Suggestions for pre-performance jitters?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I know this is off-topic, but I wanted to open this up to everyone that may not click on the ot tavern.

Does anyone have suggestions for pre-performance jitters?

Here's the situation:

My old cover-band has recently been hired to play for a 4th of July celebration. Their keyboardist has backed out, and they needed someone to fill the void both with keys and backup rhythm guitar.... so they called me. I'm used to playing gigs with a couple hundred people or so, but since this is an event sponsored by two big cities here in AZ, they're expecting anywhere between 10,000 and 15,000 people. Has anyone (aside from Sneap and Murphy) here ever played in front of that many people? If so, how did you handle it? What was it like?

On top of that, since I haven't played with them since 2003 basically, I have to learn all of the cover songs (about 15) before next week's rehearsal.

I know this is a great opportunity for exposure, but shit.... so many people. I'm gonna vomit. :ill:

I'm thinking I should wear sunglasses on stage like Satriani and pretend the crowd doesn't exist. :lol:

My maximum was about 3600, which is way less than you're going to be in front of. What I noticed was at that number (which was over 10 times what I was used to), I was actually considerably less nervous than I had ever been. Of course, that was once we started playing. Before the show, I was pretty nervous.

My maximum was about 3600, which is way less than you're going to be in front of. What I noticed was at that number (which was over 10 times what I was used to), I was actually considerably less nervous than I had ever been. Of course, that was once we started playing. Before the show, I was pretty nervous.

Yeah, I was wondering if the larger the crowd, the easier it is to handle because they all seem to be a blur at that point.

Biggest crowd I had was 1000. I feel more nervous in front of 5 people then a 1000. So I guess the same would apply to a bigger number, say 15000.
Pre-performance jitters, makes you feel alive, doesn't it?! ;)

I did 17k people without our vocalist/key player...
Using playback keys from an unstable laptop playing to a click we'd never played to before, a polish guy miming keys but we couldn't let the sound guys know... I said the Keys were triggering VST in the laptop :lol:!
Oh, i had to do vox and got on stage and realised i had never actually paid any attention to the lyrics in Alestorm in all my time (founding member!)...
AND on stage, the soundguy only gave me the little prick of a basisst's shit backing vox in my monitor!

Oh, and the amp kept dying so i was without lyrics and a guitar :D

AIR GUITAR! :D

Point is, we got through it and still scored an 8/10 review :lol:!

Jump backstage, hop around, get moving before you play. It really helps me and my band out.

I played a couple times for about 5k people...much better than playing in front of 20. Just have fun and the jitters will go away quick :)