Suhr Modern vs PRS Custom 24 vs Ernie Ball Music Man JPXI

Which of these three guitars did you prefer?

• The 1st guitar being played through all three amps

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • The 2nd guitar being played through all three amps

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • The 3rd guitar being played through all three amps

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Wow I am definitely surprised by that PRS pickup. Listening to the cleans you can hear that 2 and 3 have this airyness to them and the PRS sounds tighter more in your face. It sounds like the sound I associate with a ceramic magnet, is it? I wouldn't have expected something that tight from a PRS pickup. I usually associated PRS guitars with fat, loose rock sounds but, I was wrong. Sell that EBMM and keep that PRS forever, hahah.

KNEW I had the PRS pinned. That sound is smothered all over early 00's nu metal. Helps that I had the navarro for a few weeks as well lol. Thats definitely a great recording guitar.

I do love PRS pickups too. My mate has a custom 24 with a replaced bridge pup, cant remember the model but it screams like a bitch Not sure how they'd go down in other guitars though.

I'm tracking '96 Custom 24 with a JB in the bridge. Great recording guitar. Scale leaves a little something to be desired, but nothing's perfect. Something about the tone of those guitars is very dear. As soon as you bust into a lead it's got that instant singing Opeth factor.

Something in my head tells me not to even change the PRS pickups. It feels like buying a Ferrari and changing in a Porsche engine. Simply screams "wrong" in my head. :D Ofcourse better is always better. The JB is like the SM57 of guitar pickups.

Wow I am definitely surprised by that PRS pickup. Listening to the cleans you can hear that 2 and 3 have this airyness to them and the PRS sounds tighter more in your face. It sounds like the sound I associate with a ceramic magnet, is it? I wouldn't have expected something that tight from a PRS pickup. I usually associated PRS guitars with fat, loose rock sounds but, I was wrong. Sell that EBMM and keep that PRS forever, hahah.

I actually have had this "fat loose" problem with some PRS guitars and it's all about pickup height. Close to the strings they are a bit over the top. Lower them way down (is how I have them) and you get that shimmering clean tone with a huge bottom end.

EBMM is getting switched for this one of a kind guitar btw: http://www.mayones.com/en/custom_shop_gallery/regius_6_claro_walnut_en

KNEW I had the PRS pinned. That sound is smothered all over early 00's nu metal. Helps that I had the navarro for a few weeks as well lol. Thats definitely a great recording guitar.

I do love PRS pickups too. My mate has a custom 24 with a replaced bridge pup, cant remember the model but it screams like a bitch Not sure how they'd go down in other guitars though.

Haha... my friend is also a PRS fanatic and he could tell right away which was the PRS.

Thanks for the shootout! My order of preference was 1 then 3 and finally 2 although i think they ALL sound good.

I am surprised i liked the PRS that much though; never given these guitars much thought to be honest (but thats mostly cause they dont have a 7 production model ahah)

Oh and Clark spill the beans: the strings on the EBMM they were old werent they? i still liked the sound of that guitar but the strings sounded dead to me. M i right or do my ears just suck? (wouldnt be surprised if its the latter haha)

wow, wouldnt have thought that suhr makes guitars that bright

I think Lasse did a comparision of the prs pickup vs sh4 vs aftermath in his prs

Oh and Clark spill the beans: the strings on the EBMM they were old werent they? i still liked the sound of that guitar but the strings sounded dead to me. M i right or do my ears just suck? (wouldnt be surprised if its the latter haha)

All of the guitars have Ernie Ball strings. The Suhr has a slightly heavier gauge although it sounds like the opposite. JPXI strings are probably 1-2 months old. PRS strings are like a month old. Suhr strings... I don't know, not my guitar.

I actually have had this "fat loose" problem with some PRS guitars and it's all about pickup height. Close to the strings they are a bit over the top. Lower them way down (is how I have them) and you get that shimmering clean tone with a huge bottom end.

Interesting post actually, i've been lowering all my pickups recently. I realised I was killing what little dynamic I had available with distorted electric guitar especially. Im not sure how that matters for EMG's but for most of my passives now they are getting dialled way back.

All of the guitars have Ernie Ball strings. The Suhr has a slightly heavier gauge although it sounds like the opposite. JPXI strings are probably 1-2 months old. PRS strings are like a month old. Suhr strings... I don't know, not my guitar.

interesting.. if that is the case then my order of preference is 1-2-3. I dont like overly dark or bright guitars but i heard something a bit dull in the 3rd clip which is why i asked about the strings.

Either way theyre all nice guitars, thanks again!

Interesting post actually, i've been lowering all my pickups recently. I realised I was killing what little dynamic I had available with distorted electric guitar especially. Im not sure how that matters for EMG's but for most of my passives now they are getting dialled way back.

strange, i recently did the same thing ;-)

anyways, OT: that prs sure has a nice tone, but the suhr just has a little something that would compliment my style really well. the higher mids are really present which should work out great in a live situation, plus it's tight as a virgin....and those cleans :worship:

i wonder if the "lower end" suhrs are anywhere in the same league? e.g. http://www.thomann.de/de/suhr_rasmus_modern_m_200_bm.htm