SUGGESTION: Newbie Section/New to audio engineering.

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I think a lot of the more experienced guys on the forum are finding it difficult having to sift through all the posts asking basic questions from less experienced engineers. Anyway we could poll/petition a new section for the forum aimed at the newbies who have just joined/lurkers who don't contribute anything? That way anything that gets posted which is a repeat question can just be lifted to that section and I also think it would encourage some people because they'd get better feedback/criticism on their mixing approaches. A lot of the newbies don't really understand basic terminology and i think the temptation from some people on here is to just snub them with one word responses that are meaningless. I think it would benefit me personally as I've still got a lot to learn. It would direct people straight to that section before they post things in the wrong sections.

:)

If you think it's a good idea please suggest an appropriate title for the section, and take it seriously.

I like this idea. I'm fairly new to the engineering/recording world, and would love to have a sort of go to section for all my silly little questions. It may also help as sometimes when I'm lurking here I find there's a lot of useful information, but sometimes it can be quite overwhelming.

So many topics about another sub-forum, all of which end the exact same way, half the community thinking its a great idea, and the other half scared it'll segregate the community into two distinct chunks and nothing ever happens, not even a trial run to see how things go, which would seem like the most logical course of action. *Shrug*

For what it's worth though, I still think it's a good idea.

Good idea,

I think Myself, (and probably a lot of others) would be better able to help and give advice to n00bs if it was contained in one place.

EDIT: basically it's not about segregating the "n00bs" from the "Oldies", but making it easier for n00bs to learn and for oldies to teach in that context.

Thanks guys. Should I start up a poll and see if we get anywhere with it? I thought this thread was going to die yesterday.

Could you guys come up with some name suggestions and i'll maybe put them in a separate poll so that we can find the most 'fitting' title, if the idea gets passed!

p.s

Your sig does look fucking awesome. :headbang: and I agree with your point entirely.

I don´t think we need a section for this, there are enough tutorials for begginerss stickied and many not stickied but in the big compendium Anssi has, plus for very newbish stuff people should go straight to a tutorial website or get a book.

I do think a section for techincal help would be good though, I don´t know if anyone has ever though about it, like a place where everyone will go "wuts rong with me reeeper" and shit like that and than people experienced with the gear/plugin/daw will help the needed loser.

I don´t think we need a section for this, there are enough tutorials for begginerss stickied and many not stickied but in the big compendium Anssi has, plus for very newbish stuff people should go straight to a tutorial website or get a book.

..Why send them somewhere else, when they could just read it here? o_O

This is the bullshit I disagree with. Stickied posts mean nothing on the grander scale of things, and they don't form direct communication on specific examples given by 'The n00b'. Generally they introduce the topic with shit loads of jargon that people don't understand which sometimes renders them useless. You wouldn't need a 'technical thread' if all the n00b stuff was pushed into one section. Don't get me wrong, Anssi's stuff is great he's a really cool guy and he always gives neutral feedback. People get too stuffed up about generalities in mixing these days and just snub those that ask basic questions. That's why it's time we made the answers to these questions available. In one centre. :)

..Why send them somewhere else, when they could just read it here? o_O

This is the bullshit I disagree with. Stickied posts mean nothing on the grander scale of things, and they don't form direct communication on specific examples given by 'The n00b'. Generally they introduce the topic with shit loads of jargon that people don't understand which sometimes renders them useless. You wouldn't need a 'technical thread' if all the n00b stuff was pushed into one section. Don't get me wrong, Anssi's stuff is great he's a really cool guy and he always gives neutral feedback. People get too stuffed up about generalities in mixing these days and just snub those that ask basic questions. That's why it's time we made the answers to these questions available. In one centre. :)

Why read it here if it's NOT here? I sure have learned a lot from this forum, but I didn't learn "wut's a compressor? it do nothing to my guitar tone" here, that I READ somewhere. That is information that does not need to be personal for it does not need to be answered directly to each person that asks it, and is definitely not new or groundbreaking or even interesting to anyone who has cared to learn about this stuff for a week.

You say it's time we made the answers to these questions available, in one centre. They ARE available in a huge list of tutorials, and you could remember this is not the only place in the internetz man, if a guy can spend his whole day browsing the forums he sure as hell can go to any site that is SPECIALIZED in teaching beginners to the basics of Audio production, but many of those people are so lazy nowadays they prefer just go straight to a forum and ask instead of taking the oh-so-painful road of actually LOOKING for an answer on the internet. Just putting "What is tubescreamer and what does work for?" in google will give you a million useful answers, oh wait there's already a tutorial on that right here.

I consider myself a beginner in all this, but when there's something basic I don't know or understand well, I google it first, not go straight to this place which is still my most visited website every single day.

I insist, a tecnichal questions/troubleshooting section on DAWs/plugins/etc. seems like a better idea to me

I think a lot of people google first because they don't want to embarrass themselves on here because of elitist pretenses, rather than jump the gun, risk being shot in the foot and just having the guts to have the confidence to ask it.
But that's what i'm saying, we need to have a section that SPECIALIZES in teaching beginners the VERY basics. Some questions are content specific and will have nothing to do with looking for answers elsewhere, especially beginners mix related questions, of which half of them are. Yeah you get the occassional WHUT IS TACT N WHER CN FIND IT PL0X but you can only get better by doing and then knowing what went wrong. Knowing what went wrong might take a year down the line to realise, most people find it fucking difficult to train their ears it's a hard thing and I definitely needed some hints to hear things I never heard before, going on with my mix. Technical questions/Troubleshooting on DAW's/Plugins should be reserved for the company in the first place, that's just my goto. People are lazy but a lot of people on here are just as lazy but like to talk the talk and can haz elitist.

Seem's like nobody is bothered anyway.

personally id like a newbie section just so i dont have to sift through so many pod and slate mixes on the rate my mix forum just to find topics where people have used an actual fucking amp

feel free to call me an elitist asshole but there has to be at least one so it might as well be me

There's a difference between being an elitist asshole and just being honest so don't worry man :).

OT but when in the OT section, I want the Uberschall so fucking bad!!!!!!!!