Superior - Behind

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I came across this CD the other day in a used CD/Book store in Johnson City. Honestly, I had never heard of the band and probably wouldn't have looked it up on Amazon if I hadn't recognized the label that released the CD. It's from 96, a few years before I began exploring the genre. Anyway, I thought what the heck, so I bought it. I actually think the disc is quiet good and I especially like the lead vocalist! I'm sure there are some of you that are familiar with Superior, so can you give those of us that aren't some insight?

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
They were a pretty big deal in prog metal circles in the late 90s/early 2000s, big enough to open ProgPower 2.0 even. Their 2nd album, Younique is more modern sounding as was considered a bit of a disappointment. They bounced back on the 3rd though, Ultima Ratio, a concept album that drew some Mindcrime comparisons. I want to say there was talk of a 4th album but the band split and hasn't been heard from in a while.

They were a pretty big deal in prog metal circles in the late 90s/early 2000s, big enough to open ProgPower 2.0 even. Their 2nd album, Younique is more modern sounding as was considered a bit of a disappointment. They bounced back on the 3rd though, Ultima Ratio, a concept album that drew some Mindcrime comparisons. I want to say there was talk of a 4th album but the band split and hasn't been heard from in a while.

That's wild...I didn't realize that they had played ProgPower in the early days.

~Brian~

This is definitely one of the early flag bearers of the genre, along with bands like Threshold and Vanden Plas. "Ultima Ratio" is probably their best, but all three albums are nothing short of excellent. "Younique" does have a more modern sound, but it works really well.

All three come HIGHLY recommended. They also have a double live CD that is worth picking up.

You stumbled on a classic of the genre, and one of my earlier introductions to the more "underground" progmetal. Still love this disc, and may have to pull it out again soon just because you mentioned it!

As Sir Exar said, all of their output is worth owning, especially if you like the first one off a blind buy!

Congrats on discovering one of the earlier and better "not DT" progmetal bands.

One of a handful of discs that turned me into a fan of the genre. Listening again; still timeless after 15+ years. Ice is their way.

Really they were an underrated band. Personally, I loved all of their albums, and I was glad to be able to see them live, tho I wish it was a longer slot than the opening one that they got. It is too bad they couldn't hold it together.

This is definitely one of the early flag bearers of the genre, along with bands like Threshold and Vanden Plas. "Ultima Ratio" is probably their best, but all three albums are nothing short of excellent. "Younique" does have a more modern sound, but it works really well.

All three come HIGHLY recommended. They also have a double live CD that is worth picking up.

I'll attempt to track those down for sure!

You stumbled on a classic of the genre, and one of my earlier introductions to the more "underground" progmetal. Still love this disc, and may have to pull it out again soon just because you mentioned it!

As Sir Exar said, all of their output is worth owning, especially if you like the first one off a blind buy!

Congrats on discovering one of the earlier and better "not DT" progmetal bands.

Thanks!

I've heard more than one person say things like this, but Younique is by far my favorite disc by them. Absolutely brilliant disc, and far more progressive than the other two, IMHO. Also has my favorite song by them, called "Nothing."

Craig

Still wear my "Behind" shirt :kickass:

One of a handful of discs that turned me into a fan of the genre. Listening again; still timeless after 15+ years. Ice is their way.

Really they were an underrated band. Personally, I loved all of their albums, and I was glad to be able to see them live, tho I wish it was a longer slot than the opening one that they got. It is too bad they couldn't hold it together.

I might be way off base by saying this, but my initial thought was, if this was released in 2012 our community would love it! I'm really digging the vocalist, crunch, drums, and just overall production.

~Brian~

Also has my favorite song by them, called "Nothing."

Also "God's Funeral". I even splurged when this came out and ordered the Jap import, as it contains an acoustic version of "Why" with Andre Matos on vocals. Worth every penny.

Also "God's Funeral". I even splurged when this came out and ordered the Jap import, as it contains an acoustic version of "Why" with Andre Matos on vocals. Worth every penny.

Yep, that's another good one. I also bought the Japanese import, and agree, well worth it. I think the acoustic of "Why" is far better than the original (which I also like). My other fave from that disc is "Detect: Myself"...I thought it was pretty weird at first, but it really, really grew on me.

Yep, that's another good one. I also bought the Japanese import, and agree, well worth it. I think the acoustic of "Why" is far better than the original (which I also like). My other fave from that disc is "Detect: Myself"...I thought it was pretty weird at first, but it really, really grew on me.

Detect: Myself is one of my fav tunes of theirs ever. The Pink Floydish sax att he beginning, the slow pace moving into the crunch when the guitars come in...... LOVE IT

If it was the early 90s, you discovered Dream Theater and wanted more prog metal, SUPERIOR was usually the next name you ran across. Love everything they did (Younique in particular) and was lucky enough to catch them back in 2001 at PP II.

Damn shame they had to call it a day as a band....... I was in touch with the keyboardist for a while back in the day - super nice guy (I actually won some contest they had when deciding tracks for the LIVE double album and got a mention in the album liner notes for it lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the title of this thread and all I could think was...

4193743105_8e03e0fbc0_o.jpg

Digging the track, though!

*sigh* this thread makes me feel old. I remember when these guys were current and new... and now here we are talking about them like golden oldies being dusted off from the sands of time...

NP: Superior - Behind :)

I've heard more than one person say things like this, but Younique is by far my favorite disc by them. Absolutely brilliant disc, and far more progressive than the other two, IMHO. Also has my favorite song by them, called "Nothing."

Craig

^^THIS^^

Will we see you in Atlanta again this year, Craig?

And for the record, I like Younique just fine (though I'd probably rank it 3rd among their releases), I was just relating what I took as the general consensus at the time of its release. Sounds like the years have been kind to it and its grown on people.

COOL! We actually have copies of "Younique" and "Behind" new in Japanese versions at Progpower this Friday! We also have quite a few copies of their 3rd and final release, "Ultima Ratio" in digi format as well for this Friday's show. We say "THIS FRIDAY'S SHOW" at Progpower because we doubt they will be around after that first night of buying frenzy!