SUM-41 To Sound Like METALLICA On The Next Album

\m/

I Die Slowly
I thought this was funny

SUM-41 To Sound Like METALLICA On The Next Album - Aug. 29, 2003
Canadian punk-pop combo SUM 41 recently told Rolling Stone magazine that their follow-up to 2002's "Does This Look Infected", which the group will start writing next month in their hometown of Toronto, will be a more guitar-heavy affair than was the case in the past.
"It's going to be more metal-ish," bassist Cone McCaslin said. "More of a [METALLICA] 'Master of Puppets' thing, but Deryck Whibley can't sing like James Hetfield, so there's going to be a lot of choruses. Like 'Still Waiting' [from 'Infected'] — heavy verses and melodic choruses. I don't think there's going to be too many pop songs."
The band will polish songs throughout the fall and hit the studio with producer/manager Greig Nori in February. A summer 2004 release is expected.

Uhh that album is out. Its not fn metal at all. Load is more metal. Metallicas cover of tuesday's gone is more metal than cum 41. I can listen to cum 41 if im really in a cheery mood,. I have to be on top of the world. Then their cool. Some cool vids. But wtf. their supposed metal fans. But they play pop punk.

iAMtheblackwizards said:
NO man, they didnt say they were writing that album, they said they were writing a followup to that particular album. And this just proves my original theory that sum41 would use pop punk to get a huge fan base and then go metal.

I was talking to a friend a while back about this theory too.
We both agreed that Blink 41 would get heavier as they got older.
Unfortunately, they'll probably go the NUMETAL route & that's just about on it's last legs...
I'm not a fan & I doubt I will ever be, they seem to have Anthrax & Kerry King convinced that they have something goin' on.
Remember when those little bastards where on the MTV special with Halford? He said they were the future of metal?! That was very disturbing.

Nowadays, but they mention Master of Puppets era Metallica, not New Metallica. I'm not saying it's not gonna suck, but still.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Uhh that album is out. Its not fn metal at all. Load is more metal. Metallicas cover of tuesday's gone is more metal than cum 41. I can listen to cum 41 if im really in a cheery mood,. I have to be on top of the world. Then their cool. Some cool vids. But wtf. their supposed metal fans. But they play pop punk.

But aren't Metallica supposed to be metal fans? And yet St Anger is nu-metal....? :Smug:

oh im sorry. when did not having solos make something nu metal? You dumb fuck you must be 14 yrs old 15. tops. Stop listening to everyone elses views. Form your own. (This is directed to "takingtheminoraback"

Sum 41 can actual play pretty well. I am not a huge fan but I do think they talented. They love all the hard shit too. that is where their influences are. I hope they do good on their upcoming album

Well if they do a good job of sounding like Master of Puppets era Metallica kudo's to them. That said I am somewhat dubious about it.

Cheers

I'm skeptical, but I'll give them a chance.

If they make anything remotely close to Metallica's MoP, I'll be impressed. They played on the MTV Icon and were very impressive (considering that I loathe pop-punk with all my heart).. My jaw dropped when I learned that the opening band was Sum 41... I mean, they've been around for a while now on the MTV music scene - probably was enough to learn how to play their instruments..

The only real (by that I mean traditional) metal band that most MTV-watchers know is Metallica.. That's why they're the "standard" for metal even though they stopped making it back in '96 - arguably in '91..

good stuff. i'll download it when it comes out for sure. i'm not a big pop punk fan but i think those guys have some talent

well....personally i can't stand pop/punk. i'll take mallcore over that shit anyday. I live in San Diego and all you hear here is pop/punk. But with that said, i think SUM 41 are the most talented band from that piss-soaked hell hole known as pop/punk and i respect them a bit, because their love of metal seems very genuine and hey, if they can pull off a decent metal album, i'll buy it. if it's good it's good. I will not hold them on the fact that they have played god aweful pop/punk, if this one is good, i'll buy it.

I think they are into Slayer, but thats quite obviously....

maybe the in their new album there will be some trashy riffs and that will be it