My First Couple Of Vintersorg CD's

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I was lucky enough to come across a copy of Vintersorg's VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR, and realizing that Vintersorg CD's in California are kind of rare, I picked it up without thinking. And boy, am I sure I did! What a fantastic CD! Filled with spectacular riffs and guitar solos and wonderful harmony vocals. And today I found yet another Vintersorg CD...THE FOCUSING BLUR!!!
I haven't heard it, but if it's anything like VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR, it's going to be one of my favourites.
This wonderful Swedish metal band doesn't get the hype that other great Swedish bands (Opeth, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy) get. But they are as worthy...

I truly think that I have discovered a fantastic band and I thank all of you for your responses when I posted awhile back. And I will continue to look for Vintersorg CD's now that the flame has successfully been lit...:hotjump:

I prefer The Focusing Blur over Visions From the Spiral Generator, it's an extremely excellent album.

After you finish your Vintersorg collection make sure to get his two Borknagar albums, Otyg, Fission when it comes out and of course Havayoth. That should keep you busy. :D

I recently found the Havayoth in an independent record store, it can be hard to track down, but it's good stuff.

Haven't heard the first two albums with Garm, but I much prefer the two Vintersorg releases (Empiricism and Epic) over the other two I've heard which are "The Archaic Course" and "Quintessence" and feature Vortex from Dimmu Borgir and Lamented Souls on vocals. The Archaic Course is good and better than Quintessence and its certainly got some great moments, but Empiricism is probably one of my favorite releases of all time. I'd definitely recommend the last two and probably The Archaic Course as well and then you can see where you stand with the band from there. Quintessence always seemed to me like the middle stage between The Archaic Course and Empiricism and was sort of a mix of the two and it never appealed to me much except "The Presence is Ominous" and "Colossus", where Vortex gets a chance to shine. Anyway, there's my opinion, but I still need to explore the back catalogue more.

the olden domain is their best release IMHO, followed closely by epic and the archaic course, then empiricism, selftitled and finally quintessence wich is the one i like less

Now that we are recommending stuff, get these following albums.

Agalloch - The Mantle and Pale Folklore. :worship:
Of the wand and the moon - Emptiness Emptiness Emptiness. :worship:
Mar de grises - The tatterdemalion express. :worship:
In The Woods - Omnio. :worship:
Blazing Eternity - A world to drown in. :worship:

The first two borknagar albums with garm were quite excelent. I wasnt highly impressed with the archaic course and quintessence personaly. Vortex allways sounded too much like a garm rip off. To me I cant really say what borknagar album I like best since they all evoke completely different imagery. Epic though is great it is (to me anyway) somewhere in between The Olden Domain and Empiricism.