Vintersorg...A 'Musical Genius?'

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I know plenty of the members here would agree, and I've heard these comments before from other sites. That his vocal harmonies are a 'godsend' to music lovers.

Do you think others think he's a genius?

Does he truly rank with say Quorthon or Mikael Akerfeldt?

I have yet to hear the first mini-disc and the three albums prior to VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR and THE FOCUSING BLUR, but from what I've heard from those two CD's (plus the Borknagar CD EMPIRISICM) he is worthy of all accolades.

He ranks up there with Quorthon for me which makes him tops, and he seems like a very smart guy. I definitely think Vintersorg is better than Mikael, Opeth have lost me with the last 3 average at best releases.

I think Mr.V is a true musician&composer in his endless experiments&contradictions - unlike the most part of bands that follow "fashion" and their "own style", Mr.V often tries to explore smth new, change, express his own view of the world...

Vintersorg is truly a genius, I don't mean to sound like a sycophant but when I first heard Comic Genesis a couple years ago it made the same impact on me that listening to In Flames "The Jester Race" did to introduce me to extreme metal. To me, in metal there is one side of the spectrum being raw bands like Darkthrone, etc etc... and the opposite end that has avant-garde type black metal bands like Borknagar, Vintersorg, Therion. I tend to prefer the latter side of the spectrum more.

One thing that I can attest to Vintersorg, he's pretty much the major influence on my band Punctuator, even though we don't really sound anything like him (who could?!). Hopefully he can come to Houston, Texas on a tour someday so we can meet him.

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
I know plenty of the members here would agree, and I've heard these comments before from other sites. That his vocal harmonies are a 'godsend' to music lovers.

Do you think others think he's a genius?

Does he truly rank with say Quorthon or Mikael Akerfeldt?

I have yet to hear the first mini-disc and the three albums prior to VISIONS FROM THE SPIRAL GENERATOR and THE FOCUSING BLUR, but from what I've heard from those two CD's (plus the Borknagar CD EMPIRISICM) he is worthy of all accolades.

i don't think anyone you just mentioned is a genius. agreed, they are talented, but genius gets thrown around to easily. i'd like to see you try to compare vintersorg to mozart. don't get me wrong, i enjoy v's music, but it's not true genius. i wouldn't really call it groundbreaking or revolutionary to the degree that geniuses have done.

Okay, when you start to come up with definitions for the word, then probably you`ll always find arguments against it all.... but when it comes to MOODS, then I must say, there also have been moments (when hearing special parts in V`s music) when I said to myself: "Wow... he`s a genius..."
And besides this everyone thinks different persons as a genius... some maybe think James Hetfield is a genius, others say, only Wagner was a genius... that should be up to each ones OWN definition....

That's exactly how I feel. As far as the mathmatics of music, etc. I don't care because I can't read music and I don't play any instruments, but the sound that comes from Vintersorg and the moods he sets leads me to believe he is infact, musical genius.

but you have to think that the essence of creativity in its purest form is defining the boundary and going past it...what about V's music is revolutionary or earth shattering? it does have its own sound, but it really doesn't stand out a whole lot. not even opeth is that groundbreaking, they do mkae great music but they don't do anything extraordinary...i wouldn't really consider quorthon genius either, as his music was really a product of one genre leading to another.

Yeah, but that 'one genre leading to another' were his creations. He is, after all, considered the founder of black metal as we know it and Viking Metal.

Mikael Akerfeldt and Opeth have also created their own type of music, a genre that has no catagory.

Vintersorg, though mabye not a creator of any genre, certainly has created his own sound unlike anything.

a band having their own sound doesn't make them genius, that just makes it art. and as for quorthon establishing black metal and viking metal, those are just subgenres only fellow metalheads know. to everyone else, metal is metal. genius would be mozart, beethoven, and all them...not only was their music phenomenal, they really established the true importance of music as an art in their time and led to a revolution. musically, genius is hard to come by, even bands like black sabbath, who fathered metal, simply put distortion on blues to start out with, and experimented with some darker sounds. true art can still be found in jazz, as art is pretty much adapting your music and giving it your own personal language, by jazz musicians playing their instrument straight from emotion, regardless of theory's arbitration. and as for the previous metallers you mentioned, v is the furthest from genius, his sound isn't all too distinct, where it may be to us because we are familiar with the genre, but to the average ear it isn't really that unique. not to mention that his music doesn't stray to far from practical structure in music, which genius usually does, breaking the barriers of limit and creating a new language.

I dont consider Vintersorg to be a genius because he makes great music ... that would be like calling me a genuis because I make a Great Hamburger ... He is Good at what he does as I am good at what I do

i think the word genius is used in the wrong context overall when it comes to music. music is somewhat mathematical with formulas etc, however to me music is just pure emotions which is not logical what so ever. we listen to what we like for many reasons but many because it sets and creates a mood for us all. be it rage or passion or happiness to sadness it is still an emotion. genius is more of a scientific term to measure someone's mentality. sure it can be use to coin the creator but when it comes to the music the creator puts out, it is based on the creator's emotions more than his mental state of mind. in other words to put it simply. if you like it go with it. if not there's other shit out there to listen to. these guys are good at what they do so just let it be an accept and as interesting as this forum is, to compare someone's music to genius is really not possible.