Subterranean Masquerade - Tour Diary (Track Review)

PhlegethonVeins

Autopsy Obsessed
May 3, 2005
WI
Subterranean Masquerade - Tour Diary
Independent Release - June 27, 2014
By Jason Wick

In recent news concerning Subterranean Masquerade it has been announced that Kjetil Nordhus of Green Carnation will be providing his vocals to Tomer Pink and crew on the outfit’s forthcoming album The Great Bazaar. Those familiar with his work likely are excited to see how his style will integrate into the band’s sound and play with the bombastic growls of Paul Kuhr. In conjunction with this news the group is moving to push out another single for the album before its release titled Tour Diary, which I have had the pleasure to listen to.

Tour Diary focuses entirely on Kjetil Nordhus within the vocal front and shows us that he has come into the fold quite naturally with Subterranean Masquerade. This track proves to be one of the most straight forward the act has put out to date. Flowing quite fluently from beginning to end, this might be the bands most accessible work. This is not to say it is without its intricacies, however. The pulse of the percussion and bass drives the piece forward steadily as string sections soar on high with Kjetil’s voice. Guitar rhythms are entwined with a delicate piano playing off of each other beautifully. All of this emphasis’s the tracks greatest strength: layers. The details are everything, and prove to give a rather straight forward piece great replay value. Every instrument is thoroughly thought out to support everything else, building up to the songs plateau with natural progression that shines with a notably bright sound.

While this song has shown that Kjetil will fit in quite well with Subterranean Masquerade, it is also a new overall sound for the band. A sound that I am looking forward to getting to know further. Being familiar with Tomer's musical approach I would expect this to be the most 'to the point' song that the upcoming record will offer, so I am curious as to how else they will integrate this new set up pipes come the full length. The Great Bazaar sits on the horizon, and anticipation is reaching critical mass.

Official Subterranean Masquerade Website
Official Subterranean Masquerade Facebook
Subterranean Masquerade Bandcamp