Summer = hardware

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
:heh:

The stuff:

24" NEC Multisync 2470 WNX (PVA-panel, 1920 x 1200 native)
HP 8710p laptop (Intel C2D T9300 2.5 GHz, 2GB DDR2-667, Nvidia Quadro NVS 320M (aka 8700 GT), 250 GB SATA)
Sapphire Radeon HD4870
Arctic Cooling S1 Rev. 2 + Turbo module (didn't use this thing though :p the stock cooler isn't that loud)
Belkin Firewire (Texas Instruments chip) card for the laptop
Belkin FW cable
Asus WL-138g WLAN PCI card
Kingston 4 GB USB-stick

laitteet-0.jpg

laitteet-1.jpg

laitteet-2.jpg

laitteet-3.jpg

laitteet-4.jpg

laitteet-5.jpg

laitteet-6.jpg

Wheee... :headbang:

Finally installed Cubase last evening after OS reinstall and that additional space really comes in handy, especially with VST-instruments :worship: Haven't had the chance to test the laptop for mobile recording yet, but soon I hope :)

haha, my first reaction is just...oooooo.... nice gear! You can't beat New Computer day, it feels like the heart of your recording rig got a huge injection of awesomeness.

That looks like one hell of a graphics card. Cubase must look awesome with 8 X Anti-aliasing and 16 X Anisotropic (sp?) Filtering at 100,000,000 frames per second. :p

On the serious side, nice gear. :)

Cubase must look awesome with 8 X Anti-aliasing and 16 X Anisotropic (sp?) Filtering at 100,000,000 frames per second. :p

Hahahahaha, seriously - that's why I stick to my PS3 + XBOX 360 + 32" Toshiba LCD HDTV for my gaming needs. :heh: But then again, Tornio, you do video/visual work, don't you? So I can see how the graphics card would help for that as well. And speaking of which, I remember you denouncing LCD's awhile ago for their color inaccuracies; what changed your mind?

And what, praytell, does "media endorsed" mean? I sense another hysterically nonsensical mis-translation :lol:

Haha I love how graphics cards these days are powerful enough on their own that they are actually another computer inside a computer.... Kinda just seems ridiculous to me. You could probably run Windows off of the graphics card alone :)

Haha I love how graphics cards these days are powerful enough on their own that they are actually another computer inside a computer.... Kinda just seems ridiculous to me. You could probably run Windows off of the graphics card alone :)

Especially because you need something that powerful just to match the graphics of the 360/PS3 versions of games, which always struck me as thoroughly absurd - the only advantage PC gamers have graphically is resolution, but 1080p is just fine with me, and the amount of money you have to fucking fork over to get your PC to look better than a console is just ridonculous. :zombie: To say nothing of all that power consumption, you environment-killer! :heh:

But then again, Tornio, you do video/visual work, don't you?

Yeah.

So I can see how the graphics card would help for that as well. And speaking of which, I remember you denouncing LCD's awhile ago for their color inaccuracies; what changed your mind?

LCDs with TN-panels ;) PVA and IPS panels are fine for graphical work, but IPS is not so good for gaming due to the slow response (usually around 15 - 25 ms). PVA is kind of the middle ground, but without the two most severe weaknesses of TN-panels: poor colours and low viewing angles. The downside is that they come from La Costa Lotta :erk:

And what, praytell, does "media endorsed" mean? I sense another hysterically nonsensical mis-translation :lol:

I have no damn idea :lol: It reminds me of Asus' BIOS texts - they seem like a bunch of "something close to the intended meaning" words strung together :lol:

the only advantage PC gamers have graphically is resolution

...and game selection (past, present & future), better controls (especially for FPS games), universal compatibility (no separate consoles required for different games), upgradeability, saving/editing, MODDING (especially RPG games, and sometimes FPS games, take on a whole new life with mods), you can do a lot more things with the same machine than just gaming...

:)

Computer graphics will always be ahead of consoles since they evolve so damn quick. There are games on the market that you can't run full graphics on because the video cards don't exist yet.

Fucking blows my mind MANG!!!

:lol:

That said I'm a Wii owner. But if they go up again like they did last X-mas season I am selling that shit real quick.

And I notice Zyklon's "Aeon" on your shelf as well, very nice :headbang:

...and game selection (past, present & future), better controls (especially for FPS games), universal compatibility (no separate consoles required for different games), upgradeability, saving/editing, MODDING (especially RPG games, and sometimes FPS games, take on a whole new life with mods), you can do a lot more things with the same machine than just gaming...

:)

Past and present maybe, but I tend to think PC-exclusives are a dying breed these days (Crytek just abandoned it, for example); I admit a mouse is better for aiming, but I actually prefer a controller anyway cuz all the buttons are within easy reach, rather than having to feel around in a sea of keys for the right one to crouch, reload, throw grenades, etc.; almost all games are available on both systems (and their exclusives aren't on PC, so it's not quite universal compatibility ;)); with consoles, you don't need to upgrade; saving, I admit, is better, but now that consoles have HDD's, game makers finally are waking up to the beauty that is the quick-save; Modding/mods don't interest me in the least; and you can use the money saved by buying a PC without a high fallutin' graphics card (to do "a lot more things with the same machine") to buy a console. :D

Plus, I would just much rather play games on a big-screen TV, relaxing on my couch with a controller in my lap, than sitting in an office chair at my computer looking at a monitor. But that's my take on all this, anyway, and I certainly don't wanna start a fanboy bloodbath! :heh:

Plus, I would just much rather play games on a big-screen TV, relaxing on my couch with a controller in my lap, than sitting in an office chair at my computer looking at a monitor. But that's my take on all this, anyway, and I certainly don't wanna start a fanboy bloodbath! :heh:

You know you can do all that with a PC, right? I play games/watch DVD's all the time with my laptop hooked up to the big screen.... Looks very nice into an LCD tv!

:kickass: i love my necs', they are awesome monitors, i do a lot of video+photo production besides audio production so i need that awesome pva sexiness.

What games you planning on running with that beast?

Besides the old classics which I still play (TESIII: Morrowind, Fallout/2, Carmageddon, Heroes II/III, Need for Speed 1-5, Diablo, Grim Fandango, etc), these recent games:

Stalker + Clear Sky
TESIV: Oblivion
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Fallout 3 (preordered)
Trackmania United
Flatout Ultimate Carnage
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
Duke Nukem Forever.. :lol:

Dude...GET MASS EFFECT. Christ what a masterpiece...

You know you can do all that with a PC, right? I play games/watch DVD's all the time with my laptop hooked up to the big screen.... Looks very nice into an LCD tv!

Haha, well if you like the idea of having a wireless keyboard on your lap with a mouse next to it, then yeah, that'd work... :D