Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Suidakra - Caledonia
Armageddon Music – November 17, 2006
By Rodrigo Escandon

caledonia.jpg

Frankly, I don’t think I was alone in being completely disappointed with Suidakra’s last album Command to Charge. With that album, the folk influences all but disappeared and the band instead became a run-of-the-mill melodic death metal band. There was nothing to distinguish them from the rest of the pack and I wondered if that album would be the beginning of the end for a great band that never was able to get more recognition. Luckily for all of us, Suidakra has scrapped the ideas from Command to Charge and with Caledonia they have gone back to their brand of death metal joined by traditional folk influences and addicting harmonies. If that wasn’t enough, long-time guitarist Marcel Schoenen rejoined the band and thus Suidakra is back to their Emprise to Avalon and Signs for the Fallen line-up.

Caledonia tells the story of the Picts, natives of ancient Scotland, and their war against the Roman Empire. “Caledonia” is what the Romans called Scotland and the story is really quite engaging with the band presenting both sides of the story and what happened when these two different worlds collided. “Highland Hills” gets the album started with the sound of bagpipes, acoustic guitars and Marcel’s clean singing and soon the electric guitars and Arkadius’s grunts take charge and the song becomes an excellent example of the bands traditional sound and you immediately get the feeling that Suikdakra is definitely back to their old ways. “A Blackened Shield” follows and this is one is completely fast-paced and totally energetic, a great head banging song. “The Ember Deid (Part II)” and the instrumental “Ramble” are two examples of slow, melancholic, folk songs that do well in changing the pace of the album. “Drawing the Tempest” features more bagpipes, Lars’s great double bass drumming from and some excellent bass lines from Marcus. “The Distant Call” is a huge favorite of mine since it is so damn catchy and addictive. It’s got electric guitars playing the melodies and acoustic guitars playing the rhythm section and I also have to point out that that the chorus is so damn good! The last song I want to focus on is “The IXth Legion” which is the first song that Suidakra does a video for and this one has the same feeling of songs like “Highland Hills” and “Drawing the Tempest” but it definitely has more fast-paced sections. Definitely take the time to check it out at Suidakra’s website.

Caledonia is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of 2006 and I highly recommend that everyone checks it out. Caledonia is everything one would expect from Suidakra and it would be a shame if people miss out on it because this could be their finest album.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Suidakra Official Website
Armageddon Music Official Website