Super cheap drum mic kit

Jan 25, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There is this cheapo chinese compnay called OSP that has a 7 piece drum micing kit for dirt cheap that its tempting me pretty badly right now. From the video on the ebay page they seem decent but I don't trust it. Have any of you guys had any experience with these mics ? http://cgi.ebay.com/OSP-DK-7-DRUM-MICROPHONE-KIT-W-CASE-7-MICS_W0QQitemZ370089474174QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370089474174&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A2|240%3A1318

You can score the set for 150 from a different store but I gave you guys this one because there's a video on the page demonstrating the mics.

for 150 I'd rather get one D", or 1 sm57, or 1 906 or something...
then get more stuff later.

Mics are really important for a good drumsound IMO and you won't get the desired results with those mics I guess.

YMMV but I'm just fucking anal when it comes to drumsounds I'm moving mics for hours to find the right spot etc...I'd definiely recommend to save a bit and get something decent

Thanks for the input, I figured people were going to say that. I am just impatient and want to record drums now. Maybe I will get a decent pair of overheads instead and try to use my shitty samson mics and my 57 to get triggerable sounds until i can afford better mics. What would you recommend for overheads in the range of 150-200 ?

I started on cheapos and gradually replaced with better mics. Not a bad thing to do, just make sure the mics aren't going to break on you before you get better ones.

I still haven't replaced my Samson kick mic. :lol:

Personally I'd invest in a set of nice overheads and a D6 for the kick. Three mics that will gradually help you learn the fundamentals whilst still offering a usable sound.

I've had the displeasure of working with some of these chinese knockoffs when I've been doing live sound. I can sum them up with that they all sound AWFUL. They may look like Shure mics or - like the latest copies I saw - Audix mics, but they sound NOTHING like them and I can without a shadow of doubt say that are a complete waste of money.

I even bought a cheap copy once upon a time, something trying to resemble a Beta52, and the guy at the store told me that they had had several customers that had said that it sounded "even better than the original". Why do they even bother with that crap? I used it but I can't say it ever sounded good. Eventually I bought a real Beta52. Well, I should make an A/B test for you guys just for laughs, I'll see if I have some minutes over for it later today.

I'd say you get the same quality from some random $10 mic at radio shack. It just doesn't look as fancy.

Edit: forgot to mention: the bass drum mic in the kit you linked to is exactly the same as the one I have. I'd bet my jugular vein that it's the same mic just with a different name.

If you are on a budget, KARMA mics (www.karmaaudio.com) have a set of 'drum mics' that are compact condenser mics, 7 of them come in a kit for like $79. Problem is, they charge $25 to ship them...either way, you get 7 mics for $104. NILE listed Karma in the equipment they used, so I looked them up...though they don't say *what* mics they use from this company. Worth checking out, I guess.

If you are on a budget, KARMA mics (www.karmaaudio.com) have a set of 'drum mics' that are compact condenser mics, 7 of them come in a kit for like $79. Problem is, they charge $25 to ship them...either way, you get 7 mics for $104. NILE listed Karma in the equipment they used, so I looked them up...though they don't say *what* mics they use from this company. Worth checking out, I guess.

I'm glad you posted this, I knew there was some other cheap company that was supposedly good, but couldn't remember the name!

I've also read good things about Red5 - http://www.red5audio.com/
(star wars reference!!??!)

for a cheapish drum kit mic set, you cant go far wrong with the samson q kit, the kick drum mic sounds very similar to a D6
yeah for a first set I agree...i have the Samson drum kit 8 but i have slowly replaced it with D6, beta 52 for floor tom and 57s for snares and rack toms. but the mic set from the OP don't sound bad at all for a first set.