Suggested Books on Recording/Engineering?

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
I'm looking to get more involved in the recording/engineering side of things, and I thought I would buy some books to not only learn from, but also use as good references. What are some books that would would suggest that cover just about everything from recording, mixing, mastering, etc? Thanks in advance!
headbob.gif

A sort of bible would be "modern recording techniques"...If you're a newbie, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing "home recording for dummies"--it's not too technical but is a great introduction to everything....great for reference for instance compression settings etc

Thanks for the input guys...I see the Mixing Engineer's Handbook cited. Wat do you guys think of the Recording Engineer's Handbook and the Mastering Engineer's Handbook form that same series?

Other than the Mixing Engineer's Handbook, I'd have to say Bob Katz's book on mastering(forgot the name). It's an amazing resource, and while some stuff will be over your head the first time you read it, it'll prove immensely helpful in the long run.

Exsanguis said:
Other than the Mixing Engineer's Handbook, I'd have to say Bob Katz's book on mastering(forgot the name). It's an amazing resource, and while some stuff will be over your head the first time you read it, it'll prove immensely helpful in the long run.

It's called Mastering Audio, and yeah, it's a really good book to read. Take your time reading it, as Exsanguis says it can be a handful sometimes the first read.

the complete title is mastering audio - the art and the science by bob katz.
it´s great but as mentioned in the book, it´s for intermediate and avanced users.