can be felt in all our albums. It’s our own mark, which we try to expand and take to new directions in each album… It is something like the “Borknagar sound”. It’s always there… from the first album to the last.

Taken from Grinder Magazine.

Yeah thank you very much, astarte :)

I like to quote this:

What does the title “Empiricism” represent?
Øystein: There’s a ancient philosophical belief that claims that all that a person knows starts from the use of his/her five senses: sight, smell, tact, hearing and taste. We wanted to try and experiment with other senses and transmit that perspective to the listener. It’s like a sixth or even a seventh sense that we try to stimulate with our songs.

They did a good work on this!

Wow! That's a LONG interview, in a VERY small
font!! >:eek:P hehehe... Sorry astarte, but my eyes
are hurting! When I get home from work I'll have
to copy/paste the txt into word and make it a
size 16! lol! >:eek:P

But, you've done a great job! You must have a
lot of patience sitting down with that much to
translate! :eek:)

And thanks for the link cinflames!!

Thumbs up, to both of ya! :eek:)

I suppose SHE ain't no man, bleed for me ;) But still, great work! :) Made quite an interesting read, especially sicne I rather seldom cross any text concerning Borknagar :(