EMPIRICISM...My First Borknagar CD

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I am a new Vintersorg fan and having enjoyed such classic CD's as VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR and THE FOCUSING BLUR, I was looking for more. And at the Vintersorg message boards, they recommended that I listen to his other band...Borknagar.
Since it was hard for me to get my hands on Vintersorg CD's, I thought this would be logical. So I bought the album EMPIRICISM...and boy, am I glad I did!

It does have Vintersorg's trademark of beautiful vocals and harrowing screams but the music is quite different. More brutal I would have to say, though Vintersorg's influence is certainly there...lyrically at least. It's a really great CD and I think I will pick up EPIC as well!

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
though Vintersorg's influence is certainly there...lyrically at least. as well!
Well they often write about similar things so I don't think the bands are influenced by one another

If you like Empiricism, then you'll love "Epic". All in all it's a little more complex, a little harder, a little... more "complete", so to say. It's of course one of my favourite Albums this year.

np: Agalloch - The Melancholy Spirit

Every borknagar album is different and has its own feeling, so give them all a chance. Personally I like all 3 of their vocalists, you've heard simen and garm haven't you??

Each Borknagar Vocalist is incredible in their own way. I would feel comfortable saying that you would like Vortex if you enjoy Vintersorg. He doesn't exactly sound the same but they both have excellent clean, powerful voices and have a way of spinning incredible melodic passages. I am a huge Vortex fan (hes about the only reason I even bother with Dimmu Borgir) and Vintersorg (is one of my favorite vocalist of all time). You shouldn't overlook Garm either, I especially like his work with Arcturus.

If you have the two newer Vintersorg albums, I'd also STRONGLY suggest you get Cosmic Genesis as well. It's far and away the best thing he's done. Till Fjalls is also great, though none of it is in English.

I have Epic, but I hanv't had the chance yet to really give it a good listen, though I really enjoyed Empiricism. My favorite Borknagar release though is The Archaic Course. It has Vortex on vocals, showing off his AMAZING voice. The clean parts are breathtaking. Universal has to be among my favorite songs ever. I wasn't a fan of Quintessence, actually. I heard the song Colossus (amazing song as well), and bought the CD thinking the rest will be similar. MISTAKE. I guess that's probably why I don't like it so much; I was expecting something very different.