MORGANA LEFAY - I need guidance!

I finally got around to checking Morgana Lefay out. I downloaded Grand Materia from emusic the other night and have been listening to it for the last couple of days. I can't get over how close the lead singer sounds like Jon Oliva at times! I would love to hear this band cover some old school Savatage like Power of the Night and Warriors. :headbang:

As for the album itself, I'm enjoying it. This sounds like a band that I can appreciate. Thanks for the recommendations!

~Brian~

Saw em at Chicago Powerfest and walked out after about 5 or 6 songs.
Granted, they were following Nocturnal Rites, so they had no chance winning me over, after having witnessed possibly the greatest power metal performance of all time (And I am not joking either)

The only Lefay I ever had was Seventh Seal. It was ok.
I have sampled some other stuff.

They actually sound more like an American band than a European band.
Vocals remind me of Load-era Hetfield.

I know booB will respond within 5 minutes bashing me to hell :lol:

...They actually sound more like an American band than a European band.

I can agree with you here. Some of their catalog - but certainly not all of it - reminds me at times of Sirens-to-Streets-era Savatage.

Vocals remind me of Load-era Hetfield.

actually less Hetfield and more Oliva. :headbang:

I know booB will respond within 5 minutes bashing me to hell :lol:

beat him to it... BASH!BASH!BASH!

:p :lol:

I specifically have the song "I ROAM" in mind, when making the Hetfield comparison.

For the record, I do like the LOAD album.

I am not a Morgana Lefay hater or anything.
I have tried em both live and on record.
Just not my thing.

If I were to try em again, what is their "Master of Puppets"??

Probably Maleficium. I don't really get the Hetfield thing except on some tracks from that album. The rest of the time he reminds me more of Oliva or a slightly lowered David Wayne. The rest of the band were definitely fans of Savatage and Metal Church. (for musicians, my cover band actually had played Rumors of Rain at one time and the guitar solo section is almost identical to the one from Metal Church/Metal Church).

Maybe I'm just old school on this one, but my favorite still remains "Knowing Just as I". I think it is their most diverse album, with a greater use of acoustics and mixing lighter and harder material. But honestly, you almost can't go wrong with this band. Brilliant stuff all around, and an easy blind purchase for any new release.

I will stand by the disappointed side on the newest album though. "Abberrations" just struck me as a little.... lazy? Songs didn't seem all that well fleshed out, and it seemed rushed out. Certainly a letdown after the spectacular "Grand Materia".

That Powerfest that featured Tad Morose and Morgana LeFay remains one of my favorite concerts of all time. Truly two bands that are absolutely at the very top of their game live in concert. Great stage presence, fantastic sound and song selections.

That Powerfest that featured Tad Morose and Morgana LeFay remains one of my favorite concerts of all time. Truly two bands that are absolutely at the very top of their game live in concert. Great stage presence, fantastic sound and song selections.

Agreed on all points. Absolutely fantastic performances! :headbang:

Nice to see the ML discussion on this board. I am rather surprised that more people haven't "caught on" to them.

I also agree that you cannot go wrong with any of their studio releases. Although I do have my preferences, they have yet to release an album that I don't like at all -- and I can't say that about many other bands.

Finally, regarding the Hetfield comparison -- I just don't hear it. Oliva, yes, but not Hetfield.

Morgana Lefay for the PPX Showcase! :headbang::kickass::worship:

Steph

Well, I got Sanctified over the weekend and I have to say this band just kicks my ass! :kickass: This makes my third CD that I've gotten from these guys and so far they seem very consistent. If you're an "old school"/pre-O'Neill era Savatage fan, then this band is a no brainer in my opinion.

~Brian~

Nocturnal Rites and Morgana Lefay back to back, holy shit, I never would of left after Nocturnal Rites, what idiots, considering both bands fit really well together. It wasn't like Blind Guardian followed by PoS, even though I was there much more for PoS, but enjoyed both bands(but I enjoyed PoS more, but hey, they are my fav band).

S.O.S. is definately my favorite release from them, also considering it was the first disc I heard from them and was one of the first few discs I listened to when first getting into power metal.