circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Subterranean Masquerade – Suspended Animation Dreams
The End Records – TE055 – June 21st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

submasq_sad_cover.jpg

The End Records, I believe, is pushing the boundaries of the term “progressive,” and the evidence rests with acts such as Arcturus, Frantic Bleep, Virgin Black, and Age of Silence. The latest band to blend uncountable styles into one cohesive whole is Subterranean Masquerade. With Suspended Animation Dreams, the guys have proven that they can’t – and won’t – be pigeonholed by the rest of the metal community. Essentially, the aforementioned is a conglomeration of different instruments, vocal styles, and original ideas, which successfully capitalize on a variety of themes. I don’t want to pull the wool over your eyes, though. Suspended Animation Dreams – while great – isn’t as provocative or substantive as most of The End Records’s catalog.

If there’s one song you’ve interacted with, off this release, it’s undoubtedly “No Place Like Home,” which finds its place at the third spot. The opener – “Suspended Animation Dreams” – is a two-minute introduction to the façade that Subterranean Masquerade attempted to sculpt with Temporary Psychotic State EP and are trying to further on their first full-length record. Paul Kuhr (Novembers Doom) helms the vox this time around, and his growls add a much-needed punch to the group’s sound. After all, this whimsical outfit prefers to keep aggression mostly subdued. And, like I said earlier, there are numerous instruments cascading throughout the songs; the strings, however, are a particularly nice touch. Needless to say, there are more contributors on this disc than children molested at the hands of Michael Jackson. “Kind of a Blur,” to shift gears, is simply beautiful, while tracks such as “The Rock N’ Roll Preacher” and “Six Strings to Cover Fear” still retain their edge. Regarding the latter, the beginning is immensely grandiose, reminded me of a reprise more than anything, and is a much-needed kick in the ass as far as heaviness is concerned. The violin dancing in the background at the 2:00 minute mark receives a thumbs-up from me. The fourteen-minute “Awake” runs into the album’s closer in “X.” The last opus is not only fitting, but it boasts greatly rendered, female vocalizations.

As if you couldn’t tell, Subterranean Masquerade have far surpassed their initial output and managed to carve out a place for themselves on the metal map. I’m chagrined to admit that I won’t be listening to this as much as most of the other albums thrust out by The End Records. Nevertheless, Suspended Animation Dreams is vibrant and should quell any unrest about the group’s abilities. Believe me, though, this release is better than most of what’s saturating the mainstream airwaves and shopping carts at Target.

8/10

Official Subterranean Masquerade Website
Official The End Records Website

THE NEW S.M. ALBUM IS A GREAT ADDITION TO THE MEATL WORLD, IN FACT THE MUSICIANSHIP AND EXPERTISE THAT WENT INTO THE ALBUM SHOWS GREATLY. I HAVE BEEN AN AVID FAN OF AGALLOCH, NOVEMBERS DOON, E.L.S., NIOTHING AND MANY OF THE OTHER BANDS THE MEMBERS ARE INVLOVED IN, I FIND THE MOST TRUE ELEMENT TO SUM, MASQ. IS THE ORIGINALITY THAT YOU CAN HEAR. SUPERB ELEMENTS OF METAL, JAZZ, FOLK, AND CLASSICAL ALL MELDED INTO THE MEATL DEMON. FREE FULL LENGTH SONGS ARE AVAILABLE TO HEAR ON THE SUB. MASQ. MYPSACE WEB PARE, HERES THE LINK........

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...file&friendID=13866201&Mytoken=20050706182023

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE CHECK OUT THE BAMDS REAL WEBSITE AT THE FOLLOWING...... HERES THE LINK........
www.submasq.com